1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Female Armor Aesthetics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kahlan, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, Tera overdoes it with skimpiness. It's just too much in Tera.
  2. Manes

Manes Cupcake-About-Town

Why not have options. Bikini type armor and cover-all armor coud be what you can craft or gain through loot in game. Find one that appeals to you, and perhaps Carbine can give us the option the copy stats over to it as you level. maybe even charge an ingame fee for it. ((Like how Wow and Tera have it.))
  3. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

</Admin Hat>
    Okay. I've sanitised this thread from orbit. It was the only way to be sure. Moving forward lets keep it on topic, and neither sexist nor personal. Thanks people!
    Khrusky likes this.
  4. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Since everything else got edited out, I guess, I have to repost.

Female armor will always be a discussion, because female armor as a male gaze inventory in games have been around so long, that it is hard to push games away from status quo.
  5. Zerdav

Zerdav Cupcake-About-Town

Imo all things relating gender and sex can be completely omitted from this discussion. They are not only unnecessary, but can be, as plainly seen, derailing as well.

Aesthetics, that is the key word, and staying completely within its realm when addressing this topic, we can bring a smile to any-ones face.

Also, I don't think Aurin are pretty.

Hopefully your minds are blown enough now that we can avoid an ad infinitum loop that this thread is likely to turn into.
  6. SiegaPlays

7. Kraylore

Kraylore New Cupcake

Ah the age old debate.

I guess there's always that fine line - which seems to shift based on perspective and personal stance (oh the double meanings). Is it degrading or a bit of fun? Offensive or playful?

Personally I don't think it should be taken too seriously, I think the key is variety. Have both skimpy and more classy robes/armor. I know my partner is always looks forward for the next piece (whether it be sexy boots, new skirt or something that looks more bad ass).

I see WildStar as fun, playful and humorous - here's hoping for some white shorts with red love hearts?

-Kray
    Darkspur likes this.
  8. Darkspur

Darkspur Cupcake-About-Town

I say Yes ;)
    Kraylore likes this.
  9. SiegaPlays

Some find their character role in being sexy, some in being badass, some from being the alien next door and others from a variety of other components.

If sexy or a lot of skin is the only choice, which for some feels slutty, objectified and degrading, then the game have a problem - unless the games main theme is action based mature adult non-combat content.

In a scifi there is actually an extra layer to consider, when talking gear, that makes sense.

In fantasy, the armor should look like it have the functionally armor is supposed to have. Which makes a good amount of female armor in known fantasy games not make sense.

In a futuristic space adventure however it could be optional - because who says they need to wear clothing at all, that has the functionality of armor, if they are carrying a personal protective techno "shield"? The character could actually wear a leaf behind such scifi technology.

Who thinks a leaf is an awesome standard outfit because protection comes from a form of shield technology? Gear is after all a hindrance in a lot of ways for mobility, right :sneaky:
    Darkspur likes this.
  10. Darkspur

is this a trap.....:cautious:......I like leaves, generally speaking, not sure Id wanna wear one though :eek: Siega's right and the game is predicted to be PEGI 13 rated I think so having options to dress like you want to, to best express your virtual self has got to be the way to go.

Choices for the players :D cause the concept of what is slutty or too revealing is very much a controversy and the game is globally distributed so options is definately the way to go.
  11. SiegaPlays

12. Ayr

Ayr Cupcake-About-Town

Have skimpy armor sets and non-skimpy armor sets. And make them re-skinnable (ie AION).

You can find a hangup/moral hangup in any issue. I find it interesting that people complain about armor sets being revealing, but not at people killing each other, in game. Issues of racial segregation and stereotyping? Any threads on that? Nope, can't see any. But Princess Leia's bra, now that's a real cookie!

I'm being flippant of course. Simply cater to everyone as best as possible. :)
  13. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

[​IMG]

Yes. Yes. Yes, please. YES
    Gôre, Huffle Puff, Kataryna and 5 others like this.
  14. Irimii

Irimii Cupcake

That armor looks amazing. I really like the skull boots :D
    Darkspur and Wreck like this.
  15. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

The female aesthetic armor debate is being spurred by the fact that more and more women are playing video games and many MMOs are still catering to the male demographic and male fantasy. The nature of video games is to kill. We don't question it because they're cathartic.

I'm addressing this very point and others about sexism in video games on my personal website right now. Essentially, I take comments from forums and articles around the web about a topic, and counterpoint them. If anyone is interested in reading more about sexism in video games, I invite you to read the first article in the series: LVL1 Is female sexuality in games sexism?
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  16. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

It's a nice cut, but tell me what she is planing to do with those melons she is smuggling. She clearly isn't going to eat them. OK body shape aside it's nice looking armor. Though I can't figure out if it is a set or not. The colors match, but the top bottom boots all look like they are from different sets.
    Darkspur likes this.
  17. Ravern

Ravern New Cupcake

ideal armor for me... ( for all characters ) something between WoW and SWtoR... because WoW have nice armors but they have big problem with look ... they thing "bigger" is "better"... or they put alot of "things" and details on it... THEY ARE WRONG... its NOT armor... how can u play with character when u cant even see that character... SWtoR make same clean and simple models of armor ( old models )... an they look good... yea they have some problems with size ... but u can see your character...
    and i think... with armor sometimes "less" is "more" ( especially for details ) because after all u play with your character not with waking armor...

PS: in SW was color desing for armor... u can put other pieces of armor in same colors as your chest piece... makes character look much cooler...
  18. Darkspur

Couldnt (and wouldnt again) say it any better myself THANK YOU :D
  19. Irimii

Irimii Cupcake

I think that one of the things GW2 got really right was the dye system (though I wish it was account bound) and the transmutation stones. I almost feel spoiled by it because you can come up with so many neat looking armor combinations without looking like everyone else. I hope we get something at least somewhat similar.

Though back on topic, I pretty much agree with what others have said in that they just need to provide enough options. I don't mind skimpy armor since I occasionally will dress my character that way but I hate when it is my only option.
    Darkspur likes this.
  20. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

where did you get this image from? Can't find it on the official site.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.