1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Flying mounts confirmation, how do you feel about them?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kataryna, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Go two of my posts up, this could stop people from skipping content as you couldn't just fly over mobs grab a quest item and fly out, you can fly around yeah, but it isn't going to help you level at all...
  2. Exquise

Exquise New Cupcake

Gonna break the game... Why put this in? :'( Normal mounts are fine..
  3. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

go read the oficial closed flying mounts thread, this has all been discussed to death, iam not looking to go over the same points again sorry.
  4. Maff

Maff New Cupcake

uuh i love the idea, and ye even if you could skip content, youre gonna miss quite a few XP i suppose.
    i'd rather kill the mobs and get the XP tbh
  5. Cages01

Cages01 New Cupcake

I didnt know for this till now and all what i can say is:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!
    "bigsadface"
  6. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

I'll say what I said before. Overall I'm against the idea of flying mounts for lack of immersion and world PVP. If they must be in the game, I want some form of combat on them OR some other system that actively promotes world PVP. As a personal thing, I would also like flying to not simply be only a convenience, perhaps there could be a skill in flying. This could be as easy as sticking in actual physics for flying. Similar to the helicopter physics we've seen in many clips, including the most recent Rezzed video

Go to - www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvqTyIeFXI8&t=12m52s
  7. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

I am not sure I agree on this. Flying mounts only limit world PvP a little, if any. In Vanilla WoW there were no flying mounts, but it was nearly impossible to catch someone once they got on their mount (Assuming you had mounts of the same speed).

Furthermore, this is a space age sci fi game. How can there not be airships?
  8. Malachi

Malachi Cupcake-About-Town

Your idea, although interesting, would be extremely cumbersome and difficult to implement, and since it offers so little more over a simple taxi service, it just wouldn't happen.

One of the advantages you mention is that you can fly directly to where you want to go without having to zig-zag. But if there are specific zones that you can't mount up, then you would need to fly around them. Thus, you're still zig-zagging.

Why would towns be the restricted flight zones? It seems silly that your primary mass transit option requires you to leave a city and run out into the jungle before you can use it.

I would think that a large portion of every zone would have applicable content with which you complete quests, do exploration stuff, etc. And if we're keeping to the "don't let flying mounts be a way for you to skip content", then you shouldn't be allowing flying in a large portion of every zone, right? If you could fly through most of the zone, it would mean that very little of the zone had fun stuff in it, and if that was true, this game would be extremely boring. Now you'll have to zig-zag like crazy!

The only other benefit I can think of with using flying mounts is that it would be cool to pick out your mount, like if you want to fly from zone to zone in a dragon or a helicopter, you can do that. But an aesthetic option in the face of all of the problems I just listed is just not worth it.

A taxi service from town to town effectively accomplishes fast travel to wherever you want to go, and it doesn't need to be designed to zig-zag...it could be designed to just take you directly to whatever point you want. Plus, this also eliminates content-skipping and the death of world PvP!
  9. DMC9920

DMC9920 New Cupcake

It would seem like a waste if they didn't end up putting them in since the world was obviously built to support them. I understand some of the reasons people don't like them but yea they really could do some cool stuff since this is a futuristic MMO. Wouldn't make much sense logically for them to not exist either. If you can land them on the planet which is how we all got there, why wouldn't they be flying around the planet itself?
  10. Malachi

We currently live in a world where we could each own our own airplane. So why don't we? ;)
  11. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

It's not an opinion. It's an indisputable fact. When you add MORE speed and an extra dimension (up and down) that includes immunity from all CC's with huge ease in escaping potential gankers, then you detract COMPLETELY from world PVP. There is no chance at all in killing a flying mounted player if they have the smallest amount of wit about them. You're right that catching a mounted player in Vanilla was tough. But it's a great deal harder on flying mounts.

Maybe you disagree, and you think flying mounts should be implemented - which is certainly what's up for debate. But there is no question about the effect of flying mounts on world PVP
    Milamilou likes this.
  12. Malachi

There's a difference between taking a spaceship to the planet and owning a spaceship of your own, though.
  13. Cages01

Cages01 New Cupcake

This have sense but still i hate idea bout them...
  14. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

Because we don't have to traverse continents on a daily basis.

An airplane is the technological equivalent of a paper bag compared to an intergalactic space ship.
  15. Xemma

Xemma New Cupcake

I'm fine with flying mounts as long as it doesn't interfere with my PvP (as in, players can't escape by going 'lolflyingaway') and the flight-height isn't too high. Flying over the mobs heads to skip is okay, you gotta admit aggroing everything when you just want to get from one place to another is very annoying.
  16. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Be honest, mounts are used to ganking much more than they are used to getting away from it
  17. Vanor

Vanor Cupcake

Because currently airplanes are rather expensive. So only those who can afford them have them. That said, there's still a lot of privately owned airplanes out there.

Fast forward who knows how many thousands of years, and it is likely that the cost of flying vehicles has been reduced due to improvements in tech, to the point that they're fairly common.

Even then in WS, according to what I've read flying mounts will only be an option at max level and will cost a ton.
  18. Sayantan

Sayantan Cupcake

Everyone gets a jet pack. yay. Wish I lived in 3013 instead of 2013. :(
  19. Ayora

Ayora Cupcake-About-Town

<Mod Fab> Stop necroing threads.

Closing this thread due to the flying mounts NOT officially on the table and are still being discussed by Carbine.

Again. STOP NECROING.

Please and thank you. </Mod Fab>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.