1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Favorite Raid Encounters/Mechanics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by pseudo, Sep 3, 2012.

1. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

It seems as though the majority of the people who hang out here a lot are raiders and because Gaffney has stated that a lot of the content designers are currently working on elder game content, I was thinking it would be cool to talk about some of our favorite raid boss mechanics of games past.

Right now, I'm waist-deep in Guild Wars 2, and while it's great, I can already feel my focus on the game waning. A lot of this has to do with the lack of true progression-focused PvE engame content. If anything, it's why I'm so excited for Wildstar!

Anyway, I will kick this off right.

Assembly of Iron (WoW -- Ulduar)
    Who doesn't like AoI? I love the mechanic of fighting three bosses at once, of doing pointed burns and holding off killing a boss until the last possible second. It was, to me, one of the first moments I remember of leading a raid that really "clicked" and worked with each other. Assembly of Iron -- especially going for the heroic kill -- remains one of the coolest parts of feeling as though everyone was on the same page, solving the puzzle.

Algalon (WoW -- Ulduar)
    As you'll come to see, I have a thing for ridiculously difficult things. Say what you will about WoW raiding, the upper echelons of the game are very difficult. Algalon remains one of the most memorable encounters for me even if we didn't get it until later into WotLK. He's a <REDACTED>, and I simply love the dancing involved in taking him out. One of the things I realized while writing this list was how much I enjoy the dance and people being where they need to be. To me, this is what makes raiding so exhilirating: that constant movement, or at least constant awareness of your surroundings and knowing what you need to do if any of a dozen things were to happen.

Infiltrator Johlen (Rift -- Greenscale's Blight)
    This fight holds a very special place in my heart, and the reason is because I hated it so much. Johlen was only the second raid boss to a brand new MMO and he was as tough as nails. So much so that he was commonly referred to as a guild destroyer. Literally. After weeks and weeks of wipes, guilds would dissolve after never being able to defeat this guy.

The reason it was so difficult is because it was both a gear check (to a certain extent), and a dumb check. Johlen really set the bar for Rift raiding going forward and was really Trion saying "you want hard raids? We'll give you hard raids." It involved 3 phases: first, the burn phase where Johlen wasn't actually doing too much; the second was the dodge phase where you would have to dodge (obviously) an intricate braiding pattern of orbs that, if touched, would explode and kill you as well as anyone else in your area (dumb check); and finally, the gear check phase where a bomb would get set in the middle and if your raid didn't "kill" it fast enough, it would wipe your raid. It was, to say the least, a total <REDACTED>... but that's what made it great and why I remember it so vividly.

Greenscale (Rift -- Greenscale's Blight)
    The epitome (to me) of what a good boss raid is supposed to do. It's fast, it's furious, it's loud, it's exhilirating. One of my favorite parts about Rift is the flexibility each class has, and in Greenscale, you simply had to utilize your class's flexibility. Are you a melee-centric dps? Hope you know how to do ranged damage. Casters, are you pretty happy with how good you are at laying down the dips? Well that's great, but you need six or seven healers for this fight, so you better know how to heal, too. And tanks, get ready to use that oft-neglected Void Knight build for like the first or second time you've ever used it.

Greenscale, to me, was the perfect encounter for Rift's first raid. It was almost blindingly difficult with the first four or five attempts ending within 30 seconds of the fight starting. But taking him down was one of those moments that I won't ever forget.

Matron Zamira (Rift -- Hammerknell Fortress)
    A three tank fight with so many cool little bits. Zamira highlights important tenants of self-direction, the ability of raid leaders to deal with an intense mix of commands, and really intelligent dps. Basically, the fight boils down to being able to manage both dots on tanks, opportune target switching from offtanks and ranged dps, raid leaders calling out when to "birth" hordes of adds (lot of weird stuff going on here from a story perspective), and then being able to deal with all of this while keeping up a significant amount of dps on the boss.

I love this fight because of how everything gravitates towards the middle of the room. It feels very much like a synchronized dance (as do a lot of these other encounters, bu tthis one in particular) as people and adds find their way towards the tanks. When done correctly, it's really quite beautiful to see.

Ragnaros
    Ragnaros (Cataclysm edition) was the last raid boss I have completed in a progression environment. This fight is incredible -- from the insane damage to all of the little things that people need to do to make the fight successful (from air jets to being able to spread out and collapse correctly), the fight is, if anything, a reminder of the great parts of pure raiding.

So that's it (this got long). While proprietary action bars, vehicles, and new mechanics are great, I will always prefer straight up movement fights that have unforgiving timing mechanics and intense demands on movement.

I want to hear your favorite bosses and mechanics in raids! Let's hear 'em.
  2. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I personally liked the Heigan the Unclean (WoW - Naxxramas) fight in 10 man. It was an amusing fight with having to dance around the room to avoid the death zones. Of course it might be the mass ridicule members of my team received when they failed. That was always amusing :D

Really any fight that had an interesting mechanic to it was OK with me.
  3. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

The first boss of Blackwing's Lair. (Vanilla 40 man.) The madness that causes when you go in the the first few times... Fantastic! Most of the rest of the time since I'm a healer I only see green bars, so most raid fights are all the same to me :p Lich King, only because I always get dragged into the sword. (Oddly I was the only healer who could get through that. luckily for us. Shaman ftw) The rest of them are meh.

I'm not really a raider though. It's my 'I've done everything else, may as well do this 'till the next expansion' thing. I'm more a solo PvE/achievement farmer.
  4. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

For nostalgia's sake, I loved Ragnoras (sp?) in vanilla MC. But recently, I really really enjoyed the council fight in Eternity Vault (SWTOR). The reason was because it was a change in raid mechanics where instead of the group vs. the boss, it was everyone had to do their own part. Very fun (at least in my opinion).

There are other ones I loved, but those two are the only ones I have reasons for :p
  5. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

I really liked most of the encounters in Kara.

Like the Opera one where you had to kill Romeo and Juliet within seconds of each other or the big bad wolf one where someone got turned into red riding hood and had to kite the wolf around the stage.

I even liked umm...oh god my memory sucks. The dragon with the different light beams you had to stand in.
  6. Punx

Punx Cupcake

I'd have to go with...... the one where you're not supposed to stand in something. Really though I would have to say something like Blood-Queen Lana'thel in Icecrown, or any mechanic that gives you many variables to achieve the same outcome. As Billco said... Kara had it right too.
  7. Kirathis

I totally forgot about Opera. Opera was a lot of fun. Of course part of what made raiding fun for me was the banter in my group. When you have 10 great people who love to razz each other it makes for interesting times. I also loved when we got powerful enough to power own Attumen the Hunter. Nothing like watching him splat LOL.
  8. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

I just did these two fights for the first time this week, and loved them both. Johlen's amazingly chaotic at the end, and you just end up running on your own and hoping you don't die before you burn him. Zamira requires a TON of concentration and communication, which I really appreciated.
  9. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

I think that the common problem with healers in most games is that you do end up spending a good portion of the fight looking at bars instead of the action, but for some of the more demanding fights, you pretty much have to train yourself to become a chameleon with two independently moving eyeballs!

I have never done Kara (and probably never will, but this description is going to make me go watch the video haha. I really like the concept of incorporating concepts that are outside the usual "dark dreary dungeon" that we usually see in raids. Fighting Romeo and Juliet seems to fit that idea quite nicely ;)

Regrettably, I never made it to max level in SWTOR. I wish I had more time to devote to that game when it came out, but regrettably, I was between jobs and had very limited playtime. I definitely like the idea of individual skill checks... I think anything that makes you augment how you view a game AND how you play the game should be considered a good thing. The joy from these encounters comes from learning about how to maximize your role in any given fight, so figuring out how to deal out enough damage to down your own elite mob sounds, if nothing else, to be an interest mechanic.
  10. Billco

I do feel there needs to be a good balance of ZOMG GUILD DESTROYER raids and , well not so epicly hard ones.

Do we feel like going on an intense sweatfest raid tonight or something a little easier? Not faceroll easy mind, but just easier.

The Kara raid I mentioned would prolly be an example of the easier scale of things. Course I remember when it first came in and was considered hard. But mechanics wise ,its pretty simple.

That said, it was still enjoyable. Heck sometimes we'd go back in there and group it (when we were like 85 or something) just for the fun of it and the nostalgia factor.

But then back in EQ i'd often be seen hanging out in Crushbone derailing zone trains or just buffing the lowbies - so maybe thats just me :)
  11. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Demi-plane of Blood from DoD EQ1 expansion. Tried to find the intro music from entering the last boss room, mayong mistmoore, it was really awesome back then finally getting to that point. No luck finding it though :-( Loved the sisters fight and the sing-song gambit too, it was different types of encounters.

I liked all of wotlk raids, but sometimes I miss the puzzles from EQ.
  12. Jason Sweeney

Jason Sweeney New Cupcake

Kara was a great raid... It balanced a lot of different looks in one instance.

Original ZG and Ulduar seems to have a feel for something that might fit into WildStar, all the dead gods and tech and whatnot.

Fave Boss mechanics? Polarity, Deep Breath, and Garrotte.
  13. Tiktak

Oh god. I remember back in Vanilla my favorite fail moment was that. We triggered a Deep Breath and I was right underneath Onyxia. Swear I could see her tonsils! Everyone else had buggered off to the sides, but I was smack bang in the middle. I literally held my hands over my eyes irl, thinking I was -SO- dead. (However, I was also a Demonologist Spec Warlock with my Imp pet out and 6/8 Helheart and some other stuff with Fire resist) I dunno if I got the heal, but a second later after the sound effects died out I opened my eyes. My imp was dead but I was alive, on single digit health!
  14. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Hahaha awesome. Yes, Onyxia was one of my favorite encounters in WoW. Nostalgia for sure, but maybe the best part was you were finally able to kill her after a very long long quest chain. Multiple runs into dungeons and good story telling. That is what I hope to get back in Wildstar and so far it looks promising. Bring back the epicness Carbine!

Other encounters that I still remember today are Ragnaros (both Molten Core and Firelands), Nefarion in Blackwing Lair. Not a boss, but the gauntlet in BWL, found that really fun as well. Let's see, Arthas the Lich King of course. I thought it has great mechanics with the (dropping) platforms. A gear check encounter like Ultraxion in Dragon Soul I like as well from time to time. Pulling out a <REDACTED>load of dps to be able to kill the boss in time.
  15. Tiktak

A 'not fail': The tank ran in to pull Onyxia and start the encounter. Flashing across out chat bar the message: "Server restart in 15 minutes."

You couldn't have seen a more focused group of 40 people in a computer game. Ony was downed in 12 minutes, we had -just- enough time to distribute the loot before the server went down.
  16. Kirathis

Oh man, Mistmoore! I miss Mistmoore. Tried playing EQ again awhile back and nearly had to beat my head on the desk LOL! Ahhhhh the memories.

That was one other really great thing about EQ, it had AWESOME music for a lot of areas.
  17. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Hehe, me too, first time I died and had to run all the way from the guild lobby back to the far reaches of a zone I died in, I just thought, Hell No Way, and logged out. I am competitive, I do love a good pve challenge, but I dislike inconvenient timewaste like corpse running through 6 zones.
  18. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

If you can't stand the current version of EverQuest, there's always Project 1999!
  19. Billco

between that and SWGEMu I can be a kid again!!!! :)
    starspun likes this.
  20. Kirathis

I tried out Project 1999 awhile back. I have been spoiled by useful UI mechanics in newer games. The mechanics drove me nuts. However, I have to say that EverQuest still has the best overall game world I have played in. Nothing modern holds a candle to the shear scope of EQ1.