1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Hardcore Servers Plea!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Serah Wint, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Alexai

Alexai Cupcake

One: Semantics. I feel like we've already been over this in other posters, but point being that most players perception of 'hardcore' is not what you're asking for here.

Two: Is any of this really that fun for the majority of players? So long as the server only LFG options are available, I don't think there's anything to complain about. My major irritation with WoW's LFG was that there wasn't a way for me to connect with my server any more past trade chat. With this implementation you can focus on just playing with those from your server if you want a more "classic" MMO style experience, or if you just want a quick dip in a dungeon you can uncheck that box and get a quick queue.

If Carbine wanted to be super awesome they'd include the server only PvP option, but we don't know much about that stuff yet. Just wait and see.
  2. Nekofest

Nekofest Cupcake-About-Town

Dear OP,

I actually want to play with other people in a MMO.
  3. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> Please try to keep the discussion on-topic and civil. Attacking the OP because you disagree with the poster or the semantics only leads to madness. </Mod Monocle>
    Arawulf likes this.
  4. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

I would prefer they simply reward groups that are formed naturally more than groups that use the dungeon finder. Warcraft gave convenience and bonuses to their dungeon finder and removed any and all incentive from forming a natural group. Simply let the dungeon finder's draw be the convenience and give the bonus XP/Damage/Healing/Health buffs to natural groups.
  5. Serah Wint

Serah Wint New Cupcake

I think it ultimately comes down to the question: Is it practical, and will a server function on its own?

Problems that might arise from this type of server is a lack of players "mid-game". Something that could lead to problems when trying to set up a party to explore a dungeon.
    There are ways of handling this however.

A mechanic that would allow high-level players to participate in lower level gameplay.
    There are two primary ways you can handle this, as i see it.
    1. Downgrade the character in power.
    2. Incentivise participation of high level players.

Exacly how this would work in detail, is something the developers has to iron out in a beta i think.

Ultimately it depends on how many players that populate any given server. Something we need a developer to answer (hint hint ;) )
  6. Arawulf

Arawulf Owner of WildStarFans.net

While I'm not opposed to different servers featuring various rulesets, and I completely understand the sentiment in the original post, it's clear that a server with 'less features' it is highly unlikely that this would ever happen for WildStar. I'll explain why:

In the same community discussion that featured concerns about cross-server LFG tools was also a strain of opinions that said they didn't like ANY LFG tools. After listening to the community, the compromise was to allow people to disable cross-server functionality. There was no mention or even an inkling of an entirely different server with a different functionality.

To summarize, the fact is that every server will have LFG functionality and the player is in charge of whether or not they use it. Fortunately the LFG tool won't be the only way to get groups and players are free to choose for themselves as to whether or not they use it.

As far as responses, I would suggest we be careful on shooting down new or different ideas. I'm glad the OP posted their thoughts and hopefully this will continue to be a healthy discussion.
  7. Glacius

Glacius Cupcake-About-Town

It all goes back to supporting a community. I think that a server with those features would be great but I'm unsure as to how successful one would actually be. I think that having those two types, and also PvE and PvP servers, really splits the playerbase. Even though I'm more 'Hardcore' I play with friends who are more on the casual side and I feel that splitting players based on preferences isn't a good idea despite disagreeing with xserver lfd and other features like that.

Also, people do what's most convenient for them. We'd probably have that niche of players that really enjoyed those hardcore features back in the day but overall I fear that it would inhibit the longevity of the game. Carbine is promising a ridiculous amount of content for every type of player and I am concerned about how sustainable it is if Wildstar isn't the next big thing. Can they really continue to pump out content for solo players, small group players, and hardcore raiders on a monthly basis? I hope they can and I hope that Wildstar is very successful but as of right now it sounds very idealistic and I think that this is the kind of thing they are going to focus on during beta; it would be catastrophic if they release wildstar and the elder game doesn't hold up as they plan.
  8. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

I don't mind multiple server rule sets if the game's population can support it.

Personally, when I opened this thread seeing hardcore server, I was thinking more along the lines of a Free for All or Perma Death server. This is not a server type I would ever spend a significant amount of time on, but in DAOC it was always fun to log in to blow off steam or kill time before a guild event.

I will use the LFG tool, and with my weekday play time falling between 10pm-2am pst, it benefits me greatly.
  9. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Er, yes.

Question answered.
  10. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

You lost me at "before the crappy expansions!"

Like, I'm honestly at a lose trying to figure out what that has to do with "fostering a better community!"

Seriously, people like you use the word "community" waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Better pvp "community"! Better raid "community"!

After reading through almost 20 threads like this one, absolutely pitifully bemoaning how "bad" "communities" have become, I've had a sort of...eureka moment.

You don't want a "better" "community", you just want to be surrounded by people like you. Be it for better or worse. And you know what, if you want that, good for you. Join a guild. Join a circle. Fill your friends list to the brim with friends like you. But don't pretend like it's Wildstar's job to do that for you.

That's what communication and socializing is for.
    SteveDiggler24 and Rumze like this.
  11. John

John "That" Cupcake

I would love to see servers that do not use x-realm for dungeons, that would be awesome.

Personally I don't think the home server check box is going to solve anything. Que times will almost certainly be longer than the x-realm option, and ultimately players will do what they always do: take the path of least resistance to reach the goal.

As long as the option for that shelter of anonymity still exists in x-realm, I don't see how those 'server ideals' of accountability and personal reputation will matter. Players who want to be ass hats will simply turn to x-realm to do that, and the remaining population will be left with even longer home-server ques that (in a worst case scenario but not necessarily and unlikely one) would force them into using the x-realm option as well for time reasons.
  12. SteveDiggler24

SteveDiggler24 Cupcake-About-Town

What if the LFG function filled groups with those from the same server as a priority, and only used x-realm in the event that the group could not be filled with what was available?

Personally, I would use the server-only queue function with PvP be it Arenas/Battlegrounds/Etc much, much more than I would for dungeons. My personal "community" consists of my guild, other guilds with common interests/communication with my own guild, & the individual players that I have come across in my journey that I had pleasant experiences with, be it socially or skill-wise. If these players aren't online or available for group content, then a LFG feature eliminates the wait or time spent with whispers or general advertisements trying to put something together myself. It's a huge benefit for me, considering my usual play time (9:30pm - ~2:00am PST), weekend commitments, and real life responsibilities.

With PvP, same-server rivalries between guilds and individual players is such an important aspect of a PVP MMORPG. War Plots has so much potential for Guild v Guild combat, and the introduction of "rivalries" shouldn't start in elder game. The arena/battleground combat can spill over into World PvP as players become more familiar with their opponents. It's good for the game, and can be great fuel for the Dominion/Exile conflict.
  13. John

John "That" Cupcake

I would absolutely love that but it doesn't sound like theres much chance of same-server PvP happening at this point. I'm definitely rolling on a PvP server, hopefully the community can create their own rivalries in the open world. It'd be awesome if there were certain Settler nodes in the world that the factions were always at war over.
  14. Glacius

Glacius Cupcake-About-Town

Expect me to be out there starting fights anytime I can :)

I'm hoping to roll on the highest-pop pvp server. That's usually where a lot of people go.
  15. Serah Wint

Serah Wint New Cupcake

How about less nittpicking and more reading before posting?
    Your critizism is not applicable to my post.
    It is not about me personally (i hate sitting in ques as well, its not like im a masochist :) ), but i feel i have to take a broader look at what concerns me.
    And this involves mechanics in the game that forms the community.
    Humans are a product of their environment after all!

- Peace