1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Female Armor Aesthetics

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kahlan, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Girls deserve their mechanical beef cake damn it!
    Yinello, Joukehainen and Kataryna like this.
  2. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

I COMPLETELY agree... Transmog really broke something important in WoW. You wore your gear as trophies, it was a sign of your "power" if you will. Low level guys looked like low level guys and if a guy was max level and looked low level then you know you had a real turd on your hands lol ;) It just sort of steps on the epicness of the gear. Transmog is sort of irrelevant in WoW now that EVERYONE has "good" gear so there is no need to size up opponents based on appearance.

Another thing about stepping on the epicness, I think you should only dawn the gear while it's relevant or RP and then retire those jerseys because the stats are lower than new tier. I'm just saying, I know it may not be the popular opinion but it really does add value to items in the game.

As for the girls and the skimpy outfits or berkas, I don't really care. I think the art-style is goofy enough for anything, I wouldn't be worried about it!
    Glacius, Sarah Orlando and MeakGG like this.
  3. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

HAHA, I mean like or anything in between and not that I'm some sexist pig who suggests women should only wear bikinis or berkas. LOL
  4. rivalcycle971

rivalcycle971 Cupcake

Also the more I think about this the more I think this hasn't been a problem with western MMOs. Think it's an Eastern thing, right?
  5. shadowclasper

uuuuh...

what'chu talking about? Sure, in eastern mmo's it's a LITTLE More prevalent, but it's not eastern MMOs that did things like Firefall, where the "heavy" female character is in a bikini with power fists and a rocket pack, or the engineer is in half pants so half she has to shave.
  6. Syberchip

Syberchip Cupcake

Generally yup. I'm not too worried about this in WildStar...they seem to be doing just fine with it from all the videos out there.
  7. Syberchip

Syberchip Cupcake

Heh, ok I forgot about that one lol.
  8. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

Guild Wars 2, also a Western MMO, does some things like this. I have no problem with it seeing I am a strong, independent, straight male who don't need nobody. Something along those lines. Yeah.
    [​IMG]
  9. shadowclasper

Guildwars wasn't as bad as SOME games, but yeah, they had stuff like that :S

To be fair, they ALSO had the bondage armor that was only for males I think, complete with blindfold and ballgag.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  10. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

And thus S&M fans rejoiced. Not my type of thing.
  11. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

I tend to just look at their health. Much faster/better indication.
    Khrusky likes this.
  12. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

It seems like Wildstar's art direction and the armor choices that I've seen have been reasonable for the most part. What's really nice is that they'll have cosmetic options for how you want your avatar to appear. I think that should solve just about any problem that folks would come across with regards to their clothing options.

I think back to my days playing Lord of the Rings Online, and fondly remembered not only their cosmetic system for choosing cool looking armors and casual gear, but also as one of the few games that actually seemed to dress women in utilitarian armor sets that didn't play up the sexy as a general rule. I think it was far easier to take that type of system seriously than something like Tera, where try as I might, it was just impossible to take that game seriously based on how the characters were armored. One can only suspend disbelief so much before things just look ridiculous.

Thankfully, I think that Carbine's designers understand this from what I've seen so far.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  13. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Yes. I need another game to cater to the part of me that drools over TERA's male castanics and cloth-wearing male high elves. :<
  14. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I don't mind the skimpier look, but really I acknowledge that it is very impractical. TERA was quite bad with those designs, but at least some of the male designs were equally sexy (like those humanoid/elf like robes etc), which I found interesting.

I think having both kinds of designs available would be a good idea, and just offering appearance armor options, so you can wear the gear you need, whilst you can look the way you want. Besides, even covering armor doesn't necessarily have to look "unsexy", if it is figure-hugging and emphasizes the female form in well done ways. There is always the distinction between hooker and heroine, and I think coverage only is part of the equation here.

One good example for appealing female armor would be the aurin on the page background. A pretty good mix between showing a little skin and having well designed, covering gear.
  15. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

In The Secret World appearances weren't tied to combat, so you could hypothetically dress however you wanted to, but in the end female avatars had about 75% the amount of options male avatars had, and then every cash shop update ended up with stuff like

[​IMG][​IMG]

So yes, while the option to wear any piece of armor we want is nice, it means nothing if there's nothing to wear.
  16. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

I want armor that looks stylish and attractive and unfortunately nearly every game with "realistic" or fully covered female characters has hideously unattractive outfits. So I tend to gravitate towards the skimpier options because they tend to look much better. I also see a lot of TERA bashing here but I honestly like a lot of the styles in that game. I think they did armor quite well. I don't need skimpy armor but I do need my character to look stylish and pretty. I absolutely do not want to look practical or realistic because let's face it, those styles are ugly. I'm playing a game so immediately we've thrown realism out the window right there.

The only thing that drives me as nuts as that is when Dev's fail at making an alternative. They try to appease the other types of players and give us plate mail bikinis and things. First of all, that is not very creative at all, nor is it attractive. Making fashionable, attractive armor does not mean you have to show a lot of pointless skin. Skin can look good, but it's got to be done right. Skin or not though, I just hope we can see fashionable, feminine styles for the rest of us that actually show a Dev put some creativity and thought into it. GW2 notoriously failed with that.
  17. CRB_Gortok

CRB_Gortok Carbine Econ Designer

As far as I understand it, every visual display for armor we have is hand edited to each race/gender combination. There are silly looking things and there are rad looking things. There is a wide spectrum of choices, as many for male as female. I do not know what the art plans for costumes are.
    Sonntam, Decatus, Vuxxy and 2 others like this.
  18. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

As long as heavy plate on males doesn't magically turn into a plate bikini on females I think you'll be fine.
  19. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

That outfit.. It scares me.
    shadowclasper and Khrusky like this.
  20. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Exactly! And what do you do when she's says "My eyes are up here". No their not!
    Cedworth and Joukehainen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.