1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Female Armor Aesthetics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kahlan, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

I want to bring up the armor design for Diablo 3 Barbarians! The low tiers were very tribal warrior, with basic sandals, skirts/kilts/what-have-you, a basic chest rap, and a massive shoulder plate and arm guard for BOTH sexes. Skin was shown on both, but neither were sexualized. The female barbarian had arms so thick it was scary- she looked like a capable warrior. The armor was simple, fit the theme, and effective looking. I played the dude barbarian, but that doesn't mean I want full plate armor. It was fun to go around with my chest torn up, all intimidating like. I selected to play barbarian, not a knight.
    Daynejah likes this.
  2. Glacius

Glacius Cupcake-About-Town

I think it's great that Wildstar is going to have a transmog system and it's nice to be able to design items that can be used past a particular tier. What I don't like about it though is its implications in pvp. I think it removes an element of strategy.

For example, say you are in a bg that requires you to capture certain bases. You ride up to one that is owned by the other team and you notice that only one person is defending it (For this purpose lets say that there is really just this person there and that they are of equal skill) and the first thing people typically do is look at class and appearance to determine how geared this person is and figure out your chances based on these variables. If you add a system like transmog the person might be wearing a level 5 bikini set with a similar whimsical weapon. What now? Do I just dive in without at least trying to ascertain my chances? If I ever saw someone in full Grand Marshal gear with that big ass sword you bet your ass I wouldn't charge that person by myself unless I had equal gear or else I'd try to get a buddy to double team that person (Strategy)

You can see how it removes some strategy to pvp and simultaneously removes some fun from it. What's the point of I'm just jumping in without knowing what I'm up against? Sure I guess you could figure out if you get stomped but that can be up to other variables and I don't feel like alt tabbing to armory every person I come across.

I understand that transmog is a great feature but I also feel that it has some drawbacks.
    Mailroomclerk likes this.
  3. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Ah but your example also assumes PvP will have gear progression and not just cosmetic gear with everyone having baseline or otherwise equal stats. If there is no gear progression, there is no problem here.
  4. Nami

Nami New Cupcake

I am a guy and I don't want my girl looking like a tramp. I don't mind others dressing how they wish but my girl needs to stand out with style. Hopefully they will have some kind of transmog system.
  5. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

Speak for yourself. I am a female and I love the chainmail bikini stuff, it is a fantasy setting afterall.

I hope to see a wide variety of armor options (and my understanding is they have a transmog-esque system as well) so you can be as modest (or immodest) as you'd like.

Also please include some weird skimpy stuff for the males as well, it's only fair.
    Yinello, Kaewynn, Jynetik and 2 others like this.
  6. Glacius

Yes you are absolutely correct about that. However, I don't think that will be the case. From what I've seen and read there have been clues about tying the crafting systems to elder game and I also recall a dev stating that there will be a system that facilitates switching from PvP to PvE. I interpret this as supplementing a gear progression system as opposed to everyone having same stats.

If it were that way, then I would have trouble seeing how you could tie crafting to elder game if stats are constant.
  7. Rawhide

Rawhide Cupcake

If you give people options, then all will be happy.
    There are many women who like to dress modestly, and I can respect that and hope that the Devs allow them to be comfortable.
    However, there are also many women out there who enjoy being sexy and wearing revealing clothes and they should have that option as well.
    Chestnut Bowl likes this.
  8. Tiberius

WoW handled this really well. All gear was transmograble (that's a word now I guess), but upon entering any form of PvP arena or battleground armor would go to the default look. This kept geared players from hiding behind that 'noob' look.

I have absolutely no idea how that affected WvW because I played on a PvE server.
  9. Glacius

I'm hoping that there can be a system like that then. I'm also a big WPvPer so I'm unsure as to a solution for that one other than not allowing it, which I doubt is going to happen.
  10. Rawhide

Rawhide Cupcake

Space Banana Hammock FTW!!!
    Joukehainen and kiri like this.
  11. Tiberius

I just imagined applying it to WPvP: someone's running around in town clothes or whatever, and upon seeing you immediately tags himself for PvP and BOOM, transmog goes away, morphing him into full tier arena armor.

That would be an odd sight :\
  12. rivalcycle971

rivalcycle971 Cupcake

As long as it's not tera-esque it'll be okay
  13. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

WoW really went this way? That sucks.

If I transmog for whatever reason it's because I wanted to look that way. Seems silly to chance me to a default just so someone can decide if I look to strong to fight. Hell, man, you're in PvP for a reason. To Fight!!

And believe me, for once I am not trying to be rude and obnoxious. I truly think it's unfair to unmask me if I chose to look a certain way. Fight me and figure out if I'm to strong. Don't wuss out because you can tell I'm wearing the sword of awsomesauce.
  14. Syberchip

Syberchip Cupcake

I have to admit...in TERA I rolled a female character, and one time I actually went to the appearance vendor to cover up more (yeah, on purpose), as the new gear I won a roll on (upgrade) was just ridiculous, even for a male playing a female toon. When a gaming company throws respect out the window...that just goes too far for me. Maybe I'm just old fashioned...

Oh BTW, Carbine - don't ever do boob physics like Blade & Soul. I just got done trying that MMO out...OMG it was so overdone and fake it was ridiculously funny. I hope they don't launch in the west with that like that...OMG lol.
  15. Chestnut Bowl

Chestnut Bowl New Cupcake

Do it all. I like full plate as well as skimpy plate.
  16. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

I think female armor for MOST of the groups is gonna be okay. Look at that Dominion officer. that's an actual breast plate that's been shaped to have a woman's bosom contained in it without crushing them.

But at the same time, it's not "boob plate" which would channel any shots, stabs, arrows, or blows right into the heart/sternum area of the body because of the curvature.

Basically

U shape is good
    uu shape is not good.

Gotta agree here. The "noob armor" just adds another layer of depth to the Mind v. Mind and Skill v. Skill that is PvP.
  17. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

What about us men that want to dress sexy and revealing? don't we get that option as well!?! do I smell discrimination here?!?!?!?!

Hum... Now that I think about it... While this is partly joking, I think it is also a good point. Some people may want revealing clothing for their male, or robot/rock character. Would that be an option as well?
  18. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

I'm just going to requote this since some people seem to have missed it. :)
  19. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

There's only one answer.

Toggles. Every piece of armor has 2 types. Slutwear and Normal.

You go into your menu, and to the same area you turn on and off your cape and helmet. And then you choose between the two. If you want to dress modestly? Choose normal. Want to look like a hooker rather than like an adventurer? Choose slutwear :p
  20. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

That sounds like a good compromise. Nothing like a slutty male mechari dancing around the mailbox... or maybe not :S
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.