1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

For the Horde!! err Exiles... err Dominion???!?!

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by tr1age, May 23, 2013.

?

Which do you think will be the "Horde" in Wildstar?

1. Dominion = Horde

54.2%
  2. Exiles = Horde

49.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

It's a tough thing to do an exact comparison between the two games as they're pretty different from a lore perspective. But as I've learned more about Wildstar, it seems to me that the Exiles have more Horde characteristics than the Dominion if we're going to make the start of "the big damn MMO" the point of comparison.

At the start of World of Warcraft, the timeline had the two faction lore at the point where the Alliance was a group of people that had joined forces in the years past with the current loose mission of unifying their territory directed by the leader of the human faction. The Horde at this point was a ragtag bunch of races that banded together to resist domination, and they were led to a new world "Kalimdor" by an almost messianic figure in Thrall. Alliance was overconfident, poorly managed, and while powerful, made a lot of bad decisions to get to the point that they were at. The Horde were proud, aggressive in defense of their right to exist, and trying to carve out a world for themselves in a new land.

The Dominion seem to be led by the humans, make some pretty questionable tactical and strategic decisions in their expansion goals, and have the overwhelming numbers factor going for them. The Exiles were led to Nexus by their own "Thrall" dude, and are working to set up their own home and will aggressively fight back to try to secure their own way of life and all the lore that I've read seems to show that all the races have a deep hatred of the Dominion for their history of oppression or belligerence.

That's from a story standpoint. From a looks standpoint? It's probably somewhat reversed. The exiles so far seem to have the general appearance of softer/cuter (Granok excepted, but Granok are their own breed of awesome) as compared to the Dominion which seems harsher at first glance. People who don't care about lore at all will probably assume the Exiles are good and Dominion are bad. Exiles smile more, seem more upbeat, scrappy, etc. Dominion scowl more, seem more stern and calculating, and disciplined. These traits are usually associated as such.

I tend to look at Wildstar more from a Firefly perspective of Browncoats vs. Alliance. Each have their own evils/good to them. Alliance for order and safety, but you accept that you are basically under total control and surveillance and the central government can do whatever they want to you without justifying it. Browncoats/independants have far more freedom to do what they wish, but you get a far more dangerous and criminal world as a result. You have your freedom if you can keep it.

I'll be playing Exiles, as I love a good underdog story. Also, Rock people. Seriously. Robots are ok, but rock always beats laser. :)
    Korath likes this.
  2. Pang

Pang New Cupcake

Don't really care much for the comparisons from other games. I usually pick the faction based on the races that make them up, as well as usually (but not always purposely) falling in with the "badguy" side. Played Horde in WoW, played Chaos in WAR, played Empire in SWTOR. For Wildstar I simply like the look and feel of the Dominion much better than the Exiles so will of course be rolling Dominion.
  3. Graff (FLB)

Graff (FLB) Cupcake-About-Town

Its all generalization. The nature loving, hard working, tough but loveable people are always seen as the good guys. The military, shoot first ask questions later, all hail our ruthless leader people are seen as the bad guys.
  4. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

Wow some great responses! I think the general idea here is to see which will garner the most shouting pride. I get this feeling though that it will be pretty evenly split down the center.
  5. Korath

Korath New Cupcake

Hum. If by "shouting pride" you mean that it will be a faction contest to know which has the bigger you know what, I hope you're wrong. Even in a game were the pvp and the hatred between factions exist, it shouldn't be reflected among the playerbase. At least, it's what I believe.
  6. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

7. Korath

Korath New Cupcake

Oh, ok ! It's good then ^^.
  8. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

I can imagine people chanting "For the Dominion!" a lot easier than people chanting "For the Exiles".
  9. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

This is true, roles off the tongue more. Probably have For the Dominion and then For the Resistance!
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Maybe Carbine will create some nifty war cries for the factions in the game. XD
  11. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

While I'm going to refrain from directly comparing the two games, one thing I did want to touch on briefly was the perception of what is good, and what is bad, or at least how it pertains to us now in WildStar.

There was a very nice Uplink Analysis from October, 2012, that touched upon this very conundrum.

Don't get caught in the trap of pigeonholing either faction into one narrow definition just quite yet - you might just be surprised!
  12. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

I love this, but I do think regardless of saying there is no bad guy, you need to FEEL that the other faction is indeed the badguy or you are the badguy laying waste to the good to help you fuel the fire. :)

That said I agree this is all speculation, but fun speculation at that. :)
  13. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

At least we can absolutely agree on this point! :D
  14. Monarc

Monarc Cupcake

I think Carbine did a very good job in trying to equalize the factions to attract a similar mix of players to each side.

WoW (vanilla) had the monsters on one side and the cute/humanoid races on the other, making more of a distinct choice for payers, which seemed to result (at least at first) in older gamers going Horde and younger gamers going Alliance.

Don't see that as an issue here, but who knows.
    Trahma likes this.
  15. cirk

cirk Cupcake

Seeing how the dominion is lead by the (god) emperor of mankind there is no way I can resist.

FOR THE EMPEROR

[​IMG]
    Yakzan likes this.
  16. Gyoin

Gyoin New Cupcake

That's how I started to see this. Many horde players in the past would always think of the Alliance as "children", just because of the feel of goody goody usually attracting such type players. When trying to decipher this in the case of Exiles and Dominion, it's really hard to try to pinpoint which side will be the "childish" side, as both seem to have a good mix of mature and non-mature feels.

Also, this has a lot to do with the current player base in MMO's. The community has grown well beyond what it was in Vanilla WoW. Many people have stopped playing MMO's as a whole, but way more people have picked it up. Also, the "kids" in vanilla are now in the "adults" category and, most likely, their tastes have changed (due to their gaming influence or other situations). There are obviously new younger people playing MMO's, and I'm sure the whimsical parts of both sides will attract a relatively even mix. Hopefully it won't just be adults vs kiddos, but truly back to the game of exiles vs. dominion.

Back on topic: When I was playing WoW, I always felt the Alliance being an oppressive force against the horde, and the horde needed to retaliate against the alliance. Of course, I'm not a lore fanatic and I really don't know the true nature in that regards, but that's how I felt it to be. In the current view of the exiles and dominion, it feels like the dominion are the oppressive force against the exiles. The exiles are trying to grow and evolve and form a society, while the dominion are there to snuff it out.

I never had the feeling of evil versus good in WoW. I did, however, feel underdogs vs. favorites. That's how I'm viewing wildstar to be as well.

Horde - Exiles are the underdogs.
    Alliance - Dominian are the favorites.

Again, this is all I feel, not fact XD
  17. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

These are common misconceptions and they are easily reinforced by the fact that in these games your enemies often do act like idiot children (tea-bagging, name-calling, griefing, taunting, etc...). Also a good rule of thumb is that in every game with multiple factions, each faction thinks that the other faction is full of children. There was some surveys and statistics research done on the alliance / horde split, I need to go dig it up again, if I can find it. If recall correctly the average age of alliance and horde players was dead even, and the only real statistical split was that more female players preferred alliance over horde, which makes sense. I played both factions in that game from launch up until the end of Cata, so for about 7 years, and that pretty much reflects what I experienced.

As I sated in my massive wall of text on the previous page the Dominion / Exile conflict is very lop-sided, you have a clear oppressor and underdog going on here while in WoW there really was no underdog. Sure at times some of the various races within each faction were being oppressed but the two factions have basically just been trading blow for blow for hundreds of years. Something else to consider is that at the start of Vanilla WoW all of the playable races where native to Azeroth save for the Orcs, they were actually aliens from another world. As well the forsaken were a recent race that developed only in the past 4-5 years before the start of the game. So really the horde only had 2 established races, the Tauren, and the Trolls. This in part is why the horde feels a little bit more like a scrappy, underdog faction, they don't have a lot of history, stability, or long-lasting presence in the world in which the game is being played. However in terms of actual power there is no underdog.
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  18. Jackie1st

Jackie1st Cupcake

I feel like the exiles would have a bit more of the "for the horde" mentality.
    One of the things people liked about the horde was their less regimented feeling and that's one of the major aspects of the exiles. People love rooting for the underdogs. I feel like it's things like this that most people can have more enthusiasm for just judging from the reactions people have when declaring their alignment it seems like the exiles are much more devoted to their values.

I personally find the dominions lore much more intriguing but I can't deny the passion I've seen from some of the Exiles as they smack talk the dominion.
    tr1age likes this.
  19. Gryphon

Gryphon New Cupcake

I'm a "Bad Guy". So at first I just assumed that I'd be rolling the evil Dominion, but after looking some more, it is the Exiles for me. The orderly evil empire just doesn't have the same appeal as the outlaw/ mercenary, "we don't need to stinkin' badges", Exiles. You won't see me with bunny ears, but a Granok sounds awesome. Maybe even a Human, which I never play.
  20. Gyoin

Gyoin New Cupcake

Oh, here's another one!

Exiles vs Dominion
    Browncoats vs Alliance! RIGHT?