1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Favorite Raid Encounters/Mechanics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by pseudo, Sep 3, 2012.

1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

EQ1 world could be awesome with modern ui and less obsolete game mechanics, like more of the modern conveniences to avoid needless timezinks only those without job and without other hobbies don't mind.
    I see people wishing for the old timezink days, but honestly, how many mature real lifers will stay interested if a good deal of their time is spent on mechanics intended to be timezinks with no growth/benefits/entertainment value?
  2. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

*sigh* granted EQ was my first ever mmo, so it had all the newness and novelty value but I still remember rolling my toon and getting met by my friend that introduced me to the game and had been playing a while...he took me for a little tour, ended up crossing the commonlands hugging the wall because I was too wimpy to defend against anything.

I remember finding a wisp and being amazed by it...

God I miss that game...or rather, I miss how I felt playing that game. I have tried to go back, even tried the progression servers they did...just wasn't the same...
  3. Billco

I had a full time job back when I was playing EQ. I never thought of these things as time sinks back then. I mean, in my mind....if I logged on and all I managed to do was get from one area to another via a boat trip or something and then log off, THAT was my accomplishment.

It mean the next night, i'd be in the area I wanted to be ready to quest or whatever.

I still feel the same way now. Accomplishment doesn't have to be yay I gained a level, or anything like that. It can be as simple as, got from A - B without dying.
    Tiktak likes this.
  4. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

None of us thought about it back then, because we did not really know anything else, it was something new. I doubt you will find it as entertaining today to spend most of your limited session getting from point a to b to be ready next time you log on to actually do something.

You hit is right on, it is about how we felt about gaming back then. That is what people want to find again, but those times are not comming back, because it requires that we have not experienced a lot since then to still find pleasure in how it worked back then. Nostalgia trips more often than not tarnish the memories, when you realise how your own world has twirled away from where you originated as a gamer.
  5. Billco

Yeah I guess you could be right. I think I just have trouble letting go ;) sigh
  6. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

That just means that developers have to come up with something we have not experienced yet, as difficult as that may seem.
  7. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

Hit the nail on the head Siega. The memories and the feeling of sheer wonder and awe are what made EQ so great for me. Going back now is just painful. Makes me a bit sad.