1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Has anyone noticed you still have to pay $60 for Wildstar upfront?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Haellion, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

I remember it being $60 at release.

If they nerf your class or skill tree to the ground, then it was overpowered, and you should get used to playing with a balanced class instead of being able to roflstomp people because of your class and not your skill.
    Rumze, Kataryna and Sonntam like this.
  2. Novalith

Novalith Cupcake

I hope there's a free trial down the line as well.

Yes, I've heard about the 'codes' you get by buying a boxed copy to make your friends try the game (and that's very neat). Recruit-a-friend programs work wonderfully.

Carbine is making an interesting gamble with Wildstar's business model. I hope they succeed.
  3. Zondeel

Zondeel Cupcake

But sometimes nerfs simply break a class. I remember a friend complaining about how Death Knights used to be really great but "PvP babies" complaining destroyed it. I wasn't playing WoW during that time though so I don't know much about it.
  4. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

They could take on 2 VS 1 and win in arenas... how's that something that doesn't need fixing?
    Kataryna and Sonntam like this.
  5. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

In my life time i have bought more untested than tested games.

Zelda,Mario,Metroid,Unreal Tournament, Final Fantasy III , Pitfall , Doom, Quake, Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft, Deus Ex, WoW , and i could keep going with this list for hours.

the games i regret buying without testisng are so few, far and in betwen that i cant even bother to remember them.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The power of the masses :D

First playing with an OP class, then whining about the nerfs seeing all those they've beaten now beat them instead.
    Those people cannot win with balanced classes, and will therefore whine that that class is UP......

Even if a game is well balanced, some people will never say it's balanced....for they just suck if they ain't boosted by a OP class ;)

A class won't ''break'' that easily in a game, and even if a nerf breaks it then you can expect a boost the next patch once again.
    Kataryna likes this.
  7. Chaii

Chaii Cupcake

OP complains because of $60 bucks for a fulltime hobby.
    OP must be a troll.
  8. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Hopefully WS looks at numbers to see if it needs balancing instead of going by the "feel" of the playerbase.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Yup.....Although I do have good hopes for that ;)

But one of the best ''examples'' for this will be the LOL-community :D No matter if a champ get's balanced people will still say ''these nerfs are not needed, now he's useless'' etc. etc.
    It happens in almost every gae, but that community is one of the worst i've ever seen in doing that :p Hence the reason i'm not on any LOL fora :coffee:

Let's not only hope the designers will look at the numbers but the WS community aswell! :up: Let us look at the facts, and not the feeling!
    Rumze likes this.
  10. BonusStage

Yup, my DK was my main, and i can atest to that, the class war broken for quite some while.

not to mention how broken Paladins became aswell, Blizzard might get a lot of hate from nerfing, but those nerfs were mandatory.
    Vyver, BlindSear and Kataryna like this.
  11. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

why do i keep liking BonusStage, AcidBaron and BlindSear in this thread??? i don't like liking you guys!! i disagree with lots of points you guys make in so many other threads, but this one? yea - i :inlove: you three! GAH!
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

So... based on the feedback of multiple people it sounds like your friend was the "PvP baby" and not the entire rest of the community. DK's were imbalanced and OP, that's why they got nerfed, and they were still really good and sought after after the nerf.
  13. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I've lost my hope. I have some imput to give to this matter but it would be useless.

Like they say; you can lead the horse to the water but you can not..
    Livnthedream likes this.
  14. binzer

binzer Cupcake

It completely boggles my mind that people think $60 is a lot for any mmo, nevermind one like Wildstar that has been in development for 8 years and provides content for pretty much every type of player.

Think of what else you can buy for $60. A pair of jeans? Dinner and a movie with a date? A regular console game that cost significantly less money and time to develop? $60 seems like a complete bargain to me, and whenever I think about the work that goes into every little detail, I first feel ill at the sheer workload, but then I am awestruck that society is at a point where a product resulting from so much effort is obtainable at so little cost.

Yes, there's a sub fee on top of that (unless you decide to play to pay) but I always consider the box price as payment for the game in its current state. I consider my subscription to be funding for future development, balance, and upkeep.

It does bother me that digital downloads aren't cheaper (since they save money) but I understand that it would be death for retailers if they did it any other way. There's not really anything to be done about it, so I try to be positive and just think that digitally downloading means more money for Carbine (which is good for the game!).

I'm actually hoping that there's a CE with an art book, at which point I'll start saving so I can pay even more ;)
  15. BonusStage

If you try you might suceed, if you dont...
  16. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

I understand why they made this decision, I mean how dumb would they feel if you only had to pay for the box...the game becomes huge...and then they realize, "dang we coulda asked for a sub to add more content" worse case scenario subs don't work, they make back their initial investment with the box and a few months of sub money, then switch to a different model. I'm willing to pay what they are asking for I just wish they could release it this year =/ sigh..
  17. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I just noticed that when it is this kind of a big reveal, that stirs people's emotions you'd have more luck debating with a rock than the people on these forums. There is so many absolutely retarded posts with horrible reasoning posted today. Posts people would never send if they actually thought two minutes what they want to say. As the subject is such of a flammable one, people tend to say the first thing that comes in their minds instead of sitting down for a moment and thinking the things trough analytically.

"There is a beast in every man, and it stirs when you reveal the business model of his favourite game."

-Jorah Mormont @ Wildstar.
  18. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

*Patiently waits for Kat to push him into SUPER cupcake mode*
    Keep your eye on the prize!
    Livnthedream likes this.
  19. Vmoped

Vmoped New Cupcake

I say if the entry price is a barrier to entry, then just wait for the inevitable price drop. I personally prefer their payment model based on my experience with f2p communities in comparison to games that chose the same route as Wildstar. The beauty of it all is we have the choice to either support, or not to support Carbine's decision with our wallets.

Cheers!
  20. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Honestly I think F2P spoiled a lot of people, out the few legitimate concerns in this thread most people argument amounted to "I don't want to pay if I end up not liking the game" or simply doesn't want to pay for service. Ever heard the words caveat emptor. We live in a time where you can do a ton of research before buying hell you can wait it out and see of the game succeeds or fails. Its not all snake oil salesmen in these times.

As for the person who said GW2 is great (its not) having a cash shop to pay the bills makes the devs focus more on the cash shop than content and that doesn't sell with me. Relying on the whales to pay the game for you is selfish. I'm like anyone else I would love to not have to pay a dime on anything and I honestly think 15 bucks a month is a little pricey (but not horrendous kinda wish it could be a little lower) but there hasn't been any better alternatives in business models that actually work in the Long Term.

I don't know of a F2P mmo that could last as long as wow and keep a steady amount of dedicated players and thats the key word they may have a few dedicated raiders in but I doubt thats enough to have the game continue to grow. What I have seen and done is go in play for a few days to weeks disappear and maybe comeback when I'm bored with whatever current crop of games I was playing.Hell I might actually buy something from their cash shop if annoys me enough that I have to buy it (like ui bars thanks SWTOR or bag space RIFT), since most of the time cash shop doesn't have things I'm interested in rather things I need in order to have a better experience, everyone loves to buy but hates to be sold.

And LOL doesn't count as that's a moba with different needs and requirements than an mmo.

As for Wildstar Do I think the whole CREDD thing is lackluster yes, do I think its terrible no.

As for wow original cost was 50 bucks and the collector's edition was 80 bucks but that was in 2004
    and pretty much stay steady in price.
    Sonntam and Rumze like this.