1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Healing: News on how it will work

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Optimisticnerd, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Ok I have to say the starter prologue of tera that bumps you up to 20 and lets you play with a lot of their tools is very nice as it lets me see what I will have access to.

Its actually not as bad as I thought, and it reminds me kinda of positioning wild mushrooms on my druid along with swiftmend circles or like lightwell , sanctuary and aoe heals on my priest. Mobile but having to take into account more then just line of sight to target which most targetted healing does.

Not too shabby - I kinda like it - feels similar but different. This is of course impressions from the prologue but I can see it being fun in raids.
  2. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Just as I figured. It's Healing Rain spamming...
  3. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

There are some targetted heals but to be honest I was just playing around in the prologue with npcs.

Its not a bad system for healing but thats coming from someone who like playing healers.

Considering that wildstar is supposed to be have multiple healing options including targetted heals and the ability to lock onto someone to drop a heal with aoe components on them as well as being able to switch out active skills , I can see it being very intuitive and can see various people play the same class and heal differently.

I shall be happily playing a healer I believe when wildstar comes out.
  4. Twinflame

Twinflame Cupcake-About-Town

After having raid-healed on a resto sham and then switched to being a full-time priest in TERA, I can say it's definitely not just healing rain spamming. I could break down all the healing spells for you, but it wouldn't make much difference for you. The strongest spells are direct-target healing spells, and yes, it is challenging to target people. Especially on endgame fights like Shandra Manaya, movement, timing, aiming is the key. You're actually shooting people with heals and you do have to hit them. The healing-rain-type spell shoots the ground ten meters in front of you and puts a circle there, so yo have to position yourself and aim.

o yeah, I do end up in situations where people are at 5% health and running away from me and I'm chasing them, because they're panicking and full of stupid. But these are only bad players. One of the main things about action combat like TERA's is that it's just as much their responsibility to avoid damage as it is for me to heal them from it. Maybe even more-so. And if they're at 5%, they need to keep their heads and avoid damage anymore, because if a telegraph gets between me and them, I'm going to prioritize avoiding damage over healing them. They have to survive until I can get to them.

So, not, it doesn't feel like WoW healing at all. It feels like action healing. It's fast-paced and challenging and things are exploding everywhere, so if I worry to much about health bars I'm doing it wrong. Action combat means action healing. If you want to just stand around and make the green bar go up, action combat systems aren't what you want. I'd urge you to try action healing, though, because it's five bazillion times more fun than tab-target healing.

Like, after healing in TERA, I don't think I'll ever play a healer in a tab-target game again. Not saying WoW healing wasn't fun and challenging at the time, but when I started healing TERA, it gave being a badass healer whole new meaning. I mean, really, healing plus a thousand.

No matter how much everything else in TERA has gone wrong, healing in TERA is still one of the best MMO experiences I've ever had. If Wildstar is anything like that, I'll be very happy.
    Malorak and Naunet like this.
  5. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Glad to hear. Its just something that folks will have to learn , like training dps to run to a tank when they pulll agro.
    It was like pulling teeth to get folks to use light well in its first incarnation till they eventually dumbed it waaaay down.

Im actually pretty intruiged by tera healing and will be rolling a prophet to see how it goes, although how far i get depends on how painful leveling is.
    Malorak likes this.
  6. Drasas

I'm honestly hoping that the last class is more like the traditional MMO healer so I don't have to deal with the headache of placed heals as much.
  7. Drasas

I did mention Gears of War: Combat Medic edition too to be fair.
  8. Twinflame

Twinflame Cupcake-About-Town

Once you get shocking implosion you'll be OP against normal quest mobs until like level 30. Get yourself to level 20 and you'll have a pile of group quests and a dungeon to heal. Do them without a tank and with underskilled players if you're confident in your abilities, and if you got the skill you should be able to carry them through just about anything. A well-played priest is a god.

You're still going to have to deal with avoiding telegraphs and placement. The OP also makes it sound like the AoE heals will be the best in the game, so I really think you'd be happier if you gave it a chance.
  9. Drasas

I have no issue with having to move. I can get out of the way very easily. Tunneling should get healers killed, but I simply prefer targeted traditional heals.
  10. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

TERA puts far more emphasis on your position in the fight as a healer, not just in the sense that you don't stand in the fire, but in the sense that you need to consider your position to use your abilities properly.

Picture healing rain but instead of a ground target the circle appears at a fixed range infront of you in the direction you're facing, so that in order to aim it you have to position yourself in the correct spot. Then your healing orbs that can be used by players can only be dropped ontop of your position, and can only be picked up by people standing next to them, so you need to get close to people if you want to leave them convinient healing pills. That's not to say that TERA healing is amazing, but it's different, and it shows what else can be done with the role that can spice things up.

WoW's healing abilities are pretty much all uni-directional with 40 yard ranges, where the only thing you have to consider is your line of sight. As a result you rarely need to keep track of where everyone is in the fight, and your own movement can be limited to just not standing in the fire. Regularly while healing in WoW i'll find myself just hanging around in some random position not even facing in the general direction of the fight and healing purely through unit frames, which is all I need to do as long as i'm not in the fire. I don't need to know where people are, I only have to know where their bars are.

Of course encounter design also has a big impact on how healing works, you wouldn't want too many WoW style encounters where everyone sits in a stack behind the boss and you throw circles ontop of people all fight. The telegraph system and the other unique mechanics of an encounter will have to get people moving so that the combat system shines through.
  11. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

That's perfectly fine, but not caring for a particular style (though I wouldn't describe it as "healing being an afterthought" at all) is a lot different than making sweeping assertions about mechanics that are patently false, like Chosenxeno was doing.
    Malorak likes this.
  12. Chosenxeno

Chosenxeno Cupcake-About-Town

They are not completely false. I've action healed 2 times already(Starting on my 3rd with NWO. The Healing in an environment seems pretty good so far. I am running into the same issues as every other action MMO though) today. I'm speaking from my prior experiences. Tera raids do look boring from a healing perspective. They seem like glorified multi-phase zergs just like in every other action MMO. You can't pull off a Yogg Saron like encounter in a action MMO. I'm not some old guy that's afraid of change. I'm speaking from experience and reaching a conclusion based on MY experiences not just making "sweeping assertions".

After healing in multiple Traditional and Action MMOs I have found traditional to be the most fun. How powerful and relevant can a healer be in a environment where ever class has a short-CD escape move? It's not like Traditional MMOs where your "get out of jail free card" is upwards of 2 minutes.

I'm curious are there any fights in Tera where, there's an Aura that constantly damages you every second of the fight?
  13. Chosenxeno

What's in bold = every experience I've had in an action MMO as a healer so far. That's the flaw of action combat from a healing perspective imo. I think I'm beginning to see why GW2 just nixed the role altogether. You may as well be hitting stuff lol.

I always get stuck wondering if I matter while healing in action MMOs.
  14. Naunet

There is unavoidable damage in many instances in TERA, though the most well known are the debuffs in Kelsaik's Nest and Shandra Manaya's extremely deadly combination of dots (if you get hit, you're stuck with a very long-duration dot that stacks if you're hit again before it falls off, and throughout the fight, players swap heavy-damage debuffs around). Even more, 99% of players are not perfect. Doll may be able to solo his way through all of TERA's content, but he is practically inhuman.

You keep saying things like "zergs" and "you can't do this", but you have yet to actually explain why you feel this way. To me, who has experienced the exact opposite of what you're saying, it sounds like you've simply played very poorly executed MMOs.
  15. Ark

Ark Cupcake-About-Town

Why is nearly every thread talking about Tera? just asking.........
  16. Naunet

Well, this thread is about healing, and WildStar has something of a hybrid tab-target/action combat system. Thus, discussion of action combat MMOs as it may relate to WildStar's combat is appropriate.
    Mailroomclerk likes this.
  17. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

Feel free to explain why you think that is, and what you think 'action MMO' even means.

And If your definition of Action MMO is "a game where you can't do Yogg Saron" then i'm calling shennanigans.
    Naunet likes this.
  18. Drasas

I'm obviously not him, but I can give a little insight to Yog as I did it when it was progression content and achieved one light(25) during tier 8 World 152 and zero light(10) Pre-ICC. Healing in the inside phases way too much movement and in erratic directions, healing during tentacle phases might be possible if the raid could stack enough but the damage is random, healing during the final phases with being forced to stand at the back at not ever look at Yog for fear of sanity wouldn't work well. This is coming from the only Holy Paladin in my 25-man guild at the time.
  19. TeoH

TeoH Well-Known Cupcake

Heh ok, that's not what i meant. I've more than enough experience healing Yog (As a resto druid, if it's relevant), and the question was about how he defines "Action MMO", and why he thinks you couldn't do Yog in one.

If anything, ironically, Yogg is one of the more 'Action MMO'ish fights in WoW. It requires constant movement to avoid damage, and the madness mechanic cannot be healed through so non-healers are required to look after themselves. I would describe it as a fight that's more about movement than about healing.
  20. Chosenxeno

No need to he just did:)

Action MMORPGs are the ones without the Traditional MMORPGs UI and mechanics like auto attacking and "Rotations".Oh c'mon, You know exactly what I'm talking about. lol