1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Has anyone noticed you still have to pay $60 for Wildstar upfront?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Haellion, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Haellion

Haellion New Cupcake

It's a $60 entry fee to play Wildstar, and even then they'll only give you one month to play, unless you pay for subs (Which personally, I hate and will never do). When it comes to paying for games as an Australian player (So even then I'll probably get charged $80AU for a digital copy of Wildstar), games are ridiculously over priced, so there are more things I consider before paying. My main concern with Wildstar's business model is that there's no longevity with my purchase. If I play Wildstar for 1 month and am unable to pay for CREDD gametime, I feel I would have just wasted $60. Another concern I have is that if I do buy 1 month CREDD gametime, but don't use it and quit for 2 months, it seems I'll have to pay for subs be able to log back on to use the CREDD if I want to revisit. To me, it seems like another money grab. I wouldn't have mind if they had at least given you game time equivalent to the amount you spent just being able to start playing, but only 1 month for $60 feels more than excessive.

There are plenty of discussions about how CREDD won't guarantee you free playing time (Or at the very least, any form of consistency in the amount of time you would have to play to get 1 months game time), so I won't consider it as a means to play the game for free. Even then, it's not free to play - you have to spend $60 to just start playing the damn thing.

Putting monetary value on time for games feels awfully restrictive to me. I feel as though I have to use the time I have lest it goes to waste. The $60 entry fee to playing Wildstar just compounds this feeling even more. I can pay $60 once and get months worth of entertainment on the right type of game (Eg, Company of Heroes 2 and Witcher 2 I've had a blast playing). Better yet, I can revisit those games after I've had a break from them and I wouldn't have had to pay another cent. Same goes with well built free to play games. I've played League of Legends on and off for 3 years and I've spent around $50-60 on micro-transactions. They've provided great value for the money I've spent on them. From what I've seen at this stage, I might not even buy Wildstar with the business model they've presented thus far. The game had better be damn good if it's going to justify a $60 starting point and then a minimum of $15 per month after the first month.

I know I'm speaking as a minority here, as I'm guessing most of the people on this forum have come from WoW or something similar. But hey, what are your thoughts?

TLDR; $60 for 1 months worth of guaranteed time before paying a minimum of $15 per month (CREDD is by nature, inconsistent, so it won't be considered for absolute amounts to be paid)? I don't see good value in that. What do you guys think?
    Xevius, lee sinclair, Nearo and 2 others like this.
  2. deachem

deachem New Cupcake

There was an interview with Gaffer today where he said that you can at least *use* a CREDD that's on your character via the game's website if your game time has lapsed. No guarantees about being able to buy CREDDs from the CX without being in-game, however.
    RedSam777 likes this.
  3. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

I think your comments could have been posted in any of the other numerous threads made today concerning the revenue model.

Or if your concern were more specific to players in your region you could have expanded this thread concerning Oceanic players (hint when searching these forums, choose "more" then search by title) or possibly even contacted a mod to request the creation of a forum for Oceanic topics on this site.

All that being said, no the $60.00 does not bother me. Subtract out the included $15.00 for one month sub and $11.25 (.75 x $15.00, in total for the three one-week friend passes) and you have $33.75 for the physical copy of the game sounds like a decent price to me.

Hopefully the digital download version will cost even less due to savings on materials, shipping, etc.

TL;DR Please check existing threads before creating a new one. Welcome to Wildstar Central, do NOT feed the Chua.

P.S. Do you watch the Mole Australia?
    Malorak likes this.
  4. Novalith

Novalith Cupcake

In my country that's a small fortune...
    RedSam777 and Picobeat like this.
  5. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Where for art though Novalith? Did you mean a small fortune after converting U.S. dollars to local currency or something else?
  6. Isarii

Isarii Cupcake

Is this news? I honestly can't think of a premium non-F2P MMORPG that hasn't charged $60 (or the equivalent at its time) for the box.
    Malorak, Alverad, Treylor and 3 others like this.
  7. Grimnar40k

Grimnar40k Cupcake-About-Town

Here's the perfect solution for you and anyone else that has a problem with paying for a game.

Let's turn things around a bit and tell me what you think.

So I want you to go and gather investors. Let's say you'll need something like oh $200,000,000 to produce a AAA MMO title and about 7 years of hard work, a studio, 200-300 employees, etc. Now when you get finished and the game is just perfect I want you to give it away. Yep, that's right. Absolutely 100% free, no strings attached, no gimmicks, unlimited access to all of the content that you've invested in and worked to produce. No sub fees, no cash shop, no payment model. Let's make it truly the first ever F2P MMO of all time. It will be a HUGE success, I bet you have 10's of millions of players. It will be the greatest game of all time.

How does that sound now that you're in the position of being the company developing and/or producing the game? You've invested 10's of millions of dollars, taken HUGE risks not knowing if you would ever get a return on your investment. Oh wait, nevermind cause you're giving away due all the demand out there for a truly F2P game.

Let me know your conclusion, I'll be waiting to hear from you. Any other fans of F2P or that have complained about B2P or subs please feel free to chime in. And remember, it's your investment.
    Alverad, Livnthedream, Wolvy and 14 others like this.
  8. Isarii

Isarii Cupcake

@Grimnar40k - Oh, I've got one for this:

- Mythic and Camelot Unchained's Mark Jacobs on the Upcoming F2P Apocalypse
    Alverad, ruff_ethereal, Baamz and 4 others like this.
  9. Novalith

Novalith Cupcake

I'm from Argentina.
    As I've mentioned somewhere else, because NCsoft refuses to make simple payment methods available to us, we have to pay EXTRA to them.

It's not only that u$s 60 is a lot here, it's the fact that we'll be forced to pay around u$s 70-90 for the game itself, plus u$s 20-25 for the subscription unless NCsoft ships the game in our zone, as Blizzard did.
    If that's the case (and it has been for NScoft since they've released Lineage II), it will not only mean it's expensive for us because the US Dollar is expensive, it also means we'll be forced to pay MORE to NCsoft to play.
  10. Haellion

Haellion New Cupcake

I mentioned I'm from Australia once and you post a link to a thread about oceanic servers. My post wasn't about the players in my region, it was about the value you get for the price you pay. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear for you.

Clearly we see things in a different light. I wouldn't mind paying $60 for a game knowing that I could jump in and out of it at any time I wished. The thing is, Wildstar is a subscription based game which you are charged for time, not for content. So in that sense, I feel pressured to use the time I get for the money I spend.

Those three 1 week trials are likely there to get your friends playing. I'm thinking that you have to make a new account when you redeem those cards, so it really doesn't add more value, it means I have to start all over again and play for one week. Even if Carbine were generous and that wasn't the case, then;

I would agree $33.75 for a physical copy of the game isn't bad. But then again, it's a physical copy of the game I can't open or use without paying another $15 for a month. I hardly think that's good value.

Company of Heroes 2 costed about $60 in the US. On steam, in Australia, they had the audacity to charge $80AU. Bull<REDACTED>, I bought the game elsewhere for a cheaper price. You'd be surprised the kind of <REDACTED> we deal with purely because we're somewhat accustomed to paying somewhere around $100AU for a AAA title.
  11. CptElendi

CptElendi Cupcake-About-Town

Welcome to MMO !

I think MMO is not a good type of game for you.
  12. Cowboy Cheese

Cowboy Cheese New Cupcake

The other games you mentioned wouldn't work with subscriptions because they're not MMOs. You're comparing apples to oranges to zucchinis.
    Isarii likes this.
  13. Novalith

Novalith Cupcake

It happens to you guys too? That's awful...

What I dislike about this kind of payment model, is that it discriminates non-US/EU customers, forcing them to pay EVEN MORE from the game than the actual price. I share your concern, because I have to face it too.

Except from Blizzard. Their games are very adequately priced here, very easy to pay.
  14. Haellion

Haellion New Cupcake

With those boxes you pay once and it's over, play it whenever you want. Same case with GW2, which I bought. Payed upfront, played it whenever I want. In Wildstar, you pay $60 for the box, then to keep playing you pay $15 per month after the first month. There's a difference.

If you agree that GW2 is an MMO then you've just shot yourself in the leg. $60-70 upfront, play it whenever you like.
    Nearo and Nayukhuut`Chet like this.
  15. Tribe

Tribe Well-Known Cupcake

Is it any cheaper for you to purchase time cards online, from 3rd party sites? I assume digital downloads of the game are region locked. But I wonder if a box copy could be shipped to Argentina after being purchased in the states with dollars. Problems like that would be run into by international travelers all the time.... Just a thought.

Eat some embutidos for me. Asado = muy delicioso.
    Isarii likes this.
  16. Isarii

Isarii Cupcake

Ah, it seems this is actually news to you. I'm sorry, but Guild Wars 2 was an unusual circumstance, and just based on their pitiful post-release content delivery so far, a failed one that did not work as an MMO.

Virtually every other major MMO has launched with a full box price and a subscription - WoW, Age of Conan, Rift, Warhammer, EVE, Tera, The Secret World - I could just list these off for days.

There are F2P options out there, and they may be worth pursuing if you through some miraculous form of poverty cannot afford $15 a month - but you should be aware that just like GW2, those games are usually going to be pretty terrible.
    Cowboy Cheese likes this.
  17. Novalith

Novalith Cupcake

Time cards are not sold to us.
    Shipping costs are around u$s 25-35, so adding that to the boxed copy isn't a solution.

The only way to solve it is doing what Blizzard did. They put the game in our shelves and we bought them off happily. WoW is officially sold here, through proper payment methods (they even have support from us) and they've taken our latencies into account.

NCsoft recently did the opposite, made our latencies worse in some games to throw us off.

I wouldn't mind the payment model if it weren't from this fact... that we're going to get screwed, money-wise, latency-wise.

I don't know what to say.
  18. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Cupcake

$60 bucks is pretty Average out of the box and pretty reasonable considering all the money they have spent to develop a game for us. Do you want it free or what? I also like subscriptions if it means a dedicated staff is always working to fix bugs balancing and update content. I get a tad frustrated with the demands on developers to I guess do all this work and not expect to be rewarded at all for the countless hours spent writing coding painting and planning an enormous world for us to play in. They have also confirmed it will be subscription I believe. I saw an article on IGN about it. But they also stated that if you play the game enough you can earn enough credits in game to pay for your subscription using the in game economy. WOW isn't that nice.
    ruff_ethereal, Kash, Kataryna and 2 others like this.
  19. Cowboy Cheese

Cowboy Cheese New Cupcake

You never mentioned GW2. Just Company of Heros 2, Witcher 2, and LoL. (Unless I missed it somewhere)
  20. Grimnar40k

Grimnar40k Cupcake-About-Town

These arguments just don't work... Here's why.

So let's say you buy the game for $60 and there's no subscription fee, ever. Well why is Carbine obligated to provide you updates? They've already spent 7 years and almost 200 million dollars to then sell you the game for $60. But we both know that if people don't get new content in an MMO they will whine and moan about how bad of a company Carbine is and how bad of a game Wildstar is and just quit playing.

Obviously these games are designed from the ground up to hopefully be around for years and years after release, why else would they invest sooooo much to just sell the game for $60 and be done with it? So they commit to continued content development, which Carbine has already stated as of the time of all the information being released that they will have monthly content cycles.

So then I ask you how the hell do they fund this development? I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to type this out cause honestly it's just honest damn common sense.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Carbine spends 10s of millions, sells game for $60, they continue to develop content in monthly cycles, they charge $15 a month for us to play it. If there's not enough new content for you then quit paying and quit playing it... They're not forcing you. Go, move on, find the next great MMO.

There is no hidden motive to just take all your money for nothing. It's a free market. If the service they're providing isn't worth $15 then people won't pay it. Then they won't have a company, simple as that. They have absolutely no interest in screwing people out of their hard earned money, trust me. It's quite the opposite. They want to bust ass to provide us with the absolute best gaming experience on the market so we tell everyone about it and we all gladly throw our $15 at them every month because we're all having so much damn fun. This way we all win. They make money and run their business, and we get the MMO we've all been waiting for.