1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Flying Mounts VS Super Fast Hovering Vehicles

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Gronky, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Why do we need flying mounts. Can't we just increase the speed of some vehicles to the level that no mob can catch them or stop them (only special mobs in specific areas maybe and other players should be able to stop them). This would make players to interact witch each other some more and would not bother those who do not want to deal with mobs attacking them all the time and allow them to move as fast as flying mounts. On top of it driving them would require some skill and it would be extremely fun. We could also add some back burners to them and limited super jump capability so we can jump through some fences without having to go around them. What I mean here is that I'd rather drive "very fast" racing vehicle like in star wars than fly with mediocre speed. And to be honest they can't make flying as fast as it should feel or they world would really feel tiny. So Carbine, just give us speed below vehicles have in the movies (especially the racing one):
    Edit: They would make slow flying almost uncool :D
    super fast ground vehicles.jpg
  2. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Cause flying is not about the speed, people would still fly even if it's slower.

you dont need to have epic 350% flight speed like on WoW, also people seem to forget that 350% flight speed is not affordble by anyone who does not have a decked out Main on WoW, and it used to be even more Expensive.

Basic flight speed even on WoW was 60% same as ground, mounting up at that speed in some cases would be a waste of time.

if a ground mount is as fast as Epic flight on Wow it is going to cause the same problems that people want to avoid by not having them.
  3. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

4. LJJ1991

LJJ1991 New Cupcake

I'd rather have no flying mounts, but a mount with very high speed sounds fun. I think it'd be fun if those "speeders" sped up over time and control of them became harder and harder. The super jump idea would fit well into that. Also, they design the mounts to "crash" if they collide with something, dismounting the player and forcing them to repair the mount. It could be yet another money sink (like those outlined in the recent economy post) and it could be a fun little feature. The repairs wouldn't even have to be expensive.
  5. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

Top flying speed is pretty cheep compared to most of the stuff out there to get...heck I buy it on all my toons it's so cheep.

But at any ways, mounts is a general term. In SWTOR they have vehicles but the players still say mounts. Just because mounts were said don't assume they'll all be animals.
  6. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

Exactly. If fun is kind let's make it fun. Flying is cool if done sparingly. Super jump would be a one way to fly for very short time and jumping off the cliff could let us enjoy the fly for a little longer (vehicles could have some sort of anti gravity booster which could be activated before we hit the ground hard ;)

I don't but I think it is a bad idea to create flying mounts which would feel as fast as these ground "speeders". And if you make flying mounts twice or three times as fast so we can actually feel the speed in the air then running around the globe would be too fast and make the world small. So I think we can have almost all benefits of flying with some cool vehicles with some additional fun features and keep the social pros of ground units as well as ground world pvp a little more viable.
  7. JoeDragon

JoeDragon Cupcake-About-Town

I for one would like a Podracer.
  8. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I expect to see both.
    BonusStage likes this.
  9. Impaler

Impaler Cupcake

I would like to have flying mounts that cant fly over terrain, but instead scale up and over them. This way your still flying, but you cant completely fly over something, you can climb over it while hovering just above it. Then lets say you scale a mountain, when you reach the top you can jump off and glide a certain distance as an option
  10. TarkeCat

TarkeCat Cupcake-About-Town

Myself i would like the "flying mounts" to be fuel starved eg 30-60 second flight on a 5-10min cooldown so content doesn't become super faceroll as you don't want to throw away your flight cooldown just for traveling if you can do it easily on foot as you may need it for a more clutch scenario. Also it stops world PvP being killed, if you do end up with some jackass max level farming you all day you could always use your cooldown to escape and if not i can see the cat and mouse chasing of two people with short term jetpacks of some sort being quite fun.
  11. Alex Moore

Alex Moore New Cupcake

I was thinking that flying mounts have require fuel or something, so you have limited use of it before refueling or whatever.

So if you're chasing someone in world PvP they can't just sit in the sky and afk.