1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

CG Granok Work-in-Progress Sculpt

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by Clowne, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

[​IMG]
    This is a very rough piece, and it's just in the starting phase. I'll be making a full character later on, slashing a robot enemy in half, but for now I'm just working on the head. I'll be etching it soon, to get those distinctive tribal grooves seen on most Granok so far. I decided to go with a spiked sort of "hair," as I'm collaborating with another artist, and he didn't want to go with a mohawk or no "hair" at all. They'll be sharpened up, as will every other feature, and made more rock-like. Of course this character will be a Warrior, as that's the only class that's been revealed for them so far. I'll continue to update this thread, but eventually I'll work with one of my current clients (I do stuff like this freelance) to get it run through his 3D printer and sent to Carbine as a present.
    Joukehainen, Yakzan, Gray and 2 others like this.
  2. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Nice start! I like art with personality so I wouldn't change it so much that it looks exactly like a Granok. Make it your own. Nice job so far.
  3. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

I'd like to see your work progress :) /watch thread
    Great start.
  4. Teerack

Teerack Cupcake-About-Town

It kind of reminds me of Lord Chaos from Marvel comics >.<
    [​IMG]
  5. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

[​IMG]
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm about to be going out, but here's a new angle. I did about an hour of tweaking just to get the details a bit stronger, and I shortened the ridges on his head. I might scrap them altogether and do a swept ridge, but that's for later. Thickened out the neck and changed his expression. He'll be in the middle of basically a warcry in the final version, cutting a robot in half, so I figured I'd go ahead and rough out the expression.
    Kataryna likes this.
  6. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

That's almost perfect to me! I hope it doesn't change too much from there other than details. Looking really nice.
  7. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

I've adjusted the cheekbones a little, but aside from that it's just detail work from here on out. Biggest hurdle is those tribal etchings, but they won't be too hard. After that, on to the body! You all get to see a naked Granok, or at least my interpretation of one (sans boulders and stalagmite).
  8. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Very cool, looking forward to seeing how it progresses. :)
  9. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

[​IMG]
    Update time! Still needs to have his eyes done and to get the grooves set in (those are proving difficult), but I have the color I want, and he has teeth and a better nose now.
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  10. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Looking good, keep it up! :)
  11. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

[​IMG]
    Well, I kept it up. Aside from some cleanup work to smooth it out and actually drop the polygon count below at least 100,000 (it's currently at 1,082,000 polygons), I'm done with the head. Well, maybe I'll tweak the "hair" to look more like how I want it. But after that, I can finally move on to the body. So coming tomorrow: a naked Granok!
    Sarcan, Dyraele, Black Wolf and 2 others like this.
  12. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

[​IMG]
    Here, have a WTF picture for today. Been busy, and I've decided to skip over the nakedness since he'll be wearing armor. Working on that now, and I had to remove his head to get to the inside of the pauldrons. This came out.
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  13. bitbandit

bitbandit Cupcake-About-Town

nice nice, what software are ya using ?
  14. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

ZBrush 4r5. Still pretty new to it, spent my high school years working in Blender and never really getting anywhere, but I picked up ZBrush to do some work for a 3D printing client, and I absolutely love it. Used to use Sculptris too.

Here's an armor picture for everyone. He's currently stumpy, and I don't have the shoulder straps/collar in for it yet, but it's a big step forward. Also switched to a different material to get more of the soft, "cartoony" shading I want. Please note the the pauldrons will get larger to accommodate his arms (and in the current version, after that screen cap, they already are).
    [​IMG]
  15. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

It's looking good man and you've only been at this for like a few days right? :)
  16. bitbandit

can't wait to see the finished deal! i might have to take a spin at it ;3 though.. i tend to be much better at mechanical things that organic :C
  17. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

Thanks! Yeah, been taking an hour or three each day to work on this when I can, though I accomplished nothing yesterday. I've also been learning my software in the process (finally found the documentation for it instead of the tutorials that leave massive gaps in information), so if I were to sit down and try this again in one day, it would probably only take about four or five hours to knock it out. Anyway, I'll be putting some arms and legs on him tomorrow, hopefully, then doing some detailing on the armor. After that, I have some body detailing to do (like scratches or blemishes on his face) and a sword to make, then rigging. He'll be fit for posing after that, and I hope to do two poses: one where he's standing with his sword over his shoulder, grinning proudly, and one where he's slicing a robot in half (my original idea). I may also recycle parts of this model to provide visual context for the Warden idea I posted elsewhere.

Ah, what software do you use?
  18. bitbandit

i started learning max, then my instructor decided to switch to maya :| And since the lovely folks behind pell grants wont pay for a class that has been passed, i have to learn maya on my own, and be ready for advanced modeling & animation come the fall :|
  19. Clowne

Clowne Cupcake

Yeesh. Only suggestion I really have for you is to try some of Digital Tutors' free stuff, and pay for a subscription if you need more help. I have no formal training myself and am presently trying to earn some money to get back in since they dropped my scholarships. Still, after learning this stuff on my own, I'm considering staying out of school for a little while and continuing to work freelance.
  20. bitbandit

Oh im progressing through it fairly well, i just lean towards max a bit is all :3