1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Flying mounts confirmation, how do you feel about them?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kataryna, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

I think back to original flying mounts in WoW; the normal mount was actually slower than an epic ground mount. The only advantage was being able to avoid enemies and terrain, but it wasn't actually faster than hopping a horse. The mistake lay in the epic fliers, who were ALWAYS the best choice.

If they made it so ground mounts were always faster than winging it, you'd actually have a choice to make. Blade's Edge? Fly. Nagrand? Groundmount. Add in some AA batteries with faulty IFF transponders to make hazardous or outright mo-fly zones and you've got some interesting ideas. Add a couple Sidewinder A2A missile racks to mounts and we're getting into fun times.
    Sonntam, Dasphunk and Yakzan like this.
  2. Painguin

Painguin Cupcake

I have always been a fan of flying mounts, it's fun to sit in the city and show off your rare epic mount to everyone, and get whispers like "Cool Mount!" or "How did you get the dragon?". But I do agree that some times they can be annoying, like when a player from the other faction flies into the city and just flies away when you try to attack them. And I agree that they do make the game feel smaller than it really is, but they will be nice to fly to a friends house instead of taking a portal. So on a scale of 1-10 I think in Wildstar they will be a 7 for me.
  3. Krakitoa

Krakitoa New Cupcake

I can live without them but I do like having them in MMOs. My reasoning being in MMOs I tend to spend so much time playing them I've already seen the entirety of this zone already if not several times over. I like running around on the ground while leveling and exploring the first time through a lot. But, I find after I've leveled up several times on different toons and spent so much time running around the same zones over and over I really prefer the convenience of a flying mount.
  4. Sanja Melody

Sanja Melody Cupcake

I don't like them. And i'm having a hard time finding anything positive about them that couldn't be fixd with taxi system like WoW had.

The only positive thing i can see is: "I can get to point B faster." Where in the negative i can see so many things. They said it themselves. Explorers likes to find ways to get on top of that mountain. But what's the deal with taking that difficult path up the mountain with jumping if i could have just mounted up and flying up there. I'm almost considering going Scientist instead because of the flying mount announcement.
    Milamilou likes this.
  5. BigHawngry

BigHawngry New Cupcake

I think they should use INSTANT fast travel for the basic mode of transportation over large areas.
    None of that sitting on a flying machine or w/e for 17min garbage.

I also believe flying mounts are OK... but only in particular areas.
    Flying mounts available everywhere would destroy the adventurer path in a heart beat.

I know I would almost certainly pick a PvE server if flying mounts were all over the place lol.
    Death staring matches > random moron attacking you while your trying to do something, any day of the week. Played 7 years of constant flagged over several titles and it's old to me now.
  6. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
  7. Finnwe

Finnwe New Cupcake

Flying mounts are awesome I spent hours and hours just flying around in wow. theres nothing like death from above when u gank and get ganked. i LoLed and was LoLed.
  8. Genoshock

Genoshock Cupcake-About-Town

the only way they could improve that is "the burning crusade" flying mount daily where u had to avoid the attacks ... as long as they can make them avoidable ... with fancy loop the loops and crazy acrobatics then i am all for it ... dodging on flighing mounts .... "DO THE BARREL ROLL!!!"
    Myrrdhinn likes this.
  9. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Indeed! If we can't do a barrel roll with our flying mounts, than don't even bother putting them in to the game! :p
    Genoshock likes this.
  10. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

Agree 100%
  11. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I haven't been quite able to track this, are the flying mounts confirmed or are they still considering dropping the idea cause of the amount of people who oppose it?
  12. kuunkulta

kuunkulta Cupcake-About-Town

Hate em, hope I'm not forced to use them
  13. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

i welcome them, it is not the concept of flying mounts that is broken but it's implementation, most people had their only experiences with flight in MMO's in WoW and games that implemented flight exactly as WoW did, late and in a world that was not designed for it.

Also Flight on WoW was designed to allow players to skip content and rush to their instanced desitination, because those players no longer had a place for them in the open world.

on a late note one day MMO's will get to a place where flight/driving/etc will be a entreily diferent experience than what it was on WoW.

Driving a car will feel like a driving game, same for flight and many other things.
    it will take a long time for that to happen, but still i cannot wait.
  14. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

you are right in saying implementation has been bad, and also in the fact a game like WoW was not designed for it. But in ways neither is Wildstar, the world itself may look great from above, it may be capable of being a flying environment. But the biggest problem with it is the fact that has been beaten repeatedly until it died, then it was beaten at its funeral, dug up and beaten again then re-burried and beaten in the afterlife. but it is an extremely valid point.

Flying mounts would destroy half of one of the paths, explorers won't be exploring to get to the top of a jump puzzle or mountain or anything of the sort, they will mount and fly up on to it and get completion for not doing what the path is about. Unless there is some fancy way to stop people from using mounts to achieve this i am heavily against flying mounts, Especially considering explorer is the path i am most interested in.

Granted i could make the challenge for myself and do everything the proper way, but it would feel completely wrong to jump my way to the top of a puzzle, achieve the feat of mastering it, then having some dude land beside me on his flyer to complete it, would absolutely destroy immersion in this sense.
  15. Talberry

Talberry Cupcake

Flying mounts may be worthwhile in my mind if they add a restriction on where you can take-off/land. A lot of people complained in WoW that it made the questing too trivial as you could skip a lot of mobs and just land next to your objective, by restricting landing points you can sort of bypass this while still making the flying mounts a convenient and fun method of travel.

So for example not being able to mount up inside a town/village and only in larger open spaces. This makes the flying mount useful for above-ground exploration and travel between zones rather than the way it's used in WoW, as your primary method of travel and a tool for skipping content.

EDIT: This also kind of fixes the above problem as explorers not really needing to explore, you won't be able to use it to bypass jumping puzzles. Spotting exploration points from the sky is still in my opinion a valid method of exploration, but then the challenge is more about finding a good spot to land and navigating back there on foot.

This is mainly working on the assumption that a flying mount is a max-level feature.

EDIT #2: Someone mentioned AA canons. Put them over enemy faction towns and some questing areas (namely large encampments).
    Skippy likes this.
  16. Skippy

SO MUCH THIS OMG!

Imagine flight masters (points where you were allowed to mount up) and you can only set down at another flight master (probably name them differently but for ideas sake this will do). so essentially it is like the taxi points in WoW, except you can only mount / dismount at these terminals, you have full flight control while you are on the mount, can fly wherever you like but the ONLY place you can dismount, is at one of these terminals.

It would completely remove using flying mounts to skip content / parts of quests, but it would keep them there as fast travel between places or to derp around on cos you feel like it. then theres no annoying detours like WoW's taxi service, basically making you zig zag around to get to your destination, you can fly direct to if you like then.
  17. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

You are assuming you can use flight from lv 1 and that flight can work around puzzles.

Carbine can design flight around this issues so it wont happen, that's what i meant by the game being designed around flight, instead of having flight forced into it.

there are several ways to prevent people from doing what you are worried about, and iam pretty sure Carbine is more aware of the issues than we are.
  18. Skippy

I am not assuming this from level one, the exploration path will be valid even after max level. And going by the number of jump puzzles around? like a tree out in the open which you can climb and such? would be incredibly hard to limit unless they had random pockets all over the place where you couldn't fly.
  19. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

I guess I don't understand how you can implement flying mounts without allowing players to skip content. Can you explain?
  20. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

Flying mounts will kill world PvP. And that really sucks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.