1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Healing: News on how it will work

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Optimisticnerd, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Oziriz

Oziriz New Cupcake

It's definitely an interesting concept for healing these telegraphs. But if you think about it WoW kind of uses it a s well for some of their AoE Heals, like healing rain, swiftmend after effect, light of dawn, and the priest thing. Where people need to stack up to get the full benefit from the heals.

Of course Wildstar will take it a step further with most spells being telegraph based. Which is extremely interesting. BUT I'm very, VERY please to read they have single target spells in the game as well, I really think you need to have that for tank healing or someone taking insane dmg.

I do hope some AoE spells can be placed and that not everything is cone based or based in a circle around you. Though I can see some interesting stuff they could do where you maybe fire something in a direction with a telegraph around it for like 5 seconds and everything in that path getting healed. Or imagine a spellslinger shooting some sort of explosive shot on the ground with a circle telegraph round it and it explodes and heals ppl standing in it, then the smaller particles coming from the explosion turn into smaller circular telegraphs X yards away from the initial explosion and heals everyone standing in those.
  2. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

This actually has been used before to some extend for those who have a good memory or been in this genre for a while.

Age Of Conan, made use of position based healing spells. No clicking on frames it made dungeons and raids interesting as you couldn't simply stand there and spam or focus on mana management and coolddowns but you had to be in the fight. Take note that mobs and bosses could cleave and things got a whole lot more interesting.

Now is this good or bad?

Purely depends on the player, it does make it all together more challenging. Since as tank or as DPS you need to be more aware as getting healed is now a combined effort compared to let's say WoW now where generally "mob not hitting healer" is the only factor to really count in.

As in with AoC it will take time to adjustments and some will flat out dislike it as healing became a much more intense role to play. What for me personally is good as the reason i turned away from healing is that you're generally just hitting frames and only moving out of bad stuff with little to no extra activities in combat.

AoC healing was not sure if it still is haven't played since i stepped down as class advocated years ago, a HoT based with a few burst healing, Not something i overly liked due to how simple it was with white, green and blue heals, but the execution of position based healing i would gladly like to see back. Also here you will have visuals "telegraphs" on the ground in AoC it was simply a guess game how far your heals would go or how wide the cone was.

For PvP this is also interesting as burst healing and DPS is bad and the more smart positioning is required the more teamwork is required what means player skill is the most determining factor as gear will just play a minor role.

(ps: not sure if this was mentioned before didn't read all 11 pages)
  3. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

Some of the healing abilities in AoC were interesting to use, but healing in general was really quite poor in that game and a very limited role. I played a Bear Shaman to cap, but only subbed for the first couple of months, so it's possible that they have completely overhauled it, but during the time I played healing worked like this:

- Every healing class has their own version of the same abilities, 2 different types of AoE heal over time spells, and 1 AoE immediate heal on a lengthy cooldown (30s-1min?).

- HOTs don't stack with themselves, and don't stack between 2 different players even if they are different classes.

- The immediate heal leaves a debuff on the target that prevents other immediate heals from being used on them for some time, even between different players and classes.

As the HOTs lasted a fair amount of time, and were AoE, it was trivial for even 1 healer to keep HOTs up on the group permanently. It involved some movement, to use the position based cones on people at range, and involved getting in close to the fight in order to HOT the tank and melee, but the amount of time required to keep this healing going was minimal. As your healing abilities were so limited, you actually spent most of your time DPS'ing, and there was very little you could do as a healer to alter the outcome of a fight.

You essentially played like a DPS class who had to periodically refresh the group-wide HOTs that were responsible for all of the healing during the encounter. It wasn't exactly an engaging role, but yes the Bear Shaman short ranged healing cone is an interesting idea for a healing shape, I just wouldn't ever want to see a game adopt the other features of AoC 'healing'.
  4. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Some of the early video's show a group heal with no telegraph, It may have been changed or not, But they said in the video it was a group heal.

I also remember in some video's them saying telegraphs can be toggled off but they said its easier to kill groups of mobs with it on, this may have changed too, I'm not sure 100% but if they can does that mean normally telegraphed heals change their function?

If in pvp you see red telegraphed attacks from enemy players and green heals from your healers... what color will the indicator be for enemy heals for interrupts and such?
  5. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

I was therefor also refering to the actual positioning not the other parts of the system, hence the comment taking the good parts from it ;)