1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Guild/clan/cabal/cult/crew... a rose of so many names is still a rose

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by SiegaPlays, Jul 11, 2012.

1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Whatever the name, I expect there will be some sort of guild structure in WildStar.

So I have 3 questions for everyone.

1. What of the game(s), you know, has the strongest guild tools and what made them stand out and special?

2. What are you looking for in a guild?

3. What do you bring to a guild?

My response would be:

Guild chats are common to all.

EQ2 for cross alignment guilding.
    EQ2 for guild halls and guild levelling perks in the form of amenities for the guild hall, flexible ranking/access system. Rift and WoW for guild levelling perks. EQ2 all-information roster + WoW for crafting recipies on the roster.

The Secret World for single person made cabals - people are going to make tons of small guilds anyway, might as well make it easy. I usually make a guild on an alt for extra banking + checking out the guild admin features to the point of understanding them better than the leaders in my main guild :p
    Or alternatively make it a good deal harder requiring finishing group content with the people destined for the guild.

EQ1 for fellowships. The alternative to a regular guild for small friends groups for adventuring.
    Guild objectives with both solo, group and multigroup/raid play in EQ2/WoW/Rift.

Still haven't seen a roster, that automatically pile alts under main.
    Still haven't seen ingame forums
    Fellowship objectives could be cool too.

Even though it was not the game itself, but Lootmaster addon in WoW was genius for raiding and keeping a fair EPGP system.

Grouping to some degree, some raiding/company for pugging, ingame smalltalk, shop/class talk, craft diversity, mature language. A functional website (if there is no ingame equivalent, and there never is :p), written guild rules/guidelines and objectives that the leadership abide to without sudden/frequent unannounced changes or preferential disparities. Transparent reward system for those participating in guild events.

Not just a huge memberlist with no common nominator besides everyone wants "something" out of the game/guild. Those >800 member guilds with nothing in common besides having game accounts and chars on the same faction is not my thing, migth as well stick to general chat instead :p

The curticy of equality and respect -- especially when I have something to add on a topic that is in my area of expertice.

Leadership that listen, who does not play the favor game, does not misrepresent facts and can cut through the BS if members are not able to settle something between themselves.

Average to decent player, allround crafter/pvp'er/pve'er/explorer/collector/achievement ho. I do try to stay on top with changes in my chosen class, and RPG is in my opinion about developing my character as far as I can with the time and oppotunities, I have, while having fun doing it, preferably with people I know or would like to know (the no jerks rule).

What is good for the guild (objectives, changes, morale) comes before what is good for me personally.

I do not grief people, who prefer to move out of a guild, because their objectives does not/no longer coincide with the guilds. I assume, I am allowed the same curticy, if one day the guild objectives change for something incompatible with my playstyle and expectations or real life change my way of playing.
  2. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I really enjoyed the Guild system in Warhammer Online - having a common goal for the guild to work towards gave a real sense of achievement, and the "reserve a logo" function was great as it meant no duplicates.

Although, the guild logo system from Star Trek Online would be a better implementation of that I feel - more customisable.
  3. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I've never bothered thinking about the inner workings of a guild before, mostly using them as a chat-room and convienient pool of decent players to group with...

That's pretty much all i really want out of a guild. A decent group of people to chat and play alongside.
  4. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

1. What of the game(s), you know, has the strongest guild tools and what made them stand out and special?

WoW was the only game where I was a huge part of a raiding guild. SWTOR I was the guild leader for my guild, but we only beat Hard Mode EV before we lost all of our raiders. I like being a part of a greater goal, like Zap said. It's really hard for me to say what game I've played had the strongest guild tools because until SWTOR, I didn't raid in an MMO as an officer. Guild banks are a must and I liked that you could "add a tax" to looting money in Rift. A small % of the money that the members looted was put into the guild bank. It actually was a decent chunk of change that members didn't even notice.

I want a group of similar minded people that I can enjoy hanging out with while attempting the hardest content in the game. By similar minded, I mean people who don't show up 50 minutes late to a guild event. I'm looking for people who are willing to work as hard as I do while having fun. A guild is a community of players and the players should drive it. That means that it's up to the officers/leaders to determine the guild culture and make sure it stays that way.

I bring a willingness to work my hardest at whatever I started out as. I was the best Scoundrel on my server when I played SW:TOR and was working towards being the main tank when I played WoW. I bring a laid back attitude that isn't lazy while attempting to foster friendships with members. Other than that? I'm more often than not willing to switch professions or even characters if it means helping the guild out. I think of a guild like a basketball team (I played a lot in high school) and as such, the whole should be greater than the sum of the parts.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  5. Rock

Rock New Cupcake

Well I run a multi-gaming guild (Not for Wildstar...yet) and I have found different games have some really great ideas..

Guild chat is a given. It's a must have.

I also like Rifts Guild bonuses (I know lots of games do this).

One thing that I'm liking about the Guild Wars 2 guild set up is the represent function. I could actually play in more than one guild but only represent one guild, get points for everyone that represents and unlock bonuses.

SWTOR has a tiered guild bank which is also, I feel, a necessity. The ability to make a general public tab and a officer tab for instance.

Included in the guild bank the ability for members to donate or even a tax that can be turned on and off as needed. As we all know guilds cost money to get things for their members, well in most games anyway.

Ok I got off track...

I want a casual and fun atmosphere. No pressure to be somewhere @ the same time every night to raid. I want to experience the game at my speed and my play times and above all to have fun. I want a guild that understands that real life comes first.

I bring leadership, a casual outlook on life and gaming, and treat people with the respect they deserve. I bring ambition and do everything possible to help people in the guild and the guild itself even at my own expense at times. I bring years of experience to the guild as an avid gamer.
  6. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I'll skip answering the questions and focus more on only the first one. The games I played had really bad guild features. I think WoW had the best ones of the ones I played and only after 7 years of development. I get the feeling that most guild features are an afterthought at best. While I think it is one of the more important ones.

One thing I like to see is more room to put information in for your members. All we get is a Message of the Day and you can barely write a single sentence in it. I want a small message board kind of feature. It doesn't have to be a full fledged forum, but at least some room to write some decent messages and information in. It would limit the need of a website, which most members don't care about. In my experience they almost never visit it. Some way to share news with the server would be nice too. It's basically free advertising if people searching for a guild can read it.
  7. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Tiered guild bank, ditto

Guild perks, such as #% bonus gold on looting goes into the guild coffer is nice, since it means not taking it or expecting it from the guild members own pockets.

WoW and EQ2 are the games I find have the best guild window features.

EQ 2 have multiple tabs, the first one show how many character/accounts are represented in guild, recent event news and the motd shows with multiple lines. The roster has sorting by any level (adventuring and crafting), adventuring level, crafting level. There is public note and officer note. The guild ranking tab is where the guild leader set what rank that can do which things concerning the guild. The recruitment tab makes it possible to post what sort of members the guild is looking for, what category of guild it is (casual, hardcore, the inmates are running the asylum etc., minimum character level required, if the guild offers newbie help, and every recruiter in guild can set an online message, those looking for guild can see.

EQ2 roster also have a point column that can be used for anything with a number, like dkp, teamnumber, rolenumber, mains/alt number, anything really, that the guild leader find usefull to be able to sort by.

Maybe it could be made to look more sexy, but it has a lot of information just going through the tabs, without having to open sub windows to see notes etc, which I find annoying.

Only thing lacking is what WoW has with profession list including opening recipy book.

I am a little curious as to how Vanguard solves guild window, but finding an English speaking guild on Halgar with active officers is hard :p
    Rock likes this.
  8. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

There are some decent guild tools here and there I guess, none of them are that great. I guess the only thing I want to add here is the there should be a guild library in addition to the guild bank. This would be a repository where you could share items that can be perused by other members but only retrieved by the one who donated to the library or by the guild leader. This would mostly be for books/notes/letters found around the world for others to read or to put notes in from the guild leader, like message of the day, etc.

Also, I would like to see automatic logging of who made deposits/withdrawals with a summary page. That way you can see, by member, how much they took out and how much they put in on one summarized line and if you have a problem with what they are doing go into the details page to see what they took or put in. Addtionally, if someone is not behaving nicely or quits the guild, the ability to turn on/off access with the option of a time limit and amount, like restricting access for a week or only allowing so many withdrawals or deposits per week.

I am pretty laid back and like a guild with the same attitude. I like planned activities but not every day or even every week. I am currently in a guild that I played SWOTR with until I quit the game. We had an event about once a month called the clone army where we all had the exact char build and we would go around getting all the datacrons and doing flashpoints. We would then split up and get to the correct level for the next event. It was a blast and ran very well. I love those types of things.

I will donate the shirt off my back, even if it leaves me nothing, to help the guild. When I craft things I think of guild first and never take things from the bank to benefit myself unless it is something someone is personally giving to me. I show up to events on time. I am laid back and willing to do anything for fun.
  9. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

1. The only real experience I have had with guild tools is in WoW. I found then adequate but nothing more.

2. Looking for a smaller close knit guild that is dedicated to end game content but isn't looking for server firsts and is willing to take a week off from raiding once and awhile.

3. Charitable, Punctual, level headed and always willing to lend a hand. I bring stability and a good nature to every group I have played with.
  10. snappyllama

snappyllama Cupcake

1. I'll chime in with needing good guild management tools:
    • A guild bank with configurable privileges and good history logs
    • Auto-tax to stuff those coffers
    • Notation-friendly interface to let the officers keep track of folks and their alts along
    • Calendaring functionality for when it comes time to herd the kitties
    • Perks to keep folks interested in staying within a guild (leveling bonuses and the like) along with incentives to not guild hop (having to build rep with a guild or being prevented from joining another guild for a certain period)
    • It would be nice to have an easy way to handle recruitment... guild matching services, searchable guild history
    2. Looking for a smaller close-knit group that loves to raid, laughs more than curses and is focused on the joy of killing pixels more than the joy of wearing pixels. I prefer a guild that skews older and has age restrictions... I don't like having to avoid using colorful names in vent when someone ganks me. As far as scheduling goes, allocating a couple of nights a week makes the most sense for me.

3. I'm a smidgen goofy, play waaay more than I should, get along with most anyone, and am happy to help people out with leveling, crafting, and slaughtered recitations of lore.