1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Gamescom Thread

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by binzer, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Protoquiz Rewards (completed puzzles). Thank you to everyone who submitted answers.

English
    [​IMG]

German
    [​IMG]

French
    [​IMG]
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  2. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

So, does anyone feel any different towards Wildstar after Gamescon? Did we learn anything new?

I'm still the same. I want to play, combat still looks slow, we still don't know the last classes, etc..
    Tribe likes this.
  3. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

I learned about Datascape and the ability to change the sky on your housing plot, also that the beta will go up in October, and saw some character creation videos. Everything else was pretty much just same old. :p
    Sonntam and Witless like this.
  4. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Other than the possible restart of beta in October.... Nothing.:sleep:

A possibility of more next week perhaps? Maybe. I did read earlier in the thread about it being a little unfair to the European community to release a bunch of new stuff at prime. I agree.

Until Prime though it's pure speculation. A shame really.... Isn't this the last big group of expos before spring?
    Fishsticks, Sonntam and Witless like this.
  5. scope7

scope7 New Cupcake

You guys are act like we haven't learned anything new in the past week... remember they did just reveal the business model right before gamescom? Thats about all I expected to hear as news by this time and I definitely didn't expect them to reveal anything big at the gamescom. New classes will likely be at PAX Prime.
  6. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

I was expecting big news, because some time ago they said there would be "super-sexy new announcements".

"Not to mention the content we are creating just for this event. It will include super-sexy new announcements, hands-on gameplay with content you’ve never seen before, and a whole host of special events that will give our fans from Germany and the rest of the world the opportunity to spend quality time with the WildStar development team."
    Sonntam and Witless like this.
  7. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

Well the CC Devspeak qualifies as new announcements, I suppose, they did have hands-on gameplay, and they did have fun with the devs. You may have expected more, but it seems like they delivered on what they said they'd deliver on.
    Kataryna likes this.
  8. Chrilin

Silly to argue about trivial points. All that follows are my opinions...

I saw some interesting clips and watched several interviews. All good fun.

Not a lot new or "unknown" at Gamescon.

It would seem unfair a week after Gamescon to have a big "reveal" at Prime. Although, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility.

Last... I want to thank all of the the folks that posted their videos and pics. They have all been fun to look at and watch!:)

I do have a question... Is Prime the last big convention before spring 2014?
  9. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

According to Massively, yes, Pax Prime is the last big convention before the release window.
    Fishsticks likes this.
  10. TheHeroKiller

TheHeroKiller New Cupcake

Really looking forward to finding out what are the last 2 classes and any other new information about the game.

I believe its one of the most promising games to be released the past few years . Most games nowadays dont offer anything new but Wildstar seems to have changed that, but at the end of the day it all comes down on how they actually launch the game + alot more that has to do with post release content patches etc
  11. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

I'll have to disagree, there were plenty of new things at gamescom, they just weren't groundbreaking like a class reveal would have been.

The demos were informative and showed new stuff, fans got a chance to bash a dungeon boss at the party and play a area that they haven't really said much about, also if you had any questions you could have just walked up to a dev and ask, as long as it's something they can speak about they would answer your questions etc.

Might not have been anything huge for people closely following the game but it was still a nice chunk of info
    ruff_ethereal and Tacomagamefan like this.
  12. Rek

Rek Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think it's unfair to now do a big reveal at PAX. The people that went to gamescon still got to play the game and speak with the devs. They never planned any panels which is where the big reveals are likely to come in pax.

I suppose it's also easier to make big announcements in English anyway as it's what the devs speak.
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Even though the event was in Germany and the majority of the visitors were German, I can assure you they all understand and speak English, so announcing anything wouldn't be a problem. Besides they do have at least one German speaking dev, so would have been fine either way.
  14. ArcViper

ArcViper Cupcake

They don't really need big conventions to bring out new info or reveals. All it takes is a new video or blog post. The conventions themselves generate enough hype as is, with the demos, interviews and extra publicity.

They still have the better part of a year before release, so they need to keep the hype going. If they blew their load at Gamescom/PAX Prime, they would have a tougher job keeping people excited in the following months. PAX East isn't until April, which is right in the middle of the release window.

If we do get another beta around October, I would expect the class reveals to be shortly before that. I imagine they would want them to be playable getting this close to launch.

Perhaps I'm over-thinking it and they simply weren't ready to show off the classes (you wouldn't want to reveal them but not have them playable in the demo). Who knows.

We can be grateful for what we saw from Gamescom but you can't really argue that we got a lot of new info. We got a little bit of new gameplay to look at and some interesting interviews, but nothing really new. You are looking at it from the perspective of someone who was there and had hands-on time with the game, most of us were not. Not trying to sound entitled or whiny (I'm happy with what we got), just pointing it out.
    Chrilin likes this.
  15. Chrilin

Exactly... No point in talking about hype. As much as I would love to see Wildstar have more exposure, with the pushback of launch it is still early. I asked about the conventions for my personal knowledge knowing my opinion on the matter stated is irrelevant.

^^ Pretty much yes. Nice vids, photos, and interviews. Just not a lot new for me personally.
  16. Chrilin

Thanks.
  17. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

I never tried to argue it was a lot of new stuff, but as someone that rarely ever finds new WildStar related things nowadays I felt like a got a nice dosage there. Yes, I am speaking from the perspective of someone that was there, but most of the things that were new for me were not from hands-on time with the game but were related to the demos they showed. I am aware a lot of people did not have the privilege to see the footage that was shown but that doesn't mean it was not provided. I know a lot of people made videos so perhaps a decent quality one will be uploaded some time soon so you'll be able to see what I mean.
  18. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Will you please share your thoughts having had "hands-on time with the game"? Starter zone or Whitevale? Class, race, etc. etc.
  19. Habanero

Habanero New Cupcake

After thinking again, the amount of information and entertainment provided was good. Devs and fans were in a good mood and had a great time.
    From several interviews with Chris and Jeremy I learned that a major thing for them to show us was dungeon(raid) gameplay. The demos showed that as well. I'm pleased.

Just found a nice video with lots of information (I was craving for)

Cheers!
  20. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

Did both zones, Whitevale on a mordesh stalker settler and human esper explorer, starter zone on a granok warrior soldier. The starter zone basically eases you into the game, introduces you to the combat and wasn't overly difficult with the warrior. The soldier path hold outs were fun and engaging. As for Whitevale, I used my time to sneak around and pvp a bit (ganking people). On the esper I was running around exploring, so not a lot of details I can offer there, but the zone is visually very appealing with some very cool looking mobs.

I enjoyed my time playing and found the combat smooth and dynamic, all in all it got me more excited about the release. Sorry I don't have more to share, our play time was limited to 25 mins, and that's not a lot of time mmo-wise.