1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Final Race/Class Combinations

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Xlugon Pyro, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

It was in a chat, during one of the podcasts, just wait three weeks we will find out. The podcast stream of debuffed. If i remember it was with one of the lead developers or something.
  2. SnoopDaddy

SnoopDaddy Cupcake

Also, notice how the races are grouped on the WildStar website:
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/races/

Human / Cassian: 3 Tanks, 3 Healers
    Granok / Draken: 2 Tanks, 1 Healer
    Aurin / Chua: 1 Tanks, 3 Healers
    Mordesh / Mechari: 3 Tanks, 1 Healer

Even more evidence pointing towards your guess on the final Race/Class combination.
    Tribe likes this.
  3. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

:laugh:

What if alchemy is a crafting profession? Credit to Karl Pedder for first posting this idea in this thread.

I understand that the classes will not be mirrored across the factions race wise. But do you believe that both factions will have the same number of races that have the same number of classes each?
  4. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

It is very well possible, this would also extinguish the ''need'' people seem to have for Mordesh to be Medic's simply because they are alchemists, leaving it at another point where engineer would fit Mordesh quite well.
  5. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

I believe so, just to keep the playerbase from complaining that the Dominion has more Engineers than the Exiles, for example. We already know what races have access to all classes except the Medic and Engineer, and the known classes have been in balance across the factions. With my speculation I am trying to keep the theme consistent.

Of course it is possible that the Engineer (or Medic) could throw his wrench in there and disrupt the balance. So to speak.

What I am unsure of is whether the Engineer will have 2 or 3 races available, to keep it in balance with the Esper. It seems odd to have the Esper as the only 2-race class. To preserve the balance, the Engineer would need to be the 2-race tank. I have been reminded in this thread that the Mordesh would only receive one new class, which would then be the Medic (since Granok is getting both classes). Chua is getting both classes, so to keep the 2-race theme then the Mechari could not be Engineers. It could happen, but Engineer would seem to fit Mechari.

So the Engineer class is a confusing one for me to speculate, both in total number (2 or 3 for each faction) and for which races will receive it. It could possibly be a class that has 2 Exile and 3 Dominion races.
  6. Mathmatix

Mathmatix New Cupcake

Where is there any indication that the non-human races will have more than 3 classes each?
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Screenshots and official WildStar art. Lots of it. Mechari with both rifles and paddles.

Devs also stated chua will have both unrevealed classes, meaning they'll have 4 total and that mordesh will have one of the two and they already have 3, making it 4 total. The dev comments alone should be more than enough evidence that we'll see races with 4 classes.
  8. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

I think there is fairly strong thematic justifications for why certain races can't be Espers. Mechari being artificial constructs being unable to tap into "Magic". The Granok that are part of the Exiles being more of a "practical" bent. The Draken's feral and aggresive nature not meshing well with the more cerebral expression of magic represented by the Esper. The Mordesh are perhaps the hardest to thematically justify, perhaps a side effect of their zombie like state makes accessing a more "pure" form of mysticism more difficult.

Like you note above there is far less justification for the Engineer to be unavailable to races such as the Mechari and Mordesh. Indeed from this perspective the Mechari would probably have a stronger "claim" to the class than the Granok.

What'a more if you go with the premise that both the Engineer and Medic will be available to 3 races per faction and that the number of race/class comboes will be balanced amongst the two factions. Giving the Medic to the Aurin and Engineer to the Mordesh is more thematically appropriate than the other way around.
    teh_ninjaneer and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  9. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

I can say I'm not all too happy that Espers (the class I'm looking to play atm) can only be the midget races or the default humans, neither of which I am all too excited by. That also makes them potentially the only ones that can be played by only 4 races instead of 6 which doesn't seem all to fair. I do get this decision lore wise(if it turns out like this), the other races don't seem to poses *magic* which the Espers powers seem to be based on.

Anyway I don't think it's too far fetched to have Draken and Mordesh be Espers, so until the site goes up on Wednesday I'm going to keep hoping. :)
  10. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

I had never considered this until now, but what if, to balance the Esper only having 2 races per faction, the Medic can be all 4 races? That would be nifty.

That would still give a total of 9 tanks (3 races each) and 9 healers (3 slingers, 2 espers, 4 medics) on both factions. I know I seem stuck on this balance thing but I am an engineer and a numbers guy; I like seeing patterns and such.

Xlugon Pyro is already speculating that the Aurin will be a Medic. Would it be too far-fetched that a Draken could strap on those fist-dispenser thingies and do some Medic work? How hard can that really be?

Still throwing ideas around. Got a few weeks until we know for sure.
  11. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

No look I can empathize it's the same reason why I liked the setup in Xlugons OP when I first realized that it not only gave each faction the same number of race/class comboes, but also a 6 class race, two 4 class races, and one 3 class race, but even more so when I realized it resulted in a race/role balance 3tank/3healer, 1tank/3 healer, 3tank/1 healer and 2tank/1healer race for each faction.

While either giving the Engineer to only two races per faction balances it with the Esper being only two races per faction. Based on the Granok and Chua getting both, the Mordesh getting one of the two and the Mechari getting the Medic becuase of that card cutout. It throws out several of the above patterns. No longer do you have the race/role balance but it would result in the Dominion rather having 1 less class/race combo in total than Exiles as both Draken and Mechari would only have 3 classes. You could give Draken Medic too but then Dominion has 4 Medic races which kind of undermines the whole point doesn't it? You could maintain the race/role balance if you only gave the Engineer to two races per faction and gave all races access to Medic as well but it is no more of a balanced pattern thanEsper being the only class with 2 races per faction as you would have a 2 race tank, a 2 race healer, a 4 race healer, two 3 race tanks and 1 3 race healer.....
  12. Xlugon Pyro

Problem is that Exiles have a race with only 3 classes, so it's likely that Dominion will need one too. The medic would push the draken to 4 classes when we already know that the other Dominion races already will have 4 classes.
  13. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

So Granok would need a fourth Class for 'ninjaneer's idea to work, which would then put his equation again out of balance. Solution, have all races be able to play as all classes? Hey look, is that a shiny Draken Engineer in the distance?
  14. Xlugon Pyro

I don't think it'll happen.

That's why I came up with the setup that I did because it's the only way everything can remain balanced in all ways while also being feasible lorewise.
  15. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

I agree it is incredibly unlikely to happen at launch. But you do not think that Carbine will move toward universal race and class combinations in the long run?
  16. Xlugon Pyro

It's hard to say because to some extent they seem to be very supportive of exclusivity to an extent and want to preserve certain vibes in their game. These things can change though, but right now I see no indication of it happening.
  17. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Giving humans access to all classes but not moving the other races in that direction seems odd. It would be a shame to give the least interesting race, IMO, all the options but have permanent restrictions for the rest.
  18. Xlugon Pyro

They give humans the most options because they're supposedly the most popular race choices in MMOs.
  19. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

That's disappointing on multiple levels.
  20. Xlugon Pyro

I hear ya. Neither of my top two races can be engineers sadly. D: