1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Flying mounts confirmation, how do you feel about them?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kataryna, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Kurik Lein and Darkspur like this.
  2. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I don't mind them.
    Darkspur likes this.
  3. arnold

arnold Cupcake-About-Town

They're needed in this age of MMO's. Also the fact that houses FLOAT, would mean flying would be helpful.
    Jive, SDR and Darkspur like this.
  4. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

They are cool? Is there something wrong with them?
    Darkspur likes this.
  5. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Goes along with flying fortresses as well. :)
  6. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

well, the reason I'm unsure about them is how it impacted the game when WoW went with flying mounts. It was no longer about exploring everywhere, it was more about "ok, I can drop down, kill those 5 mobs for this quest, take off again, kill these 6 mobs for a different quest, etc" and you didn't have to worry about the best path to take to get from A to B. now, if they're restricted to certain zones, or once you hit cap, it may not be as bad.
    ruff_ethereal, Baeldan, Rotto and 2 others like this.
  7. Caballera

Caballera New Cupcake

I agree it was a bit of a bummer when they added flying mounts to WoW. There are many great things about having flying mounts and they are fun and convenient, but they do make things easier and can be annoying. Especially if you don't have one and higher levels swoop down to attack you, or steal your mob, or steal some recourse you're working your way to.
    Zerdav likes this.
  8. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Well, to me they belong in this environment. Being a space game, you would expect thing to fly around on. I just hope it is not overdone and settlers can add to the environment for this.
    ruff_ethereal and Darkspur like this.
  9. Rakkis

Rakkis Cupcake

hopefully there for higher levels and/or limited use.
    Sonntam likes this.
  10. Vhiral

Vhiral Cupcake-About-Town

I like flying mounts, they are fun and the also bring convenience. And if Carbine doesn't want us to fly somewhere, or make it more of a hazard to fly then use the ground. They can put dangerous air mobs in certain places, or even put cannons on the ground that shoot down people who are flying.
    Risetta, ruff_ethereal, SDR and 2 others like this.
  11. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Flying mounts are awesome. The freedom they give really adds to the believability of the world in a big way, which to me, is the most important feature of an MMO.

The huge customization options... not to mention in WildStar they may be tied into other systems... guild fortress combat, hello?!? :)
  12. arnold

Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms were designed for walking and ground mounts. Then they decided to slap mounts into the game. Carbine is designing their game with a plan for flying, so it's not even close to being the same. Like I said earlier, flying houses, flying guild fortresses. Not to mention, they came to the planet by flying! My .02
  13. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

There may have been a few negatives, but by and large the positives that came out of flying mounts in WoW far outweighed them. And with the content design in WildStar, like paths, you will be spending more time on the ground for that stuff. Not to mention more specific air stuff :)

While we're at it, I'd like to see water (under and surface) mounts as well!
    Darkspur likes this.
  14. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Flying mounts were actually confirmed about eight months ago, in Gaffney's Reddit AMA.

I'm not bothered at all. I don't doubt at all that Carbine has thought about how it might conflict with and trivialize Explorer content (and other path content that might be provided past an Explorer's point). I don't think there's anything to worry about until we know more about how they're implemented.
    ruff_ethereal, Zerdav and Kurik like this.
  15. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Mounts and me, its a love hate relationship.

I love them because I can go places without having all kinds of mobs in my way. I hate them because you bypass content and the community down below on the ground. I love then because you can fly from node to node gathering. I hate them because when you need a heal fighting mobs solo on the ground, that healer just flew by way above you without notice. It is what it is, its here to stay :alien:
    ruff_ethereal, HoneyBadger and Zerdav like this.
  16. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Im actually happy that they were announced off the bat,, which means everything is designed around their availability.

Ive always enjoyed flying mounts although I realize they stopped random interactions from happening as much as they did in the random world. But since I left wow and have played mmos without flying, it dawned on me that the folks who want to interact will, otherwise they just ride past or run past you anyway.

Besides my fondest memories have always been of flying in city of heroes or just around the continents in wow so I'll happily enjoy them again.
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  17. Brightag

Brightag Cupcake

As some have already said, the game is built with flying in mind. I can understand the concern that people could bypass content on the ground, but I never viewed this as a problem with the mounts. For me, how much I fly depends on what I have to do on the ground.

Assign a quest that asks me to travel 500 yards away and you just convinced me to fly. Assign the same quest, but with multiple tasks in-between, all 100 yards apart, leading me towards the same spot 500 yards away, and you just convinced me to run.
  18. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

I would love to see us have like 3 or 4 pvp attack abilities while we're on our flying mounts. They've been talking about house pvp (maybe???yes???) It would be great to have the airforce(mounted players) providing your support for the battleships (houses).

On a side note: I've had way to much sugar tonight.
    Jive, Michael Thysson and moneda like this.
  19. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Explorer content: hidden tunnels under the entire zone. Don't think we will see flying content/mounts there! :p Pretty sure Carbine has thought about how to implement them in their content. I'm just repeating almost everybody else. I hope my growls will keep everyone calm.
  20. arnold

"Sugar," we really know what's up.

But, your idea is <REDACTED>ing awesome! :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.