1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Gearing and "rareness"

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by kredes, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

It all depends how many people you are going to see equipped in items in these colours. In Vanilla WoW I was excited seeing people wearing full set of blues and if somebody had even one purple it was like wow, wtf. So more colours will help but they must not give those high colours easily. Make them very difficult to get so Blue is the standard max level item and purple is for really dedicated players, orange for dedicated+skilled ones and red for dedicated+skilled+patient+lucky :D
    Sapien and Extatica like this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

And now something that isn't directed towards Livin.....but it's directed to our beloved Gronky!!! :sneaky:

It's something that has been bothering me for a long time......so bare with me. I just have to say something about it......for the sake of keeping myself sane (which is hard, if you know me :alien:).
    We got a ''like'' button for posts like these.....it's to prefent cluttering up the threads with alot of ''smilies''.

So these are 4 posts.....you do know you can QUOTE more then 1 post PER POST?

Heck, I just quoted 5 posts into 1....see it works! :rolleyes:

This isn't something in this thread, but the past few threads you keep quoting posts that you can just quote into 1 single post......why?

And yes this is a genuine questing, for I can't see the ''positive'' side in this.....if everyone does this....oh the horror :eek:

This way it just looks like you post for the sake of posting....atleast it does to me...

Sorry Gronky but I had to ask and say something about it.....:D
  3. Mukesh

Mukesh Cupcake

Since WoW, all loot color structure has been the same standard. Any derivation from it is seen practically as heresy.

But let's look at WoWs current end game loot:
    Raid finder purple
    Flex raid purple
    Normal mode purple
    Forged normal purple
    Heroic purple
    Forged heroic purple

So why not make heroic gear a different color? Or why not make forged type armor a different color? The name of a color tier is mostly semantic. While I agree the term legendary carries a lot of baggage with it, the same could be said 6 years ago of epics.
    Sapien, Rek and Extatica like this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

And again we got some anoying guy that can manage to say the same as i'm trying to say but not with 100 posts like I do......but even with just a few words......:D

WTB this ''skill'' :p

But I completely agree with you (who would've guessed ;)), Purple gear in WoW is just become a too big of a group.
    It doesn't say anything anymore, not even about how hard it was to get it, just as I said a couple of times :up:
    Sapien and Mukesh like this.
  5. Gronky

I believe it's software's job to join them together. From need comes greed comes progress. Maybe some clever programmers will see your whining and fix the forums so they join posts for you. Maybe even a check-boxoption :D

I met first post first and I've answered. When I've seen the next one and I went to edit I couldn't press replay on the next post anymore as edit screen was different than replay screen.

And I responded with :up: because I didn't liked the whole post, but only a part of it.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

But I've seen you do the same with posts that are there for some hours, so it appears you don't just first read all posts, but just read 1 post and comment on it, and that with all those posts......

Why not first read them all, and then comment on them?

Also you can ''edit'' the first post you make with another ''quote'' you have in the bottom of your screen....It only takes you 1 Ctrl C+V to do so.....

Ah well.....I atleast know the reason why you do it now....you're just a fat lazy ass Granok that need some ass-wooping on Nexus!
    Luckely for you, we can easily do this with you :up:
  7. Gronky

8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well I like being spanked! (True I give you that), so yes I loved being a druid tank for that reason alone!

But you'll get spanked as soon as you enter the ''open world'' :D Chua infestation will follow whereever you go! And no you won't win!
  9. Borz

Borz Cupcake-About-Town

Short history lesson first.
    Grey-white-colored is something descendant from old times, back when games prefered to put in little useless things for sake of 'realism'/reason rather than player convinience. Gray items are damaged beyond repair, or other kinds of junk. Broken swords and so on, because why the heck not, it's normal when exploring ruins to find ruined weapons. Then this quality was extended to 'small' junk you find on enemies, and got widely known as 'trash' quality, meaining useless things.
    White is 'normal', everyday thing. Most weapons you would find were normal, and it used to be perfectly functional item quality, as whites could be better than old greens. It was also used for usable non-weapon non-magical items, like keys, bread, etc. And other color simply meant magic. Item was magical, so it got colored aura. Then those auras got extended and divided into more colors, but that's for another story.
    Point is - there was specific purpose to whites/greys, and that purpose was different from telling player quality of loot.

Nowadays in mmo, it's all color code does - determines stats, and thus quality of loot. And for that reason, it's valid decision to scrap white and gray gear quality, as they rarely appear outside very early game. I mean, they could be created for each level of gameplay, but that would be only flavour thing, not something necessary.

As for green-blue-purple argument, thye are all needed, especially when green is your lowest quality. Most quests, most drops, give greens, that is their purpose. You are given plenty of them, but rarely they are better than what you have, but thanks to their numbers you'll find something good anyway once in a while. Blues are designed as 'better reward', for things that are harder than everyday stuff. Group quests or dungeons. This is theirs own sepcific purpose. And purples, purples are currently everything harder. Raids. Harder versions of dungeons. Pvp rewards(because why quality of pve would be better than pvp) Also it's own purpose.

But thanks to that, and thanks to 'usual' difference in power between blue and purple, gear quality gets nonexistent at endgame, there is only one quality and that's it. And this is where extra colors come in. Give back gear quality to elder game, and also allow different solo/group/raid elder game gearing, without introducing load of new sub-tiers with each raid/new top gear tier. It allows to make gear quality something that exists also at elder game, not only during leveling.

While it could also be done by making just greens basic raid drops, that would not only be lot more confusing than 2 new colors, but also lot less satysfying. Also, probably would either require huge jump in item level between leveling and raiding, or would entirely eliminate pre-raiding gearup, as leveling gear would be close to raid gear.
  10. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

This says that there is only 1 new type of gear label being added in, because you can remove the one for their "Thunderfury's", which he said they will have in the game at some point, he's just not sure when.

So you can look at his list like this -

Green - same as other games
    Blue - same as other games
    Purple - same as other games
    Orange - Thunderfury - same as other games
    Red - we dont know what this is yet.

So in my view there is only 1 type of gear/color that we can speculate on, is this a crafting color, a solo gear color, or some other thing. It may also end up that Red is the Thunderfury and Orange is the gear item we dont know, but the result is the same where 4 items are what we are used to, and only 1 item type is new.
  11. Steaks

Steaks New Cupcake

Gray, and by extension whites, create contrast between your items and the "items of the world". When you open a corpse, chest etc and see there's nothing, it feels crummy to open every single one. This gives you an incentive to do so. That way, when you get an upgrade in color (green), it feels awesomer than if you had just found a "white" on a corpse out of like 100 random lootings.

I disagree with doing away with trash items completely.
    Sapien likes this.
  12. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

:roflamo:
    Well yeh! Just scrap down everything that adds flavour to the game, I wish you good luck selling a game like that ;) Seems to you it's a valid decision to scrap all those away.....yup very valid....destroying a game = always a valid reason....
    :roflamo::laugh::roflamo::p

You good sir! You made my evening just a bit better :up: Good job! And keep the jokes comming!
  13. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Am i the only one who sees grays and whites as profit? I mean you still pick that stuff up as vendor trash and it is often what gets you going for early profit.
    Sapien, Mukesh, Sqwarsh and 1 other person like this.
  14. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Us Hordies must stick together! I totally agree :p
    Just read my post just above yours ;) No way I would want them to disappear!
  15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I don't think you are the only one, where do you get the impression people don't? I'm sure those will still be around for just that reason and for the uses Borz indicated.
  16. Skippy

just had a real quick skim over the thread and didn't see anyone mention them as profit :p if someone did i guess i just made a fool of myself :p
    Extatica likes this.
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I can second this :up:

(sorry but i'm just in such mood to do these kind of things now)
  18. Skippy

It's ok, you're forgiven. After all you do make a fool of yourself every time you post something, with that Vermin in your sig and all....
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

It's the first Dominion GIF. on this site! Just feel special you've seen the awesome creative side of the Dominion :up:
  20. Skippy

You mean the one you had before and simply cut / pasted your chua on to your already existing sig then added some highlights? :sleep: