1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Global Cooldown

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Leiloni, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Leiloni

Leiloni Cupcake-About-Town

The player was using his basic attack, that mainly returns mana back and does a tiny amount of damage, because he was a newbie and had barely any skills on his bar in a game balanced around having many more than that. But you wanted a newbie video, so I gave you a newbie video. :p It does not however auto attack. Nothing in TERA automatically attacks your target because TERA is a non targeting game. You don't hit anything unless you manually target it with your cross hairs and continue to target it as it moves. Auto attacking would literally be impossible in TERA. Do you even think before you write?

And if you think there's any lack of action in TERA than I don't know what to tell you. Do you really need massive colored telegraphs and cartoony graphics to see when a monster is attacking, when a player is dodging said attacks or gets hit by them? Because TERA is full of the same stuff you see in Wildstar, it's just much more subtle whereas Wildstar is very in your face.

Also Wildstar does have an auto attack as per the April 15th leaked patch notes: http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/m30_patch_notes.php

Anyway you're really getting my post way off topic. I'm really here just to discuss two main things:
    a)Do you like or dislike a GCD system and why
    b)Do people think it's possible to change how Wildstar's current system works

Since you have no interest in discussing which system is better and which you think would work better for Wildstar, please kindly leave this discussion thread.

As for having played both systems I have - I have extensively played both GCD games and games that have alternate methods of controlling the flow of combat (Aion being another example so we can get off the TERA idea) so I think we can all safely discuss those two methods and how we'd prefer to see them implemented in Wildstar.

Or if you want to discuss tab target vs non targeting vs hybrid models, I have extensively played all three. No I have not played Wildstar but they are not wildly different from things already out there.
  2. cecilandblues

cecilandblues Cupcake

I wanted to pull this out, sorry if this further diverts your conversation, because they had a good answer on this patch note in the M30 Q&A thread from Aodz.

Still requires clicky-clicky by the sound of it, and just a stand in for a future improvement.
    Huffle Puff and moneda like this.
  3. Titbiscuit

Titbiscuit Cupcake

I hate GCD. I hope they will remove them or make them thus short it won't affect gameplay much (0.2 sec max?)
  4. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

The only form of limitation I hate with a passion is animation locking (Ranger in Aion for example) where you are stuck in position for the duration and cannot manually break/interrupt the animation at all.
    Anything else I can live with (although anything that allows people to simultaneously trigger their entire skill bars would probably have severe balance implications as mentioned earlier in the thread).
  5. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

These,
    are your fricken words. I am now going to follow Mark Twain’s advice.
  6. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Obviously Leiloni misspoke (or perhaps used the term in a colloquial sense, meaning a basic filler attack). TERA does not have an auto-attack. It doesn't have auto anything.
  7. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

If there is no GCD, ppl will either get macro keyboards or macro abilities for insane 0.01 sec bursts. And the server would die in the process with all the instant traffic.

GCD's is a nessecary evil im afraid, tho i hope addons will make it so we can choose from a wide variety of looks.
  8. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

>_> You haven't read this thread, have you?
  9. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

There is great gameplay to be had with and without a GCD. History has shown that. There are pros and cons to each, but both can be fun and satisfying.

Quite honestly, probably 80% of the people that will play this game don't care, and honestly probably don't even know anyway.

This thread is sort of off-topic honestly, because the combat system is already implemented and something like this isn't going to change at this point! It's a fun theory-crafting discussion, but it has nothing to do with WildStar :)
  10. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

Actually i did, and it was an answer to the OP's "The existence of a GCD is bad enough".
  11. Shaigh

Shaigh Cupcake

Problem is that people can't decide on what global cooldown means and what it does, instead they think that global cooldown is what wow has, and incorrectly say that tera doesn't have one. That's why threads like this one gets confusing.

Its not like WoW is 100% strict of their gcd anyway, there were quite a lot of abilities that could be used outside of gcd and you also have some abilities that puts you under a 1s gcd even though all other abilities has a 1.5s gcd.
  12. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

I want a GCD. The way I want that GCD to be implemented is in the form of an animation, like TERA. Re-reading all these posts it seems like everyone thinks that the people who say they want to use animations instead don't want a GCD. We all, every single person in this thread, thinks there should be a GCD. What we're disagreeing on, honestly don't see why, is how that should be implemented in the game.

Personally, I think the animation locking looks a lot better. It just makes the gameplay look a lot more fluid to always be doing SOMETHING instead of moments of waiting for your skills to be available. If you want to interrupt the animation to move or something, then you stop casting your skill and do no damage (though I thought Rangers in Aion were pretty fun with jump/slide-shotting).
    Naunet likes this.