1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

For the Horde!! err Exiles... err Dominion???!?!

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by tr1age, May 23, 2013.

?

Which do you think will be the "Horde" in Wildstar?

1. Dominion = Horde

54.2%
  2. Exiles = Horde

49.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

I like all the discussion about the nuances that make the Horde and Alliance both be firmly in a gray area. I could probably go on and on about old hatreds and the history of both sides that lead up to the state of that game's lore today. It's actually a really fascinating thing to discuss.

But I don't really view the Dominion or the Exiles as being close to either the Horde or Alliance. (the horde is hardly the ragtag bunch of refugees people are claiming, and the Alliance isn't as cleancut or elegant as the Dominion is)

It's a lot closer to Alliance vs Browncoats or Empire vs Republic.

Alliance/Empire/Dominion are all very clean cut, totalitarian societies, doing what they think is right.

I'd even go so far as to say, in some ways, the Dominion has shades of the Galactic Republic pre-empire.

The Exiles/Browncoats/Rebels are just trying to survive and make a home for themselves, though the Rebels want to overthrow the empire, it doesn't look like the Exiles want to overthrow the Dominion.

I can also point at BSG as well, for the Exiles = Colonies, anyway, if not the Dominion.
    Yermoh likes this.
  2. tr1age

tr1age Cupcake

3. Huffle Puff

Huffle Puff Cupcake

Multiple votes are allowed, and a few people have voted for both options.
  4. Ennui

Ennui Cupcake

that shouldn't matter... it is mathematically impossible as we know it to naturally get anything more than 100%
    people voting more than once just increases the count. it should still add up to 100.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

No, it's strictly looking at the percentage of those who voted. Some people voted for both, which means that the percentage goes up for both columns, not just one. It would only be 100% if you couldn't vote multiple times. If the poll only allowed for one choice and added a choice for "Both", you would get the percentages to = 100%. It makes perfect sense if you think about it for a little bit.

I've seen other polls that look a lot like this but it's because people vote for several choices.
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  6. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

I think your knowledge of the warcraft universe is a bit twisted if you do not think the two factions are very similar parallels.

The horde was not oppressive until Garrosh took control of the horde, and his actions can be viewed as nothing less than abominable to most of the horde. The butchering of Cairne bloodhoof, the banishment of Vol'Jin, and the demoralization of the undead. Garrosh may be appointed warchief but he is no warchief to the horde as a whole, and in reality has very few followers, most people would just prefer him dead and view him as a huge mistake on blizzards behalf. He doesn't represent what the horde stands for in any way shape or form.

Thrall (the true leader of the horde, you know from vanilla till catafail) was an alliance slave, as were most orcs in Azeroth (Eastern Kingdoms not Kalimdor), i'm aware there were tribes of orcs in EK but those are not members of the horde, they are remnants of the fel orcs.

Cairne Bloodhoof allied with Thrall because he felt Thrall was a just and compassionate leader. Enough said about his personality.

Vol'Jin may be a more neutral character than Thrall or Cairne, but his tribe was pushed to the brink of extinction by the alliance raiding their villages in Stranglethorn, which the alliance had absolutely no rights to the trolls land, seeing as the trolls were around before the first dwarven ancestor stepped foot out of Northrend.

Lady Sylvanas and her undead are the example of true good, they did the unthinkable and rebelled against the lich king. The will it would take to suppress that kind of mind control is almost unimaginable.

To cover the alliance now.

Varian Wrynn, he's speciesist. He believes humans are the only race FIT to rule Azeroth. No more need be said about this douche bag.

Malfurion Stormrage cast out his own brother for obtaining power to SAVE THE <REDACTED>ING PLANET! He imprisoned his own brother who had no intent other than to keep his people safe no matter the cost to himself. Malfurion? douch bag. Tyrande Whisperwind is just as guilty as Malfurion for not intervening to save Illidan from his unjust punishment.

Magni Bronzebeard may be the only truly good leader among the alliance, but now he's a pretty statue and his evil <REDACTED> of a daughter Moira Thaurissan now sits on the council of three.

Gelbin Mekkatorque may be spoken highly of, however any leader who would nuke his own people to prevent his city from falling is anything but a hero.

The horde formed under Thrall, the orcs that raided stormwind from the dark portal were under the control of the burning legion. They had no say in this, read up on Garona Halforcen for an example of just how little control they had over their own bodies.

The alliance may have originally be the first to be struck, but they are hardly in the position of the exiles and have never been pushed even close to such a situation.

There was no civil war amongst Exiles, the humans of the exiles rebelled against the cassians, thus for humans on both factions. The Exiles have no garrosh equivalent, not even close. The 2 exile only races are also peaceful races, the Granok of the exiles were those who fought back against the dominion to protect their way of life, they were exiled by their own people. The Aurin were almost completely wiped out by the dominion, who were seemingly unprovoked by the aurin (much like the alliance raiding the Dark Spear Trolls)

To be honest, you can make dozens comparisons between alliance/dominion and exile/horde.

I was a huge WoW lore whore. Probably why I'm so stoked for this game, me and all my guildies feel like it may be vanilla WoW 2.0
  7. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

Why does everyone confuse the burning legion with the horde. The orcs of WC2 were controlled by the burning legion. They had next to no free will.

I can't recall any bad acts on the hordes behalf during their forming. Lady Sylvanas may be the only person who I can think of that was a ruthless member of the horde in WC3.

aside from the fact that Thrall and Cairne Bloodhoof would have been happier to see both sides live in harmony. I don't like to get into anything post WotLK lore wise, because blizz did a royal job of jibbing their lore out the window at every chance in Cata, they created a dozen paradoxes and have all but discredited the canon lore of the universe (though lets face it, the turning of Illidan bull <REDACTED> during was a pretty big kick to lore fans balls too).

So not at all like WoW, where the alliance was the only true faction for over 500 years prior to the dark portal. Then during the war against the orcs several races began to take up arms against their overlords. I'm beginning to question your knowledge of WoW's lore.

calling it. you know much less of the lore of WC than you think. The alliance population exceeds 800 thousand whereas the horde has a population of approximately 292 thousand.

With the introduction of the Luminai (spell it right?) the Dominion actually comes off less evil to me, as they may be actually controlled by the Elden, which would be a serious lore twist and would cast the Dominion in a more pre-horde faction.

I do have to agree about the good guy bad guy bit, at least until WotLK when Varian returned to stormwind and started a <REDACTED> storm over the close ties that were beginning to form between the alliance and horde. The alliance has become far more evil than good since.
  8. Korath

Korath New Cupcake

Hahahahahaha !

No.

From the beginning of WoW, the Horde was a warmachine which butchered Alliance's citizens at its whims, invaded lands which didn't belonge to it to steal their ressources and hide behind the Internment Camp, which were put in place because the orcs waged of genocidal war against Humanity, the dwarves and the elves. The alternative was to see them all dead. Almost all the orcs were left to rot in their filth because they had lost all their motivations and weren't use as slaves at all.

Then came Thrall, freeing is people and threatening Lordaeron : "Give us lands or we'll kill you to take it". First thing he do. He then claim the the Horde is reborn, the Horde which was the name of the most atrocious army of monsters ever seen on Azeroth save the Burning Legion. Even the Scourge was less effective in its destructions during the Third War.

Thrall then named the capital of is new country Orgrimmar, in homage to a genocidal maniac who butchered and tortured humans for pleasure. The Horde never was the underdog, or the poor humiliated species that their fans tried to paint, they were a ragtag gathering of monsters, psycopaths and abominations that all deserve to be wipedt out.

As for Varian Wrynn, when he has less than ten years, he saw Garona, an orc that his father befriended murder him, leading to the destruction if his Kingdom. And he reclaimed is throne during WotLK he lost his best friend, Bolvar, to a weapon which was developped by the Horde, funded by the Horde and prepared to be used by the Horde, he then came to Undercity to discover that Thrall allowed experiments on living humans and dwarves. That is the Horde.

As for Malfurion, I hate him, but since he is a druid, he isn't a part of the Alliance but a traitor who prefer the Horde above his own people and thereforce deserve to die. I would have love to side with Leyara to kill the <REDACTED>.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Gotta say... I love this interpretation of Warcraft lore. XD
  10. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

Tell the jews of the holocaust they weren't slaves. You do know what an internment camp is right? Do you know why the orcs lost their motivation? Because they were no longer controlled by the burning legion after the downfall of Mediev (a human, possessed by the ultimate baddie of the WC universe).

also... "Blackmoore gave him the name Thrall, which was another word for "slave" in the human tongue." Ya, the leader of the interment camp named a baby orc slave, no worries though, they weren't slaves.

Then thrall? The current horde was FOUNDED by Thrall and Orgrim, who lead the orcish horde, they are two completely different factions.

To give you the short and clean straight from wowwiki"Thrall's first action as Warchief was to attack Durnholde in an effort to dismantle the entire internment camp system."
    "When Thrall arrived at Durnholde with the Horde at his back, he confronted a drunken Blackmoore and asked for a peaceful parlay in order to prevent useless bloodshed."

"Thrall gave a message to Blackmoore's second-in-command, Lord Karramyn Langston, to take to his superiors: free the remaining orcs and cede land for their use. If the Alliance would let them be, they would not trouble them and would be willing to engage in cooperation and trade. If the Alliance chose to fight them, they would make an enemy the likes of which had never been seen before, making the old warlock-controlled Horde shrink to insignificance. He then left Durnholde after allowing the Sergeant and surviving humans to walk away unharmed." -that is hardly claiming the horde reborn or threatening "give us lands or we'll kill you to take it". They simply stated if the alliance wanted to continue to fight, the horde would not refuse them their war.

holy <REDACTED>, your lore is twisted to favor the alliance, its almost scary. Seriously, i'm worried for you that you actually twisted lore of a video game to paint the alliance as good guys in scenarios that they were CLEARLY in the wrong. I mean to do it in game is one thing, but in a discussion that is comparing the factions false biased lore isn't exactly normal.

Orgrim Doomhammer may have lead the invasion against the kingdom of man but he never tortured a human for pleasure. The only person he ever tortured was Garona to uncover the location of the council (the evil warlocks controlling the horde). Orgrim may have made several mistakes as the leader of the horde (allowing Gul'dan to live and create the death knights). Also Zuluhed to research dragon souls and keep Alexstrasza prisoner was definitely a <REDACTED>ed up move on his behalf. He paid for these mistakes, and was forced to retreat to blackrock where the final battle of the second war took place. HOWEVER these events took place prior to Thrall meeting Orgrim. Thrall only knew Orgrim after his defeat and imprisonment, Orgrim had changed as a character dramatically during the years between the end of the second war and his meeting Thrall, thus why Thrall named the capital of Orgrimmar after him.

1st Garona was being controlled by the shadow council (literally mind controlled).

2nd Bolvar AND Dranosh Saurfang was killed by the weapon deployed by the undead grand apothecary Putress who then took over the undercity while Lady Sylvanas was in Northrend. He was branded a traitor by Thrall. His actions went unknown due to the horde's focus on the threat of the Lich King.

3rd The experiments performed on humans and dwarves was again lead by Putress.

4th How does someone have such vague knowledge of a major in game event?

Something we agree on.
  11. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

Thank god. he was trolling. I was seriously thinking I was losing my mind. lol
  12. Xlugon Pyro

He made some good points but the rest of I just had to laugh. Very entertaining piece of literature, it was.
  13. Huffle Puff

Huffle Puff Cupcake

[​IMG]
    Korath, ShadowNugget and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

ROFLMAO
  15. Korath

Korath New Cupcake

No. You are dead wrong, once again. The Orcs were the Nazi, not the humans. They wiped whole species (the Draeneï) and tried to do it on the Eastern Kingdoms. And the Horde of Thrall is exactly the same than Doomhammer's one (hell, there is three locations named after Kargath Bladefist, a member of the Shadow Council and a known Fel Orc : Kargathia, Bladefist Bay, Kargath -now New Kargath). And the internment camps were the most kind solution, the other one being the mass murder of all the orcs, there wasn't team of special soldiers tracking the orcs to kill them, like Israel as done (understandably) to the Nazis. The fact that Terenas was too kind and let the orcs live costed the world a lot more than the more monstruous choice. And, ocne again, Thrall is an exception, the vast majority of the orcs was left to rot in the camps, without anyone killing them because of their species : they were jept alive by the very people they seeked to genocide.

The Alliance never was in the wrong. They defended against a horde of monsters and disgusting creatures, and Garrosh (and even thrall before him) pooved that Daelin was right when he claimed that the Orcs would never change : they rush, kill, maim and rape their enemies because they can. You may love this sort of factions, but not me. The Horde have backstabbed the Alliance numerous time and it wasn't until after the Wrathgate that the Alliance retaliated.

The Blight was created by the Horde playrs in the old Hillsbrad. I know it, I made the quests from both sides of the old world. The Apothecarium wasn't Putress property, but Faranell's who still serve the Banshee. There is humans slaves in the Undercity and in the Horde as a whole, with Thrall's advisor being a slaver himself. Yes, I'm talking about Reg'har.

And finally, yes, Ogrimm Doomhammer tortured humans for his pleasure. You may want to read Tide of Darkness if you don't trust me. But the Horde never was a ragtag faction of misunderstood peoples. Thrall himself never stopped the acts of aggression of the Horde because they were beneficial to him. That's why the Varian of WotLk was a good character, while his present incarnation sucks so much (only his brat is worst).

But we derived too far from the original topic, I think.
  16. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

Death or Slavery?

I'd choose death, in that I have to say alliance are far more monstrous than some blood thirsty fel orcs.
  17. Xlugon Pyro

I love how this poll is dead even now. There is clearly no consensus here.

ENDLESS DEBATE, GO!!!
  18. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

The horde has done far worse to the world of Azeroth than the alliance has, that is simply true. No amount of thrall making excuses will detract from that fact.
  19. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

I was hoping the Horde players were going to go Exile because of the similar themes. Underdog faction composed of races that have little in common trying to make their way in the world and start a new life of freedom from oppression. That and I'm going Dominion and I seriously can't stomach the "FOR THE HORDE!!!!111one" people...
  20. Xlugon Pyro

FOR THE HORDE!!!!1!!!!111111!!1!!!1one/