1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Flying mounts confirmation, how do you feel about them?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kataryna, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qimx

Qimx Cupcake-About-Town

If the game IS DESIGN in purpose to have flying mounts we dont have much to worry about.
    WoW kinda failed just because wasnt designed for that and some issues came out.
    Wreck likes this.
  2. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

While I agree with your idea that if you use a flying mount excessively, you should be struggling, I don't agree with the argument that "You're not forced to fly from point A to point B". It's the same argument I see used by the LFG arguers (though I don't want to get into it).

When a new ability is added for convenience sake (and because it's cool), in order to stay up to par with everyone else, you have to use it. Flying mounts became a necessity in WoW because everyone had one. It was no longer possible to just be on a ground mount because you would be wasting the most precious resource in an MMO, time. The ability to skip the mobs in between you and the quest mob meant you had to skip out on that XP but you got back to the quest giver much quicker, allowing you to level up much faster.

This isn't a perfect analogy, but consider this. A new dungeon comes out and the devs decide that it is too hard for the playerbase. They give every group the option to let the game play the dungeon, i.e. press a button and the boss dies. It's only an option to do it, and you'll miss out on an epic boss fight, but you can do it much quicker. 99% of the players are going to press that button, just for convenience's sake.

Now, I dislike flying mounts in general cause I think it makes the world feel less epic and more safe. But in WildStar I can see it working mostly because it doesn't seem like you'll run out of things to do on the ground.

Lastly, I don't think that Flying Mounts were the cause of WoW becoming more popular and bigger. I think it was a combination of many things, and perhaps a small part of it was flying mounts. But it was more of a garnish.
    Zilvoran and Yakzan like this.
  3. emikochan

emikochan New Cupcake

Hate flying mounts :/ but then I dislike mounts in general.
  4. Mouseknuckle

Mouseknuckle Cupcake

Its funny cause I hate walking everywhere, makes me feel like I'm playing at a slow pace.
  5. haggeragge90

haggeragge90 New Cupcake

I believe flying mounts will be awesome especially in this game. I believe wow failed because they had a game that wasn't designed for flying mounts but they just implented it on the run. Though for Wildstar which is designed from scratch to have flying mounts, it also puts a bigger pressure on them to make absolutely the entire world beautiful and non buggy. And pherhaps well be able to find quests on weird places later on and maybe whole hubs and cities on top of snowy/tundra mountain tops in places uve been before but never knew even existed in that area until you actually went up there with ur flying mount. I mean there is endless possibilities for flying mounts, especially when you design for it from scratch. In wow it was designed to just be a faster way to travel and something new for the genre, people was tired of the old regular ground mounts. Here it could be so much more, and like someone said earlier in the thread. It would work really well with the whole warplots, maybe fly over to the other plot or maybe even more complex things to do with flying mounts. I mean pherhaps you can even do certain attacks from flying mounts in certain events like warplots. We have no idea yet, this is just speculation.
  6. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

I don't think this is restricted by the NDA as it has been seen in videos (please delete if it is), but when I was playing at Arkship, the sprinting and the dodge mechanic made foot travel a kiss speedier. I was able to catch up with others without them having to stop for me.
  7. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

naw man best way to travel was to be a pb/ws, pop dwarf then have someone zing ya w/<REDACTED>.. what was that ! the ss/sj buff ....fulcrum shift ? :X
  8. Rex Smashington

Rex Smashington Cupcake

I think the main problem with WoW's flying mounts from a PvP perspective is the casting time. It is way too short so if I attack someone in world PvP the victim can just break line of sight for 1-3 seconds (can't remember the casting time) and be flying away.

If they are going to have flying mounts hopefully the casting time will be a little longer. Maybe throw in a cranking up the engine animation so it all makes sense. =P
  9. Laughingsalad

Laughingsalad New Cupcake

I'd like to see the flying mounts do something other than just fly. Maybe incorporate some PvP elements where players can have a dog-fight using their mounts. It would be a lot more work for the developers to add a flight combat mechanic into the game, but if done correctly it would be a lot of fun.
  10. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

yea flying mounts .. idk what to think about them. its pretty awesome most of the time, flying is just fun, and flying over zones you are passing through is handy .. but in an ideal world my MMO would be riding everywhere. I hate that we all just skim around skipping past content .. but I love it too .. sometimes.

I think there should be more danger to flying or something ... big flying mobs, cannons .. something ..
  11. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Who says there isn't any? We do not know anything besides that we will get access to flying mounts at Elder game.
  12. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Unlocking flying mounts at cap is such an awesome thing, and it apparently will be a big deal if we can only get them at Elder Game.
    Zilvoran and Kataryna like this.
  13. Brenner

Brenner Cupcake-About-Town

I am really curious to see how they implement them into the game. Perhaps unlocked at cap? Perhaps through a late-game quest? I wonder how they will keep them from hindering with explorer puzzles, or if they will manage to integrate them within the puzzles instead...
  14. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

It's been confirmed that flying mounts are unlocked at cap, if you were asking. :roflamo:
  15. Brenner

Brenner Cupcake-About-Town

Ahh thanks, missed that!
  16. Lgr

Lgr Cupcake

I've not been much into this kind of MMO's (high tech sci fi), so im curious about what they can pull off
  17. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

The only reason most hate flying mounts, is because it takes away from world pvp. Since Carbine has mentioned that world pvp will not be in at launch - then I see no issue with it.
  18. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

it's not that world pvp will not be in at launch, it's that there is no real support for world pvp, no zone objective, no system, etc. If you're on a PvP server, you will have open world pvp! It's what they're doing actually-- they're going to be watching and finding out what types of open world pvp pop up and where.
  19. Rex Smashington

Rex Smashington Cupcake

World PvP will be there. Just no objectives. But for anyone who likes world PvP we don't even need objectives... Just fighting other players with no objective is kinda the purpose of world PvP.
  20. Lidniled

Lidniled New Cupcake

I thought the flying mounts in WoW were a mixed blessing. They helped with just getting around when you wanted to party up with a friend that was questing half-way across the world. Also made gathering a bit easier since you were able to cover ground to get to collection nodes, although it also made the more valuable nodes more infrequent since there are more people farming them.
    Also took away some of the fun of just trying to explore areas that you might not have meant to be able to see while out and about in the world. Although I guess that if you're not able to fly until level cap then there will be plenty of time for exploring while leveling up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.