1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Healing: News on how it will work

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Optimisticnerd, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

I've recently been wondering how healing would work in Wildstar. Currently, the only healing classes announced are the Spellslingers and Espers. And I also discovered, there's no place that really gives a basic explanation of "This is how healing will work in Wildstar, this is why it's effing amazing." Though this information does in fact exist, it's scattered all over the place.

Which brings me to this thread. I'm going to be posting everything I can find about healers and how they'll work in Wildstar, in order to help give a basic understanding of how it will work in PVE and PVP without having to go look at over 30+ pages about Wildstar to find information about the subject.

I'll be posting pretty much anything that would help visualize how one would heal in a raid or battle ground setting.

from http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/wildstar-preview-2/

from http://www.mmo-game.eu/wildstar-q-and-a-session-with-jeremy-gaffney/

From http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/slap-a-rocket-on-a-pig-wildstars-modding-and-pgc-community/

So to summarize the information in what I've posted:
    - Healing will be working majorly on AOE telegraph spells
    - There will be single-target heals, however it will be more efficient to use AOE telegraph spells
    - You will have to communicate to people being healed to stand in your telegraph for heals
    - DPS and Tanks will also need to pay attention, and get into your heals during raids/BGs
    - Telegraphs will help lessen the communication required to get raid members to stand in AOE heals

I hope this helps anyone who was wondering about healing. I however couldn't find any information on mana regen... Do feel free to contribute.

Edit: Keep in mind that some information in that summary is speculation based on what I have read. Also, Carbine is a company that can and will change their system, so nothing is set in stone... Just covering my ass in-case I'm wrong about something.
    Oziriz, Ascary, Diableblanc and 15 others like this.
  2. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I'm curious how telegraph heals will work in a PvP environment the most I think. I also wonder how long you have to stand still before the heal goes off if you also have to wait a few seconds while the telegraph appears on the ground prior to the heal going out.

Can't wait to find this stuff out. :)
  3. Optimisticnerd

Jeremy Gaffney said in an interview that it'd work something like this: (Note: My own words) You're in a fight with a Warrior, you're at 25% heal when you see a healer's telegraph on the ground, you run into the telegraph to receive the heal.

I'd imagine that a healer could also work his/her magic with single target heals, as those have also been confirmed (according to an interview)

Edit: I'd also imagine that you'd have to see it in action to really get a grasp of how well that will work out
  4. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

That's about all we know at this point.

Something that I'm really hoping is that tanks and DPS understand and pay atteniton to telegraphs, so as to receive the heals trying to be directed toward them rather than running around and around like chickens with their heads cut off. XD I can just see tanks doing that and then dying, proclaiming,"Nub healer! This healer sux!" (followed by incoherent kiddie internet language).

While telegraphs are really nice to help cut down on time spent typing out what you want to communicate, it also will probably take people some getting used to. This isn't to say I'm not super excited about telegraphs! Just as someone who typically rolls healers, it also is a bit scary. ;)
  5. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

Great idea for a thread!
    I'll be honest, AoE heavy healing sounds a little boring to me. I actually enjoy playing whack-a-mole with health bars, making decisions who lives and who dies. I guess the telegraph mechanic might make it more interesting than how healing worked in GW2.

You're absolutely right that we'd have to see it in action to know how it actually works though. It's hard to tell with the limited information we have available. Let's hope for some healer footage soon! :up:
  6. Saza

Saza Cupcake

Thank you for bringing this information together, it is a lot easier to start to imagine healing in the game when you are reading relevant quotes put together on one page.

I like the idea of it being more efficient to react to the positioning of the people you're healing (or them reacting to where healing is going to be placed) and use AoE healing. I dislike healing in many games, but I love supporting in GW2 by placing skills like blinding walls that block projectiles around my fellow players. Reacting to other people's movement and position is an interesting way of helping them.
  7. Optimisticnerd

You probably wouldn't encounter this in a raid scenario though, unless you are running with people who are bad; however, in a system such as Random Dungeon Finder in WoW you'd probably have problems with this all the time. Which scares me. But as you said, it will probably take people some time to get used to it.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  8. Zel

Zel Cupcake

As, primarily, a tank I think this mechanic will be awesome!! No longer will it just be "don't stand in the fire and face the boss away from the raid" but now it's "do those things WHILE staying in the blue glowy bit." Bring it on!!
  9. Noa

Noa Cupcake

I am very curious about this, and I am thankful to you for scourging up all this information. I hope we'll get to see a video of some kind detailing the role and abilities of a healer and what their telegraphs will look like exactly. Though it does seem kinda odd if their trying to lessen communication.. but your having to pay attention to the boss but also your healer if their about to 'telegraph' a AoE heal?
  10. Slyndria

Slyndria Cupcake-About-Town

I will have to see how this plays out. Not sure I will be a fan of this AE healing. Only tinge will tell.
  11. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

If you want to get a feeling on how healing works in this game, I think Tera is a good example. I never played a healer in that game, but as melee dps I needed to step out of the fight constantly to make the healers life easier to heal me. Teamwork is essential with mechanics like this. It will be awesome.
  12. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

From the IGN tour of Deradune video. I took this to mean that, even though your allies' damage abilities may telegraph in blue like your own will, your allies' and maybe even your enemies' heals, buffs and debuffs may be different colors.

Hopefully if that's the case they'll allow for some customization client side for colorblind players.
    Saza and Yakzan like this.
  13. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Hey everyone,

I am not saying what we know so far is bad, but i am concerned, i really like the idea of telegraphs, as long as they will not dominate the whole thing, yes will be nice to position our selves in a way to get heals or even help the healers, but there should certainly be an EFFECTIVE single target healing that will actually matter, in fact, in my opinion if someone playing a healer would like to go with several single target heals (that differ in ways from each other) that should be viable.

And i am also troubled how the telegraphs will be handled in a raiding environment where 40 +the mobs will have their own telegraphs...
  14. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I think telegraphs in PvE content are easy to imagine. Heck we've seen how they work in videos. Now imagine 40 people fighting and the healers have a heal order. The telegraphs pop up in order, in a line, and the healers follow where people are for the most part, but it's also up to the other players to pay attention and move into the heal if they for some reason moved out of it.

The PvP aspect is where I really want to check things out. It's easy to imagine fighting a guy, seeing a teammate's telegraphed heal and running towards it. What I want to know is, can the enemy see it too and knock me out of it or prevent me from getting to it in time? If so... That sure adds an AWESOME dynamic to PvP and allows for a great way to combat healing other than "dog-pile on the healer and hope his friends don't kill you as he heals himself."

What I'm not sure of is how it will feel to be a healer in that situation as well... How long do I have to stand still to cart a heal, for example. How much of a sitting duck do I become? Stuff like THAT I can't wait to test. :)

But as far as raiding and PvE content goes, telegraphs seem pretty simple and straightforward to me. I really like the design of them for this reason. It keeps me active and on my toes constantly, and allows for positioning to be both more important in PvE and ALSO more accurate! Can't wait to play a healer in this kind of environment, as well as a DPS or tank too!

I'm guessing single target heals will be for oh <REDACTED> situations and really drain mana. As in "oh <REDACTED> the main tank didn't dodge that knickknack and he missed my heal and he's now almost dead and he boss is charging SINGLE TARGET HEAL! That fits with the system I think. Many off healers won't need to slot it, but those super dedicated healers will for just in case moments.
  15. Vhiral

Vhiral Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks for putting all this information together!

I really like the idea of telegraph healing, but I am wondering how exciting it will actually be for healers. Just dropping AoE spells and then telling the group to "Get in or die". Doesn't seem like the most exciting thing in the world.
  16. Zinn

Zinn Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks much for the great post. There was a lot of info I did not know. I love the idea of wanting to encourage players to form formations for better healing efficiency.
  17. Nyuklehead

Nyuklehead Cupcake

I've been leveling a priest in Tera for the last couple of weeks and really like the healing mechanics. I have one lock-on heal which is more or less a point and click and there rest are AoEs with various ranges. The AoE heals are the most mana efficient and generate the least threat. It makes for an engaging style of healing where you have to move in and out of danger trying to get the most from your heals.

If Wildstar is similar, it should be a lot of fun but the concerns about organizing randoms for healing are justified. I try to keep my heals near the enemy to keep the tank and melee dps up. A lot of people have a natural reaction to run to me when they take a few scratches instead of stepping over a few feet into a healing circle. Just one person who doesn't adjust to the healer can end up dead a lot or put the whole party at risk. Hopefully the telegraph system will help out but there will always be players who just won't work with you no matter what you do.
  18. Optimisticnerd

From what I've read, single-target healing will be effective, however in order to be mana efficient you must use AOE telegraphs for the majority.

In the words of Jeremy Gaffney (Taken from interview with ZAM)

Carbine seems to be a company that is 100% about rewarding the player for how well they play. This isn't to say that single-target heals won't be able to keep your target alive, but rather to say that it's either a more powerful heal or more mana efficient if you use AOE telegraphs.
  19. Taters

Taters Cupcake

Makes perfect sense you would need a big single-target tank heal that doesn't punish you so extensively if the jerk rolls out of your circle of life.
  20. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

As a non-healer, I have a question.

I thought the enjoyment of healing comes (in other games) from strategically and proactively hitting a target or targets with the right heal at the right time and managing that.

It seems though if healers just rely on other players to move into their heals, that takes away much of the satisfaction of the healer role in the first place.

So to all of you healers, how do you see it?
    Recruiter likes this.