1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Global Cooldown

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Leiloni, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

I did some searching and am honestly surprised there is not more discussion about this. I watched a few videos and noticed the massive ugly SWTOR-style global cooldown indicator on the UI. The existence of a GCD is bad enough and the obvious animation on the UI makes it even worse. I've played plenty of games that had them and recently a lot that don't do it, and I find I much prefer games that don't do it. The most recent game being TERA, but there are others. In that game every skill has it's own CD, except for your auto attack. I find it a much more creative and fun way to do combat and GCD's were something I hoped games had done away with. Is everyone ok with the idea of a GCD or does anyone hate it as much as I do? Is it too late in the game for them to change something like that?
    Zerdav and Naunet like this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

It can still change after the feedback of the beta testers.

But i must admit they seemed a bit long for my liking, but then again i haven't played so i don't know the feeling of the combat system in it totality.
  3. Dwel

Dwel Cupcake

I'm not a big fan of the "global cooldown" either. Without it, you can "spam" you skills and react a lot faster, though it could be a cause for concern depending on how some abilities function. With it, you're limited to one skill cast per global, which adds an additional layer of depth to the game (mini turn-based rounds), though it slows down gameplay.

Can't say much without knowing how the combat feels however.
  4. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

Not really bothered by Global Cooldowns, as long as they are short enough.

There's reasons for them, and it's not really a massive issue for me as it seems to be with others. I remember a lot of hate for it in SWTOR, but I never got it. Without it combat would have looked ridiculous, and it would have thrown off the class balance.
  5. atom

atom Cupcake-About-Town

1.5s GCD. WoW has it right, just take from their design and move forward.
  6. Leiloni

Well that's the thing though - in games with no GDC, each skill has it's own CD. So you can't actually spam anything because no skill is spammable. You are forced to alternate between stuff. I mean yea you can use a few different skills quickly back to back (keeping in mind that they each have animation times), but you can't use the same skill over and over. That makes for much smoother combat. It also just looks far better than standing around waiting for a GCD because you're busy using another skill, and it's more creative I think. GCD is a cheap and easy way of handling it.
  7. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

I'm just seeing you everywhere Leiloni. But I have to agree with this. Having a GCD can feel clunky if skills don't have long enough animations to fill the gap. Thats what TERA's "GCD" was. You had animation lock, so even if you wanted to use another skill you couldn't until the animation was done (skill canceling aside).

I severely disliked the GCD in RIFT and other games, so I hope they do away with it. But I also wouldn't want it to become spam fest either. We have to take into account the limited skillbar as well. Unlike TERA where classes had a plethora of abilities to go through, WS is only gonna have 9 (correct me if i'm wrong) at a time if memory serves.
  8. Leiloni

Well that's another thing I think they need to change and I posted in a Reddit topic on that issue - http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/1cjz05/tanking_in_wildstar_or_why_the_7_button_mechanic/

Instead of 7 class abilities I think we need at least twice that. You can go read my post there for my full thoughts on it. But as far as the GCD, yes it's a mixture of two things to fix it - longer (and unique, cool-looking) animations for each skill along with a cooldown for each skill you have so none are actually spammable, aside form our auto attack. It would go a really long way in making combat in this game smooth, fun, and really a big selling point. They've already gone a bit towards the action combat type thing with telegraphs, dodges, skill designs, etc. But they need to keep going with that idea fully and get away from the old style tab target ways of doing things, and GCD's are a big part of moving away from that style. There are better ways of doing combat.
  9. Dwel

Dwel Cupcake

Fair point. My only concern is in regards to tying together a lot of "instant spells", essentially firing off 3 instant abilities at the same time. That could be hard to balance maybe. If most of the abilities rely on an animation however, it doesn't run into that issue.
  10. wormed

wormed Cupcake

GCD is a plague. Do not use it.
    Vunak likes this.
  11. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

Lol I like it, straight to the point as usual Wormed
  12. Purple Rose

Purple Rose Cupcake-About-Town

Global CD has a reason.Its not only to prevent spamming of skills but also to prevent specific classes to burst Damage...Like mage or Rogues.

The Global CD also effects the theorycrafting.Having no Global CD make game much more easier cause there are NO rotations and stats change differently.For Healers Global CD is something that is needed to be as closer as possible to the limit but for other classes like tank not nessecery.

I approve the appeance of Global CD.
  13. uchi

uchi Cupcake

I think having a limited set of abilities is better than a full massive skill set. Primarily because then you start dealing with obnoxious keybinds and the focus of your attention shifts to the UI rather than the actual game, which is counter intuitive to all the blinking red lights and on-screen action that WildStar wants to grab your attention with.

Then of course you end up with people buying all sorts of peripherals to gain more ease of access to skills, which makes it unfair in a hilarious kind of way...

With limited skills you focus on creating different builds a-la Guild Wars style. I think it was in TotalBiscuit's last video where they said you had 9 skill slots but 39 skills to choose from. So plenty of variety to try builds out. Stacking classes also doesn't diminish your raid composition since you can have the same classes try different roles. Plus, this actually leaves room for more intricate raid co-operation as everyone is limited in their toolset and communication becomes critical in handling boss mechanics...

Plus, you don't really use 90% of the abilities anyway since they're either really circumstantial or have very long cooldowns.

/off topic
  14. Vunak

Vunak Cupcake-About-Town

Not entirely true. If a system is put in place that takes into account animations (like TERA) you create a very fluid combat system GCD free. As a Sorc in TERA I had to balance a pretty refined rotation to maximize DPS. I use TERA as an example because it is really the only game out that emphasizes movement and boss mechanics/evading like WildStar will.

In a game with a GCD you can create a macro and have it do your rotation for you pretty easy. Not so easy in animation style GCD, because certain skills will have longer CD's and the rotation won't be the same all the time. You may have to skip a certain ability because you just didn't have the time to get it in.

So having single CD's with animations would in fact create a more refined and difficult rotation than a normal GCD system.
  15. Leiloni

You're still thinking in terms of tab target games, though. Go play one of the many action combat or hybrid action combat games and you'll see that combat is entirely different.
  16. Leiloni

Yea sorry for continuing the off topic rant, but I completely agree with you, I just think that 7 or 9 class skills is still far too limited. Go read my full reddit post and you'll see what I mean.
  17. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

I see a lot of "Tera" banging in here, but Tera had animation lock, not GCD. It's the same thing you just can't see it.
  18. Leiloni

Yes, also keeping in mind that combat forces you to move and dodge a lot and worry constantly about proper positioning and aiming. It adds a second layer onto the combat which I really love, but it does end up affecting your "rotation", which often will get messed up because of this, forcing you to do things differently. Also skills in action combat games tend to be designed differently than those in tab target games so this has a big effect on things as well. Classes play a bit differently.
  19. Leiloni

Well not really. In a lot of tab target games, skills have no actual cooldown outside of the global cooldown. In TERA, every skill has an individual cooldown outside of your auto attack (and it's not the only game to do this by the way, just the first one that came to mind). So even without any skill animations, you still can't spam anything back to back. Combat feels entirely different without a GCD system.
    Vunak likes this.
  20. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

TERA also had ways to shorten or even cut off entirely the animation lock to interrupt a spell (and little tricks for a few classes to shorten the lock so you could get back to casting stuff again, such as for zerkers and archers). It may be a similar thing in concept, but it feels significantly different. Combat without a GCD and tied to animations just feels a lot smoother to me.
    Vunak likes this.