1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Faction Barriers and Roleplay

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Dairios, Apr 5, 2013.

?

Do you believe Dominion and Exiles should have some Socialization?

1. Agree! Factions should at least be able to Communicate.

50.0%
  2. Disagree! We're not here to talk, we're here to win Nexus.

37.9%
  3. Neutral. I don't really mind either way.

12.1%
  1. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

The official forums can provide this functionality as well. Even take it a step further, a Teamspeak server. "Logic" arguments on why you should be allowed to speak to each other are not always applicable in RPGs especially when they are purposely trying to create an adversarial atmosphere.
    Sassaroth likes this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Cupcake

I find it funny how several posters have stated that WoW is actually the oddball when it comes to faction barriers yet a sizable number people in this thread act like it is the 'standard way' of an MMO and not having a faction barrier would somehow 'be out of the norm.'
    Exodus_31 and Silais like this.
  3. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

At the very least I think opposing factions should be able to communicate through /say and /shout. Feel free to ban whispers and mixed faction chat channels too, but the complete isolation of factions is something I don't agree with. You could even ban all communication in instanced PvP, but allow other factions to communicate through say, shout, and emotes in the open game world.
  4. Split_Light

Split_Light Cupcake

I'm not even really a role player, I just want cross faction chat so I can talk with my friends when they're playing the other side.

City of Heroes had the best chat system of any game I've played. With it's global ID system you could talk to anybody on any faction on any server. It meant I could talk to my friends and guildmates no matter where they were. We set up a global chat channel for our guild so that if somebody felt like playing the other side, or was playing with a friend on another server we could still talk.

For those afraid of griefing there is always ignore. I believe CoH also had a click box in the settings that would disallow cross faction chat for that character, so if you didn't want to deal with it at all you could just turn it off.

The only other argument I've heard against cross faction chat is that it allows cheating in PvP, but in this day and age with everybody using voice chat anyway the argument is moot.
  5. Sassaroth

Sassaroth Cupcake

That is a very good point. We do have a lot of ways to communicate that are not in game, but at times would slow down the game. I would not like to have to log out or alt tab of the game just to make a post on something that may or may not get read. We can try to define the logic of any situation, but we have not heard enough of the story yet to determine the exact atmosphere. Right now we can not assume anything other then there are two factions and they can shoot at each other. This means there is hostility but its not clear how far this goes, or what story arcs will take it.

So right now we are talking about different possible scenarios. The question arises, what scenario would you prefer? Forget real life, what would we want the game's adversarial atmosphere to fully encompass? How would the ability to talk or not to talk to the other faction fit in?

There is no wrong answer.
  6. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Oh, don't worry, I would gladly kick your butt in the battlefield. :sneaky:
    I just don't hate the other faction. They have their own reasons to do what they do. :)
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Lol what are you, Dominion scum!? You wouldn't stand a chance. :)

Preposterous. Of course there is. It's any decision that doesn't agree with mine!
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Nope he doesn't hate them, he loathes them :p
  9. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Nah.. I'm with the Exiles.. mainly. :sneaky:
  10. Exodus_31

Exodus_31 Cupcake

Since one of the focuses of this thread is Roleplay, I figured I'd put this up to help those who don't RP understand why it's so alluring.

[​IMG]
  11. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

I get what that is saying, and that the my accomplishments is understated as a joke. Some people who don't understand RP, and do something more with their lives, may look at that and think like this "RPers like RPing, because they do nothing with their lives, go outside!" So, may not help those who don't understand, understand much at all ;)
  12. Kyro

Kyro Cupcake

I can understand limiting faction interaction from a mechanical standpoint and possibly as a way to increase/emphasize tension between the two factions, but in my experience it kinda dehumanizes the players on the other side of the divide and people are really kind of bad at separating a faction and the players of the faction (who usually can't influence what'll happen story-wise) as it is already. I'd love to see at least /say being cross-faction, even at the risk of having some try to abuse that (which is what /ignore and report are for.).

Certainly it is at least partially up to the community to police itself so as to avoid becoming a toxic hellhole like, say, the official forums of that other game, but the way the story is written and told also influences how this will play out. Given that Carbine have been pretty adamant about each faction having elements of good and bad and given that we've seen various devs liking different factions, I think this will not be a huge problem.

As I stated elsewhere, faction pride and friendly ribbing is great. It just needs to come with the insight that those who play the other faction are humans too and need to be treated accordingly out of game and as far as non-RP talk is concerned. From what I've seen of this forum, people are more playful than fanatical about their faction of choice so far, so I guess that points to good things right now. Quite possibly this ties into the game not taking itself super-seriously either.

'sides, and as a last point, there'll always be abuse and people going too far. In-game cross-faction communication will not change that either way.
  13. Xostro

Xostro Cupcake

Ok, there are way to many pages for me to backtrack haha, But didn't they say in a interview that they could talk to each other?

Hell even a black market option or something to talk and deal with each other would be cool. Imagine you could buy a black coat and fedora hat that lets you hide your identity and trade with enemy faction players and what not?[​IMG]
  14. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Just replace the "rping" section with "raid accomplishments" and it's the same dif.
  15. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

I'm surprised about the hate for faction chat barrier. I'm okay with it.I'm a faction fanatic and i will not talk too much to them, except things like "you will die for the dominion!" "exile sucks" or other things (i don't insult people, but i like to mess with their psychological and drive them mad. :D )

Wildstar will not have faction barrier? Ok, but just allow me to block enemy faction chat as an option, or i will have to block/ignore 30 players per day. In WoW i was the kind of player hated by enemy faction. I like ganks, kill low levels, i laugh at people when i'm kill them outnumbered and i was an assiduous practitioner of the ancient art of bubble heart. I love dirty tricks and this will piss exile players off.
  16. Silais

Silais Cupcake

While surfing the web, I came across what appears to be part of the transcript of the 'Lunch with Jeremy Gaffney' kinda-sorta-interview. It appears that cross-faction chat was actually addressed to some degree, which you can view below:

http://www.wildstar-core.com/2013/07/11/over-lunch-with-jeremy-gaffney/#crossfactionchat

Full section:

"‘In open PVP there’s a big difference between someone killing you and then saying generic gibberish or having everything an exile guy says coming out as ‘your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries’ etc. There is a big difference between killing nameless elf and not being able to talk back and forth or having someone taunt you, then realising it’s a 14 year old saying nasty things about you. That’s probably the single most compelling reason, part of that is it cuts down on support calls and griefing dramatically.

That’s not a benefit to the roleplaying community at all and I can completely understand why you want cross faction chat in role playing. If you make it a flag per server, then what do you incent? As soon as there is a benefit to having that in PVP all of a sudden all the PVP’ers flock over to the RP servers. There is probably not a sweet spot in there, it could be opt in but then how much are you really going to benefit from it. Could be unlockable, could be something you earn through progression or something like that.

UO is a good example for this, the way their subscription patterns went. The game shot up 200,000 subscribers and then it was dropping down pretty regularly down to 15o,000, then 100,000, which still if you do the math is fairly decent money. Then a new guy took over who went on to do SWTOR and other stuff later on but he was the live producer for them. He basically cleaned up the city, he put in you could no longer have racist names, he started banning the <REDACTED> out of people, he got rid of gold farming as much as humanly possible. He got rid of swearing, racist language, names in chat and all these kinds of things; he really cleaned up the town. The subscriber numbers reacted and peaked at 275,000. He enforced a cleaner environment for play and you listen to the forums people hated that because they wanted it to be the Wild West. Although if you look at the numbers the fact he kept people from f***ing with each other I really think that was what did it. So it’s the kind of thing where I’m not sure what the proper answer is to how much policing you do. The world loses something when you take out the Wild West from it, there is something compelling to being out there where bad things happened, things are resolved and great stories come out of it. That being said if I want to be screamed at by a 15 year old I can always just go play Call of Duty.

EQ had a good answer to this, where if you listened to enough people speak Elvish eventually you would raise your language skill high enough be able to understand them. Probably having listening be opt in, whether that is systemised or flagged or whatever is the best idea.’"

While I take issue with a few of the things he talks about, I'm pleased to see that the idea is not entirely off the table on a 'just because' sort of mentality, and I would support an opt-in or unlockable system like what Everquest had.

The idea needs some tweaking and further discussion, but it does look like that concerns are being addressed, at least in part.
    Livnthedream likes this.