1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Gamescom Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by binzer, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Habanero

Habanero New Cupcake

just found: Jeremy Gaffney presentation:

Enjoy!
  2. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

Anyone know if any news about fishing has comin up?
  3. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Two or three weeks ago devs stated that fishing was not currently in the game, it had been but was then removed, because they had not found a way to make it fun.
  4. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

I don't know how to feel about this lol.....

On one hand fishing is so underwhelming and boring in WoW. On the other I hate to see a layer of content being excluded from WildStar.
  5. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

I can't see fishing in the classical sense ever being interesting in an mmo, and it's always going to be something people will try their best to make bots for.

Perhaps something like harpoon gun fishing could be fun though...
  6. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Lead combat designer Chris Lynch interviewed by Athene. I assume this is from Gamescom. Contains a good introduction/summary of combat mechanics.
    Chris also stated that the point at which a player can begin structured PvP is still being determined, but players will likely have the option at a low level: 1, 3, 6, or 8.

Chrilin likes this.
  7. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are floating about the intertubes.
    Sapien and ruff_ethereal like this.
  8. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Haha that looks pro :D
  9. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Howd do you think WildStar did in The ZAM Gamescom 2013 Awards?

You can read the full list of awards here.
  10. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

I think fishing is supose to be relaxing (abreakfrom all fighting, just like crafting is), but if Carbine succed to make it fun too, i am a happy camper.
    I just hope they are implementing it too Wildstar.

Thanks for the info about fishing. :up:
  11. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Zam.com interviewed Jeremy Gaffney at Gamescom. The whole interview can be read at this link. There is a lot of interesting things in this interview, well worth it to read it in its entirety.

OPEN WORLD PVP
    RAID BOSSES IN WARPLOTS
    THE MILLION IDIOT MARCH
    ON THE ECONOMY
    MOUNTS
    Sapien, Gunghoe, Ianpact and 3 others like this.
  12. Habanero

Habanero New Cupcake

Hello again,
    another interview with Jeremy Gaffney presented by the charming Kaeyi :)

Cheers!
    Ianpact likes this.
  13. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

what other developer smiles like he does about the game that he is leading?
    Habanero likes this.
  14. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

Really? :rolleyes: Um, all of them.

Don't get me wrong, JG has some serious charisma but don't fanboy it too much. Let's let the game speak for itself.
    Screenager and Habanero like this.
  15. Habanero

Habanero New Cupcake

Umh, yes. Too much hype isn't helpful. I agree that the game needs to convince us by itself. (When we get the chance to play it)
    Thanks for pointing out.

Don't want to fall in the same trap as I did with GW2. Was a major disappointment.
  16. Ugh

Ugh Cupcake

I really hope they find a way to implement fishing. I find it pretty crucial, as trivial as it is.
    Maybe they could have dynamite fishing or make it like mining where occasionally you'll get a huge sea monster you have to fight off .

Or maybe unique ways to fish for each race, such as:
    Chua fish with dynamite
    Aurin catch fish with their teeth
    Humans fish with harpoons, Cast Away style
    Mordesh put their smelly feet in the water

Mostly just dreaming here, but it would make fishing pretty interesting.

Of course I also want to be able to sit in chairs. =(
    Even if that isn't in at launch though I suspect that there will be so many complaints that they'll work something out.
  17. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

You and me both, brother, you ..and ..me ..both. :cry:

The picture they painted and the picture they presented are not the same thing. Some people are loving that game and there are parts that I like but the overall game is a disappointment indeed.
  18. Gunghoe

Gunghoe Cupcake-About-Town

To farther explain why I said this, Even i know that can be a great seller having a smile. But really what made his smile stand out to me is nearly all the ESO people just look so bored. They rarely ever smile, it's as if they are doing a job they do not want to do. I for sure think there may be potential for ESO, but really, something about everything they present leaves me feeling that this game is just going to be a fluff money grab. Not like GW2 those fans where just unrealistic in their expectations, and from the varied reports i have had with disapointment, it seems like they added a lot of things that was planned in their heads. Nothing what the developers said. Maybe they speculated the updates would be gigantic, or maybe they speculated what the end game would have been like. I knew it was PvP end game. (that was the MOST hyped feature.) and then there was dynamic events, though a little more extreme compared to Rift, But i knew what those dynamic events entail. They get boring almost as fast as basic questing. If and when i buy wildstar , I know right now it will be fun. But how will they keep me for more than 3 months?

Pretty much the reason why his smile stood out, is because of the developers of ESO, They do not seem the least bit excited about the game, they seem like drones just to get info out. And the trailers are left to do the hype. There just seems like there is something crusial about ESO that is missing.... Im afraid to find out.

This game seems to promise the world, but what happens if it sells just decently, and they over projected how much they must make Post launch 2 to 3 months after launch. Even in the FAN boy thread i was realistic.

But why did you guys focus on me, just saying something rather pointless rather than tribes post.... For me that is the best interview, at Gamescom.
    Habanero and Ugh like this.
  19. Habanero

Habanero New Cupcake

@Gunghoe
    I couldn't agree more. I got the same impression from all the ESO interviews and even the (supposed to be awesome) EQN presentation was lacking in the same way: a staged presentation with mediocre acting instead of genuine excitement about their game. I won't buy anything from these PR-zombies.

With regard to GW2:
    most of my disappointments with this game are due to horrible technical execution rather than design flaws. Programming, game engine, UI, controls, skills, traits, events!, things in the gameworld... pretty much everything was ridden with nasty bugs and lazy (or unfinished) implementation. That was soo annoying!
    There was even a huge decline in technical quality from the betas to release to months after the major patches! To me it felt like the game was unfinished, untested and then made worse. It's unbelieveble!
    Enough of that I'm already starting to rage again...

Let's look forward to PAX Prime and have an ale!
    Respect!
    Gunghoe likes this.