1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Female Armor Aesthetics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kahlan, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

One of the things to keep in mind with the offer everything idea. It's not enough to offer sexy and sensible armor if both types are still made to appeal to men. You want armor that women find flattering as well as armor that men find flattering.
    Auryn likes this.
  2. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

It's just gear. Even after WoW introduced transmog, I wanted the cool looking gear, not the stuff that showed the most ass.
  3. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Speaking for myself as a guy, I like a sexy outlook without showing any skin. Sexiness does not only include cleavage. The image I posted is what I find sexy and awesome, but totally acceptable to me and it doesn't show an inch of skin.

Not trying to look like a gentleman for the women here, I just can't seem to like "skimpy" outfits in a game.
    Ingsoc likes this.
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

i think that Rift's wardrobe feature with GW2's dye system would be awesome. also, for some female input, i kinda like the more sexy stuff (not the full blown hooker outfits, though! like the black mageweave from WoW... le sigh...) it's one of my problems with the Asuran females in GW2, all their outfits were exactly like the male outfits, no difference...and i wanted it to be at least a little bit different, so that you look at me standing next to a male Asuran and you can tell a bigger difference than "oh she's a little shorter than him."
    Zerdav and Evion like this.
  5. Kahlan

Kahlan Guest

Precisely!

A lot of gamers believe that providing women more options means A) no sexy clothing and B) unattractive females. In all the threads, in all the forums I have ever read about this topic, I have not seen one woman say, "No more sexy clothing!" or, "I want to be unattractive!" What I have seen women asking for is to be able to dress however they feel comfortable and in whatever is most flattering to them. What is flattering to one woman is not always flattering to another. This is especially true between genders. Me - I want to be pretty, not sexy. Its possible to be pretty without wearing a halter top and shorts so small and tight their hugging my navel.

Something like this:

[​IMG]

And, I also want men to be able to dress their fantasy up in whatever steel bra and bikini combo they can get their hands on if this is what makes them happy at the end of the day.

Like this:

[​IMG]

I just want an option.
    Joukehainen and Kurik like this.
  6. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

That armor is pretty awesome looking the first one that is, second one kind of scares me. :p
  7. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

I like both styles for both men and women. I like variety above all.

But I will say that sexuality doesn't necessarily imply something degrading (I'm also not saying that this is what anyone was trying to imply). Seeing a woman use sexuality powerfully is extremely attractive I think. My favorite example is Jora from GW1. She's clearly topless, but it makes her look powerful.

When it gets to the point where sexuality begins to make the character vulnerable or naked (in a figurative sense), I think that's when you begin to get into the negative aspects of sexualizing a character (a la TERA IMO).
  8. nomotog

You know I think everyone loves hide's character design. She was a very nice stand out in a game of big breasted barely clothed fighters. You second picture dosen't actually show up for me, so no comment on that.
  9. nomotog

That reminds me, something else to keep in mind it's that it's not just about the ratio of flesh to fabric.
  10. Renaise

Renaise Cupcake

Isn't that technically -not- offering everything then?

I'm pretty much of the opinion that more choice of styles to cater for everyone is the way to go, or at least as close to it as you can be.

Though as far as female armour is concerned I never understood the whole "It's not functional armour" statement when its a fantasy setting, in a world with magic and random <REDACTED> like that the normal rules do not have to really apply in my opinion.

But yes, offer revealing clothing and offer modest clothing, functional looking armour -and- off the wall fantasy (or sci-fi in this case I guess?) armour.

Vive la différence!
  11. nomotog

I might have dropped a comma or something, but what I mean to say is you cant just include one sexy armor and then one cool armor because both men and women have a different perspective on what is cool and what is sexy. You want to include armor that men find flattering and you want to include armor women find flattering. Then on top of that, you want to include things like silly armor, cute armor, *Insert style of character here* armor verity is king and queen.

I think depending on the setting you can be more or less flexible on what kinds of outfits pass for armor, but a lot of settings that use unrealistic female armor will also then use realistic male armor. If male armor is equally styled, I don't know if you will have too many complaints.
  12. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Sometimes the hint of skin is better than skin itself
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  13. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Yes, this!

Eeeexactly.

I love this thread.
    ( ^◡^)
    Tiberius and JarNod like this.
  14. pipedreams

pipedreams New Cupcake

There are a lot of varied thoughts and feelings on this issue. For me, as a female gamer, skimpy armor does not make me feel bad. It does not make me want to play males, and it does not drive me away from a game. In fact, in a lot of cases, I PREFER the skimpy sexy armor. If you have ever played an MMO Called Tera, you know that this is a game that does not lack in the skimpy half-naked armor department. There is one race in particular that is a shining example of this - I race changed to this race, because I liked their armor. Personally, in most cases I find fully covering armor to be extremely boring, with little to no flair. Not to say that there isn't ANY nice looking armor, I'm just a fan of sexy clothing design. Admittedly, IRL I am not confident enough to wear showy things, but I do like them, so the digital world is where I get to have my little escapist taste of something I don't do normally. Its like sluts on Halloween.
    ArsenicSpritzer likes this.
  15. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

While I absolutely agree that female toons shouldn't be scantily clad 24-7, (my personal opinion is that bikinis etc is good as "costumes" or "civilian" clothes, but not so much for armour, and that you should be able to choose whether to show the "costume" or the armour piece as you wish) I must admit that often times when games DO step away from the bikini armours they end up making dull, earth coloured, shapeless potato sacks or clothing that makes your character look like a male pop singer from the 80's...

I like intricate. I must admit I'm a bit over the top interested in pretty clothing (I collect dresses >.>) but patterns, bright colours and nice cut outfits, different silhouettes and materials are absolutely important to me and influences how likely I am to enjoy a game.

So while I hope we don't have to wear bikini tops as armour (and screenshots and videos seem to point in the direction that clothes cover more than in an average MMO), I also hope we get to play around with outfits, and that there can be both practical, pretty, and maybe an occasional sexy outfit in the bunch, so everyone's happy.

I hope we'll see both pants, mid-length skirts and long dresses on female characters, although I don't actually mind if the latter two are mostly for light and maybe medium armour, and I hope we'll see male characters having the same variation.

Just looking at the background image of WSC I think I won't be disappointed, just look at them, a fancy collared coat, massive shoulder pads and one of the coolest armours I've seen on a female character in a long time - and it fulfils the "rules" of dressing yourself classy: You can show some cleavage, or you can show some leg, but not too much of both!
  16. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Agreed!

Also, a staple: http://womenfighters.tumblr.com/

I don't mind the option for looking like a fetish stripper with high heels and everything, though I feel it should be for non-combat only (has no stats) and there has to be the equivalent option for male characters. Thongs, manikinis, etc. People tend to just laugh and think such outfits look ridiculous on men. That's exactly the way I feel about them on women, too. Especially when they're supposed to be in battle. (And yeah, people say "it's fantasy!" but you don't see the male armour looking like manikinis now do you. We must rectify this. :p It's not about moral hang-ups or problems with nudity. Fair's fair!)
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  17. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I was going to say what if you want to look like a skank? There should be options I agree; slooty and non slooty.
  18. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

19. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Not sure what has been said in the thread as I just read your OP. I am with you. I'm male and I have an 11 year old daughter who is starting to show interest in this genre. Depending on the class I will make a male or female toon. It has been very hard to create a female with my daughter wanting to play and the armor choices are ridiculous and impractical.

Although they definitely have some "hooker" types in GW2, one of the tings i like is that i have many choices and can find something a little more practical.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  20. Ronx

Ronx New Cupcake

I'm a female and I enjoy my fair share of skimpy armor, I know plenty of other females who do, and there have been others who feel the same on these very forums.
    As long as we have options everything is ok. From all the screenshots I've seen so far there is no reason to believe that female armor in Wildstar is limited to "hooker" armor so I don't really see how this discussion is actually related to this game.
    JarNod and Immaculata like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.