1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Flavour skills and spells for roleplaying and other shenanigans.

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Xaeldn, May 13, 2013.

1. Xaeldn

Xaeldn New Cupcake

So, I was having a conversation with a friend a few weeks back comparing key differences between World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2. One of the more interesting points that came up was flavour or fluff skills.

In WoW, minor or pointless (at least, in terms of competitiveness) content for flavour was plentiful. Warlocks could breathe underwater, Paladins could kneel and summon a column of light in prayer, etc. Minor glyphs were a big step forward in this regard. These skills gave no real advantage to anyone, but instead added personality, individuality, flavour and were generally just lots of fun. There's a huge amount of time spent in MMOs not doing battle, having the right abilities to use during exploration or social hangouts went a long way.
    To an extent, this also included things like class quests (Rogues would get an assassination target and Druids would travel to their private community in Moonglade) and to a small extent, skills like Devotion Aura which didn't bring a great deal of impact to combat balance, but gave classes that little bit of extra personality.

On the flip side, GW2 based its skills on weapons and utilities. Sure, stabbing and slashing is useful in combat, as well as battlecries and setting traps, but this won't help a Stalker to pickpocket their unsuspecting victims or assist an Esper in meditating, bringing mind and body together.

The point I'm getting at is that although I'm vastly excited about Wildstar, hearing that there would be a limited skill bar gave me pause. Has anyone heard much in terms of class flavour skills? I noted in the recent Devspeak on movement that classes would each have their own methods of moving about, Spellslinger teleports and Soldier leaps and such, which gave me hope. =]

Unrelated, I can't stop thinking about how cool a caster tank would be, deflecting blows with a magic shield or bursts of energy like when Gandalf fought the Balrog or something, but have no idea where to go and squee about this.
    Yinello and Twinflame like this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Go to the ''Is ranged tanking even possible'' thread, mayby you can squeel there?

As for visual effects or other ''extra'' spell animations, i'm totally in for it. Love those small things, and for RPing they are just the best! More possibilities for RP = always better.