1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Female Armor Aesthetics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kahlan, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rostinoble

Rostinoble New Cupcake

I agree. Again, the choice to have only itty-bitty waists with bazookatits is another uncreative, unperceptive implementation by someone who does not know variable human anatomy. Of course, obviously this is all speculation. Females, without exception, have back-breaking gigantoboobs with a waist that would snap trying to support that weight. We all know this, right? Pft. As an example, some devs think "who wants a huge, square woman with no bust?", but they don't know that there are some who do, actually. I don't think it's too hard to have a couple body builds, or maybe some sliders, but then again, I could be wrong. I'm no dev. xD For example, look at Gwendoline Christie. She plays Brienne of Tarth on Game of Thrones. Blocky build, no major curves, no huge breasts. Six foot three. Absolutely gorgeous. She looks male as Brienne with armor, but you can tell she's female (by far my favorite GoT character).

In some games, it's the same with males. Some games have it so that males have to be chiseled and strong-looking, and even if you choose the bulkiest build, you're still just a wall of muscle. Ugh. Not my preference. I'm so glad male Aurin are feminine, and there seems to be some slim builds for male humans. And while we're on the subject of races, I believe some of the choice of build is going to come from race, and that's something I guess we can fall back on when we can't build our preferred race of choice the way we want.

Now to look from another perspective. I can see where the presence of somewhat larger breasts might be needed on some races. Take a look at Aurin again. Without at least a noticeable chest on the women, it's going to be very hard to discern males from females from afar. But is that so bad? The answer is still no, even from this perspective. Names, personalities, and character details such as hair and face are going to tell the inquirer "yes I am a female character". And really, who cares what random people, whom you may never interact with, think you are? People who know you will know what your character is. And who you are, if you want them to. That matters. That's it.
    Daynejah likes this.
  2. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Yea, unfortunately though that can be said for the males, it's not so for females. The female human and granok silhouettes are nearly indistinguishable. :(
  3. DrThreaded

DrThreaded Cupcake

Uh-huh....and I said people can wear whatever they want so long as they don't pretend it's armor when it's not.

You know that pretty Valentine's Day dress WoW has? If they wear it into PvP they get 1 shot for several good reasons, because even WoW with all it's zaniness understands why it should work that way.

If you want to roll with the "Everyone can wear anything ever and be fine regardless of the environment" fantasy bull go right ahead, but Tera does this and in practice it doesn't work well at all.

On a secondary note, I personally hate it when developers, particularly the art and design guys, put in all that creative thinking and work time to make interesting armor for games just to get shafted by whomever took 2 hours to create and model a bikini to sell in some cosmetic cash shop for $9.99
  4. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I actually have this problem in real life. I practically cook in the summer (and most of the winter), but unlike a video game character I can keep cool without magic hot-pants.
    Daynejah likes this.
  5. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

Guild wars is starting to really annoy me with this-There's all this adorable costuming but I can only wear it when I'm not fighting which for me as I'm still not 80 is never. I understand your pvp concerns for sure-but what about pve? Can't I at least prance around in the costumes that look like armor?
  6. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

I also sort of agree that aurin need larger breasts-even if it's just to keep them from looking too childlike and then we get into the whole pedophilia issue with the ellin in Tera. I'd definitely like to avoid that as much as possible in a game I like. I definitely don't want to have to come up with excuses for why the devs I love did something silly like that.
    Rostinoble and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  7. Vanor

Vanor Cupcake

In WoW armor will be by and large determined by what it's made of.

In WS however there's no reason why somewhat skimpy armor can't offer fairly meaningful protection because the protection comes from force fields and other technology, rather then how much metal the armor is made. So to make some sort of argument like you are is simply ignoring the setting of the game.
  8. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

Using your logic...why do the male toons have so much armor?
  9. BamfkingJDM

BamfkingJDM New Cupcake

And what happens when force fields/shields fall? Get ripped to shreds by your foes?
  10. DrThreaded

DrThreaded Cupcake

All right, you're either trying to pull one over on me or are an...well I better keep that to myself.

There are 3 things in the background of this website that already show why armor is used, one of which you're using as an avatar. In fact, the rock man that is rock solid happens to be wearing the most armor too.

Am I rocking your world view yet or do I need some more solid evidence?
    Joukehainen likes this.
  11. Vanor

Vanor Cupcake

Yes please provide me your proof that more physical armor = more protection in the Wildstar universe.
  12. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

I am wildly crazy about this fan art by DYSP.

This is an example of a feminine toon that is not overly sexualized but is still appealing. She has moderate sized boobs, tiny waist, and fabulous gams as well as fairly sensible armor. I'd pick this as my avatar anytime.

[​IMG]
  13. DrThreaded

DrThreaded Cupcake

I don't feel obligated to bother.

Ask yourself, if rockman in the background didn't need that armor why would he wear it at all?
    Boulder Brains
  14. Naunet

Doesn't work well? Please, explain! Because I honestly am rather happy with how TERA's armor is pulled off for the most part. With a few race/armor/gender exceptions - namely castanic female plate - I generally have options to wear more revealing armor or less revealing armor. If I don't like the upgrade I just got, then I can re-skin it easy as pie.

Take two of the most sexualized races in the game: high elf and castanic. If I'm a castanic light armor class, I could choose to wear something like this or go nuts in this, which I find kind of hideous but hey, opinion is subjective. Or say I'm a cloth-wearer, I could pick something like this, which is really cute and tomboyish, or go all out lingerie in this, which by the way is absolutely beautiful even though it is kinda skimpy. TERA models sheer fabric very well.

High elves, the other uber-sexualized race in the game, have options as well - including in heavy armor, which castanics don't really get because they're all variations on plate-kinis (sadly). A light armor-wearer could choose to don something rather rugged like this, or they could... well, I'll just leave this here. A large number of the lower level heavy armor for high elves is rather protective, but my favorite has got to be this one, but if I really wanted, I could run around in this. And in cloth, you've got everything from simple dresses like this to oh em gee boobies errywurr.

So yeah, for the most part, TERA handles things rather well, I think.

I'm with you on the whole cash shop costumes ruining the aesthetic of the game thing, though. Blech.
  15. Vanor

Vanor Cupcake

Look at him. The main difference between him and the other two characters is he has a breast plate, and has thigh pads.

Armor is going to provide physical protection but the amount of it, isn't the only thing that provides protection in a sci-fi environment. You don't need 150 pounds of steel to offer massive protection in a sci-fi world, you can provide much better projection with a small shield generator.

In fact depending on how the universe works, physical material can offer no meaningful protection at all.
  16. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

Proof that this thread doesn't have a majority of females posting in it. It's gone 21 pages. If it were run by a group of females it would have been 5 pages tops before an accord was reached.
  17. Vanor

Vanor Cupcake

Well the thread did start on Jan 29th...

But I think for the most part there is an accord reached. I think everyone agrees that the more options the better. People should to a point at least be able to look how they wish.
    Trahma and Kethrym like this.
  18. Naunet

It actually reached an accord, save for a few people who get a little crazy. No reasonable person would disagree that 1) There needs to be armor variety in terms of how revealing things are (and ideally, the guys would also get revealing armor), and 2) More character customization in terms of body type, or at least a chest slider.

Keeping the thread going helps keep this topic in the minds of the devs who do read this forum, though!
  19. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

I feel the need to point out she is wearing a sports bra for a top.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  20. Naunet

That was my thought exactly.

Why can't she have actual armor? And be significantly bulkier, like her male counterparts...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.