1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Female Armor Aesthetics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kahlan, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

What.

The Balls.

Are you all going on about?

Reality attack - This is what the Wildstar characters are depicted wearing:

[​IMG]

Dirty combat jeans and a T-shirt with oil on it.

[​IMG]

Full spaceplate and a some kind of hair-tent?

[​IMG]

A carpet.

[​IMG]

An Alienware branded metal trenchcoat.

What kind of bizzare reality distortion field would you have to be living inside to be arguing about space-bikinis and an evening gown in the context of Wildstar? For 19 pages? There's only 1 character that is portrayed sexually in the concept material, and it's a bloody lizard woman with horns and scales, that is clearly intended to be a comic relief pin-up for the Granok accessories.

Do the female character models have hips and breasts? Why yes they do! Because the designs are drawn in an exaggerated cartoon style. Stylised art exaggerates important features of the subject so that they stand out and easily convey the artist's intention.

The features of a clothed male body shape that most cleary distinguish it as male are broad shoulders, thick arms and a heavy jaw. The features of a clothed female body shape that most clearly distinguish it as female are breasts and wide hips. I'm sorry, but that is how you're made, it's in the Wiki and everything. That is why when an artist wants to create an exaggerated silhouette that clearly differentiates between important player choices such as wether your character is male or female, they emphasise those features.

It isn't a male chauvinist conspiracy, it isn't pandering to 12 year old boys, it's human anatomy and the natural exaggeration of it for stylistic purposes. If this type of art style is offensive to you then you should probably take it up with Disney first, because they damn well invented this look, and one of their employees is also involved in the art direction of WS.

Disney, you sleazy pit of male sexual lust and unsavoury intentions, how dare you put wide hips on our giant space bunnies!
    MrsJ, 9bit, Narrack and 4 others like this.
  2. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

Having the option for modest armor in game for females will not take anything away from the game...or from the other players in the game.

Whether you like to bare it all or keep it all covered...should be your choice.

Yep....there are always ladies and gentlemen that love to run around in their undies in game ... no one is trying to take that away from them.

It's important to a significant number of ladies that want to play the game that their armor ... be modest. Their viewpoint should be respected...as should everyone's.

Carbine seems like a pretty smart group ... maybe they have this stuff on the drawing board already, maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see.
  3. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Long reply short, this thread was created back in January. Long before those screen shots, long before Meet the Dominion, long before Meet the Exiles, long before we had any good indication on how the armor in Wildstar would look outside of a few pieces of concept art and the pre-rendered trailer.

It's a discussion, people discuss things. I know you probably think it's silly, but if you took all the pages for every thread discussing LFG tools, or every thread discussing flying mounts, they would add up to waaaaay more than 19 pages.

This is a tiny thread in comparison.
    Joukehainen and Rylia like this.
  4. Rylia

Rylia Cupcake

I think people were basing their concerns on past MMO experiences, which isn't at all unreasonable, especially when they're consistent.
  5. DrThreaded

DrThreaded Cupcake

...Did both of you forget that you can have functional armor that also looks good / crazy?
  6. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Pretty much, I mean, if Secret World a game based in the real world can have item dimorphism like this....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

(pssst guess which ones are the girls)

...anythings possible and you can't trust any promotional material

(note, that those outfits are the ones made after the Korean subcontractors stopped making them)
  7. Rylia

Rylia Cupcake

To reiterate what others have said, nobody should dictate who wears what.

@Vyver - That serial killer outfit is priceless.
  8. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Believe it or not it's a step up from previous outfits.

Like for instance, this was released at the same time as this

and this was released at the same time as this

what do those things have to do with each other? it's a bigger mystery than the main plot of the game.
  9. Rylia

Rylia Cupcake

I... I don't even... :cautious:

Also:

[​IMG]

Nope, nothing out of the ordinary here.
  10. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure where WS is actually going to end up when it lands. We have seen a small handful of bra armors, but they don't seem to be the majority. Though this thread is more of a don't you dare rather then a how could you. People know the trope with mmos and no one wants to see it repeated in WS. A preemptive strike if you will.
  11. Rylia

Rylia Cupcake

That's a pretty spot-on assessment. :up:

My personal stance is,"Since you inevitably will, at least objectify both sexes."
  12. Twinflame

Twinflame Cupcake-About-Town

Whadafuh
  13. Discord

Discord New Cupcake

Bottom line is, the more the choices, the better.
    Trahma likes this.
  14. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

I see frustrating leg slit on an otherwise really nice outfit (WHY? WHY?); an outfit that is okay but on the female human model, with their utterly deformed chest area, will look absolutely horrendous and already kind of does because them boobs be pushed up so hard; and... what is going on with that last one? Did she forget a shirt and so put on a scarf or something? And why the shorts?

Why can't one of these ladies wear an awesome hoodie or vest+shirt combo like the guys on the left?! D:
  15. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

It's not like the male ones have seen any fashion designer either, the one with the red outfit looks like hell. :D
  16. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

Women don't wear SWEATERS. How would you properly convey the astonishing bust-to-waist ratio in something as shapeless as a sweater? Also, being a woman, I have it on good authority that we never get cold ever. In fact, most of the time we are suffering from being overheated, which is why it's imperative that any armor set which has full length pants on a male model must be magically transformed into shorts on a female model. Our legs just give off that much heat. Pants would LITERALLY cook us alive. I'm sure you know very well. These are safety precautions, people.
    Joukehainen, Naunet and Rostinoble like this.
  17. Rostinoble

Rostinoble New Cupcake

*Shrug* We'll just have to see, really. I don't doubt we'll see some revealing early to midgame outfits on the females, but I highly doubt that the epic Elder Game female armors are going to be all flesh and no mesh. That would really take away from the armor's actual design. Also, I think that female characters are much more attractive in full gear that actually looks like it's going to mitigate some damage. There's just something about a rough-and-tumble female adventurer that seems pretty kickass.

And it's not like a female character can't look feminine in full armor. Making skimpy outfits on females because "hey, they're females" just shows the lack of creativity of the designer. They can't put together how females in armor could look like females or look attractive. Either that or they're a giant horndog. I have some confidence in these designers, though. Look at all of the creative things they've come up with. I really think that the players of female characters have no worries, honestly. Don't take my word, but it's just a feeling I have from seeing what the devs have already put out for this game.
    Joukehainen and Cottonspore like this.
  18. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

I agree that what we've seen of the WS's armor so far is pretty inoffensive. I'm pleased... for the moment. I trust Wildstar's devs to not be typical about the female armor, because very little about Wildstar is typical. But that trust can very, VERY quickly evaporate. You can't deny the precedent is pretty terrible. But otherwise, I do think that we're seeing pretty decent armor so far.

I do take issue with your thesis that the shape of the female models is because "that is how you're made." (I assume you're addressing us ladies when you say "you're.") Actually, you might be interested to learn that women come in a variety of shapes, which this handy chart breaks down with exaggeration of those shapes for convenience. Some of those shapes have small breasts and large hips and some have small breasts and small hips and broad shoulders and yet, in defiance of god himself perhaps, women who are not shaped with an hourglass figure still look just like women. They happen to be women, which is why. Those different shapes can still be exaggerated, even, and still end up easily recognizable as women. There is even a picture by Cory Loftis himself of a female character whose hips, waist and bust are all nearly the same size. On that chart, she would probably fall under "rectangle shaped" and yet I do not mistake her silhouette for a man's, and she exists clearly well within the realm of "cartoons." Exaggeration of the breasts and the hips and the diminishing of the waist is not necessary for a woman to be instantly recognizable as female. The hourglass shape is not the ultimate personification of womanliness, it is only one shape out of many equally womanly shapes because those are all shapes women can have. It is the current vogue shape, and that is all. In the 70s, small hips and a large bust was vogue and THAT exaggeration would have been "necessary" for the models to read as female. And in the 1400s, the vogue shape was to have little round baseball-size boobs on a frame that was wide in every other way. See: paintings by Titian.

But the point is any body shape a woman can have IS "how we're made." And all of those shapes can be exaggerated and still tell the viewer they are looking at a woman. The decision to make the waists tiny and the hips and breasts large and exaggerate those things in particular is one keeping with modern day ideas of sex appeal. And that, as you pointed out, is the artists' intention which is so skillfully conveyed by exaggeration. It is by no means a design necessity.
  19. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Oh. Of course! Silly me! D:

Cottonspore, I would like to marry your post above mine, please and thank you. :inlove:
  20. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

It's true. In my country during winter, men wear warm clothes and have hats on their heads while women wear knee-long skirts and never wear anything on their heads unless they're past the age of 40. This clearly proves that women of ages 15-39 have a much increased resistance to cold...or they're just stupid and willing to brave the cold just so they look more attractive. I guess we will never know the answer. :(
    Rostinoble likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.