1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"For CASUAL play the medic could heal in any one of those roles..."

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Laura, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Your Build is only part of the formula for competent W* gameplay.
    The ability to move, to target, to use breakout are going to be of major importance as well. I think we saw this with the Stalkers gameplay in the Medic livestream (and other vids).

W* is not WoW; if you can’t hit the target, or move out of the red, or use breakout then an optimized build is going to do absolutely nothing for you.
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Now, I haven't kept up with a lot of specific class or roles conversations but, are you saying that, as an example, Medics might match up better with a Stalker Tank as opposed to a Warrior? Or do you mean something else entirely?

I haven't been able to watch any of the live streams.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

That is what Carbine has said repeatedly. They have not named the "pairings" but they have confirmed that they are supposed to matched up in that fashion.
    Witless likes this.
  4. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I believe they gave the example in this livestream of Medic ---> Warrior.

Edit to add - I think it matters if people are talking raids or just normal dungeon content, I think people should clarify that in their reply.
    I very much doubt that in 20mans or especially 40mans, you will have 1 healer solo healing the MT no matter what class is used to do it. I wouldn't expect to have a medic assigned to MT duty, but if they were, it wouldn't be alone.
  5. Kidney

Kidney Cupcake

I wonder where the line will be drawn on the tank-healer pairings. You can't really say that a single healer in a 5 man group could be described as being "a healing class that can fill every role", which implies more than 1 healer. Unless you stretch the IRC comment about needing offheals for 5-mans.

So, that only leaves...
    20-mans : healer-tank pair doesn't matter, and,
    40-mans : does?
  6. Hob

Hob Cupcake

I think too much is being read into this, and they probably should have avoided the guessing game as to which healer might match up better with which tank.

There's too many variables and they're simply basing it on the range of heals .vs. the movement of the tank.
  7. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

What? You can already allude to the pairing just through how they have described the classes. Ie mitigation tank will work best with constant small heals, while the evasion tank will need bursty heals.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  8. Wendo

Wendo Cupcake

Actually every comment in the lines of "I like that too, the idea of "support heals" being a necessity in certain 5-man encounters. That's one of the things Rift tried to do by incorporating a "support" role, although frankly it's hard to get players to accept it" or "It came off to me that each healer is going to be able to specialize in a way of play. Ie Medics can main tank heal, but really only when paired with their tank, otherwise they will lack the tools for anything other than their planned role" Makes me want to play this game so bad. I miss games actually forcing you to have a good guild management where getting good raid setup and so on was part of what it meant to be a successful guild. I believe clearing an instance is something you are supposed to feel proud of managing to do. The new age thinking that everyone needs to clear every instance with any setup and in very little time kinda takes away the achievement IMHO.
    Laura likes this.
  9. Katherine

Katherine Cupcake-About-Town

Was always going to happen. Without class homogenisation some classes will be better at certain roles than others. I just hope we get a good heads up early on so I don't waste time lvling the wrong thing.
    Bnol and Laura like this.
  10. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

With all the heals and mobile abilities shown in the stream, Medics should be able to (with skill) raid heal...

Also it mentions that each healer may have an Easier time healing sertain tanks... not in any way obligated to heal sertain tanks. Spell slingers may have narrow cone heals making it harder to heal a stalker but still do able, and Short range medics can still lay stations and orbs giving them time to pull or jump to range to heal group or tanks.

I think with Skill each healer can hold their own well in most situations regarding raids and all other heal content.

Although at this point its all theory on all our part with just a pinch of info from the streams and such. Does not mean sertain situations cannot be overcome by the least expected class :)
  11. Laura

Laura Cupcake

They still have a lot of raid testing to do. I'm guessing that they might not quite know what to tell us about each healers true performance/functionality in raids yet. Let's hope they have a livestream dedicated to a 20/40 man raid and/or warplot!

Please devs? Pretty please? ;)
    Draxus likes this.
  12. Laura

Laura Cupcake

You have to squint really hard at the health bars of the party while they are in the dungeon.

Also, I think the level thirty bit popped up one time after a harder pull when the medic targeted himself.
  13. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, he was level 30 for sure. You have the option to down-level to match your group, but you don't have to. Not to mention he had all abilities available to him, when chances if he were really level 20-25 he would have much fewer to choose from.

As I've stated before, after the ESPer livestream healing problems, I think they decided to cheese it a bit and have the healer at least overleveled or overgeared. I for one loved seeing them wipe over and over in the first dungeon. It shows me that the gameplay is going to be challenging, even in the first dungeon.

That being said, the point of the livestreams is to show off the class and explain what their vision for it. What mechanics does it excel at? What does good play look like? What do the abilities do/look like? Etc. This was accomplished in the Medic livestream to a great degree. I liked that they went over many of the abilities available to the class and the way each of them work.
    Laura likes this.
  14. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Certain classes will be better at different things than others, however, each healing class MUST be able to at least complete the Veteran modes of dungeons. Otherwise they're never going to get to raiding without role switching.

As for tuning, I'd rule a lot of that under beta = beta, we'll have to see in Open beta if it's a problem or not :).

Not being able to do everything is a very good thing in my opinion. It helps to stress the need for co-operation!
    Witless, teh_ninjaneer and Laura like this.
  15. Kidney

Kidney Cupcake

Whoops, completely forgot about veteran modes, that probably makes more sense.

So most tanks have to switch to dps to raid, and healers have to switch to correct spec/pairing/whatever in order to raid? Maybe that's really the logistics of it *shrug*
  16. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Brett Scheinert (Dungeon Lead Designer) states at about the 2:28 point in this vid that you will be automatically down-leveled in a dungeon. This might not be implemented yet, or was broken for that dungeon, or purposely bypassed like you suggest, but the intent at release is to automatically down-level for dungeons.

The Devs stated they were cheating the areas in regards to abilities available and slots unlocked earlier in the livestream.

This does mean that even if the Medic was at level, they were still cheating a bit.
    Laura likes this.
  17. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Thanks. Haven't paid enough attention to that aspect.
  18. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

Interesting. This was optional earlier. I remember at one of the conferences a dev stating that you could do the mentoring system, or just stay the same level and help power through a dungeon for costuming gear, help your lowbie friends, etc.
  19. Whistler

Whistler Cupcake

Implications so far are that Esper's targeted and bursty heals will favor Stalker's movement-based tanking, Spellslinger's skillshots and range will favor less mobile Warriors, and Medic's medium armor and unique aspects might possible favor the Engineer, although we'll have to wait until Saturday to speculate any further.
    Witless likes this.
  20. Destian

Destian Cupcake-About-Town

Medics seemed very much to be the type of class that is more about setting up healing zones for allies and leaving it to the good sense of those allies to get the hell into the healing than applying heals directly.

With a relatively limited range, medics will no doubt be relying upon players stacking to maximize healing.

Also, I fell in love with medic the moment the words "high skill ceiling" were uttered about it.

There's nothing more satisfying than playing a class many regard as "too hard" or "too much work" and rocking faces with it.
    Kidney, Witless and Laura like this.