1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

For the Horde!! err Exiles... err Dominion???!?!

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by tr1age, May 23, 2013.

?

Which do you think will be the "Horde" in Wildstar?

1. Dominion = Horde

54.2%
  2. Exiles = Horde

49.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nesphito

Nesphito Cupcake

I've always loved how pumped the Horde fanboys got for their faction ( I did play Horde so I am a little biased). I am having a hard time deciding on a faction though. It will depend on the next races for me though, if the next exile race is really cool I may have to make a stalker of that race (since I always loved how undead rogues looked).
  2. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

I think Dominion fans will get as pumped as the Horde fans do, imo the reason horde fans got that way was because the horde are bestial and almost barbaric in appearence, of the two factions the Dominion will come across like that a hell of a lot more than the Exiles who have dainty wood pixies while we have the Draken and the malevolant looking Cassians.
  3. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Cassians are just Humans. Now, the Draken do like Barbaric, but the Dominion has the a major "cutesy race" with the Chua and I'm hoping this will dissuade those Horde folks. Add to that the Undead race for the Exiles and the Granok.
  4. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

I don't know where all this Chua talk has come from, is it from leaks or something because it's not been announced afaik.

Cassians have the evil vibe going on, something which the normal humans and Granok don't have. Mechari look pretty sinister to.
    Nesphito likes this.
  5. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Cupcake

Not nessarially. Carbine in yesterday's lore release hinted that some rank and file Cassians might have a little Luminai ancestry.

This might not be very noticeable, but somethings by still be possible. In theory, there might be the option in character creation for Cassians for slightly (and I mean slightly) pointed ears.
  6. Drasas

Chua were announced during a Gamespot interview as the final Dominion race. They were not named at the time, but from the art during the last few public presentations we've discovered their name from the housing options. It's not a leak.

I fail to see how visually different they are going to be from Exile Humans... I know people with slightly pointed ears in real life.
  7. Noa

Noa Cupcake

I do love the switch up though, I mean in one game the horde is mostly beastial creatures and are usually the best loved underdog and also the color red. The alliance is more humanoid and more 'noble' creatures that are trying to expand/protect their territory(s) and are the color blue. YET here we are, the exiles who are comprised of mostly humanoids, yet are the underdogs, though stick with the color blue. The Dominon, wish to expand their empire without delay, are mostly comprised of beastial types and their color is red.

If I had to pick I'd say it would be a tough one. It's like.. the exiles are the alliance, yet instead of being on top, they are at the bottom trying to survive and the horde has gotten a leg up over them and has stayed there for a long while, with the blood elves now apparently have 'mixed' in with humans to become cassians.
  8. Nesphito

Nesphito Cupcake

Seems like each faction has a race for everyone. Both have humans, both have the warlike races (Draken and Granok), both have the 'badass' race (Mechari and undead things), and both presumably have some type of 'animal' race.
  9. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

Well it seems both have "cute" races, Aurin and Chua.
  10. Drasas

Well, I can tolerate splitting the Horde. I'm still hoping the rabid mouth-foaming "FOR THE HORDE!!!!111ONE" people go Exile.
  11. Nekowhatsit

Nekowhatsit New Cupcake

Just from what I've seen after a day or two on the forums I feel most like the Dominion will produce that "Horde!" mentality. I don't mean that in a negative connotation whatsoever, it just seems like Dominion players are the first to be vocal about their faction over several instances. Again, that thought is just based on brief observation.

EDIT: I feel the need also, while talking about factions, to note how pleasant it is to see a general good natured rivalry being cultivated between Dominion and Exile players, at least on this forum.
  12. Drasas

I'll be cutting myself if I have to deal with those folks.
  13. Nekowhatsit

Nekowhatsit New Cupcake

Well, when I say "vocal" I don't mean it in a bad way. It's not like I've encountered any "DOMINION RULS ROFL EXILES BLOW YOU GUYS ARE !^#($)_#* ". I simply mean playful, but unmistakeably, pride driven "I am Dominion" kind of attitudes.
  14. Drasas

I only care about my faction when there's a competition. People screaming "YEAH!!!! 'X FACTION'!!!!!" Make me wish their parents would have used birth control.
    Ennui likes this.
  15. Nekowhatsit

Nekowhatsit New Cupcake

Understandable and I know the kind of cases you're talking about. I, personally, find a little bit of faction pride even outside of PVP is fun so long as it isn't taken to a player bashing level. I suppose you could view it as this: so long as there are opposing factions in a game, the game will always be a competition. That doesn't mean it cannot be a friendly competition, but a competition it will be. Obviously some might not choose to take part or actively compete, but I find that similar to...say... football. You can like the game without liking a team, but if you like a particular team it deepens the enjoyment of a game and (generally) you're going to cheer for that team.
  16. Zakis

Zakis New Cupcake

Man this turned into quite an awesome discussion. Lots of great points on all sides, lovin it!
  17. Baeldan

Baeldan Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I see the Exiles being the Horde equivalent.

The Exiles are a ragtag group of races which have come together to fight against an oppressive force.
    The Horde are a ragtag group of races which have come together to fight against an oppressive force.

The Dominion are the organised imperialists who drove most of the Exile races from their homes.
    The Alliance are the organised imperialsts who drove most of the Horde races(ok, well just Orcs) from their homes. (and ok it wasn't their homes, it was where they squatted after the war)

The Dominion appear to believe in something akin to a divine right to rule.
    The Alliance believe in divine right to rule.

The Orcs and Tauren are mighty warriors, but are peaceful by nature (except when the Orcs drink demon blood).
    The Granok are mighty warriors, but are peaceful by nature.

There are obviously a lot of differences too, but to me it seems that on balance, the Exiles fit the Horde theme the best.

On a sidenote, I'm also quite in favour of a little faction pride as long as it's not obnoxiously aggressive. I had faction pride in WoW, Rift and Planetside and it made the experience generally better. I also like the odd bit of roleplay - not with others, just in my head. Faction pride and getting into the lore helps with that a bunch. It tends to make your experience in a game richer. It causes you to become more emotionally invested in your character. Again, as long as it's not stupidly aggressive.
  18. Mazaik

Mazaik New Cupcake

Totally agree, but good or evil is entirely based upon perception. I myself find myself leaning towards the Dominion, because whats a galaxy without a little order, chaos: and my boys, those hardworking, whip-cracking, planet busting warriors, are here to bring a little order to that Wild Wild Nexus.
  19. Nesphito

Nesphito Cupcake

To me the Exiles seem more like the Alliance races with the Horde story and vice versa. Also the Granok feel more like Dwarves to me, orcs and tauren were more about caring for nature and protecting the elements. As a former Horde player both factions feel more like alliance imo than Horde, but each faction has traits of both.

All this discussion makes it harder and harder to decide on a faction!
  20. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, lots of protecting going on in the Ashenvale lumber camps. Ever since vanilla, the orcs were known for fighting off the night elves in the area over who protects nature better.
    Nesphito likes this.