1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Hoverboards!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Ugh, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Octopusbread

Octopusbread New Cupcake

After the stream i'm pretty let down to see that they're basically just a mount, the stream made it look like racing wont be much more possible than it is with WoW mounts
  2. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Did you miss the part where they said they absolutely want to add racing at some point?

But nothing is stopping players to just do races on their own.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

And just how often do we hear that from every developer and nothing ever comes of it? Learn to listen for marketing speak bro.

You mean outside of next to no one participating?
  4. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Whether they follow through is another matter. The fact is they at least are interested in pursuing it at some point. I'm well versed in marketing speech, actually.

Why's that? Do you need a reward in order to participate. I suppose having great fun can't be its own reward.
    Ianpact likes this.
  5. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

Translation: We have this sort of thing for quest specific mounts which is nothing new and we will probably never get around to doing it for player purchased mounts but we will keep telling you it's a possibility and if we ever do get around to it expect it to come with an an expansion far down the track when we hemorrhaging subs like crazy.
  6. Livnthedream

If that were true then you know it does not actually mean anything, outside of them knowing how to hit hot buttons within the community.

How many races are you aware of being conducted at the Gadgetzan Raceway? Or even the new goblin built one? This is not Field of Dreams. Build it and they will come does not work. Even looking at emergent gameplay, its not purely fun that drives it, its often some form of payout in other ways, like social standing via clique forming, or monetary gain. If there is no direct upside, it will quickly be forgotten in favor of something that does.
    Karl Pedder likes this.
  7. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

Lol because completely unsupported and unincentivised purely player driven content has been so succesful in the past, I mean it's why there is so many really successful sandbox MMOs out there.....oh wait.
  8. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Doubting what they say is as bad as believing it. I do neither. I adopt a wait and see approach. Again, the fact remains they've at least stated an interest.

That's nice. And there's still nothing stopping players from racing one another.
    Ianpact and Skippy like this.
  9. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Most of the times you tend to have some what good debate going on, but even you your self have to know that this is one of the worst examples out there. Almost feels like you are trolling again.

Let me ask a question; Would you play a racing game where cars have instantaneous acceleration from 0-to max speed? Where cars have equal friction on every surface and on any speed? Where all cars would always move equal speed? Where inertia would not affect your vehicle and you could approach a turn with full throttle? Where cars are not affected by gravity? Where cars can turn instantaneously from any speed to any direction, even making a 180 degree turn from max speed to max speed in a matter of milliseconds?

I wouldn't.

And that's all there is for the retarded in WoW mounts. They break immersion and there is nothing in to them other than a visual for a faster run animation.

Why people got so excited of racing, let it be without rewards and only occasionally with their friends, was that the sneak peek to hoverboards on the "You found" it video seemed to imply this particular mount was being affected by simulated physics.

When your mount is being affected by friction, inertia and gravity, racing just becomes slightly more fun than the absolute retardness that WoW mounts are.
    Afrotech likes this.
  10. Livnthedream

And none of that is present based on what was shown in the Livestream.
  11. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

It isn't which has had me wondering, but either way what we saw in the ''you found this'' video was a much faster mount that showed a bit more complexity. how much? we really don't know yet, so it's kinda pointless mud slinging over something we know very little about.
    Afrotech likes this.
  12. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Well...In that Trailer they looked all physic-y and all, not just hit W and move forward. Kiiinda letdown to be honest.
  13. Livnthedream

Its been stated in a couple places that many of the "temp" mounts have different effects, like weapons and speed boosts. Nothing, anywhere, has said anything about "physics" outside of the anti grav stuff. The "grabbing the board" and what not are all just animations, like WoWs barrel rolls.
  14. Infamouz

Indeed.

I was simply telling you why people got so excited, and why your comparison to Gadgetzan driveway was horrible, if the hoverboard had come out like it seemed to be on the first video. I am sure people had not got this amount of enthusiasm going, if the mount had not shown so much promise.

I'll try and ask the developers, whether the mounts will be affected by physics, or not.
    Malorak likes this.
  15. Livnthedream

I am well aware of that. The difference is adding physics for racing is entirely against the grain of the game. It becomes a convoluted mess as soon as you start down that road.
  16. Infamouz

I disagree. It's not so much about crossing genres, but making a existing feature within the genre better, more engaging and immersion enhancing.
    Afrotech likes this.
  17. Livnthedream

How do you figure exactly? The "genre" is about people, not skill/sim. Immersion is a horrible argument on every level for various reasons and engagement is a tough sell. I know rolling around on whatever mount I have drifting is likely one of the last things I want to do. Much less roll off and start a race against my faction in the middle of a war/settlement/taming of a planet. Adding a bar for engagement, sure, I can buy that, rp space and what not. Adding race tracks so people can go screw around on their hoverboards, with some sort of reward enhancement attached (because there always is), not so much.
  18. Infamouz

I took that up, as you said before that you think this kinda activities are bad idea due to the fact crossing genres never works. I don't see it as crossing genres. Initially in my excitement I was suggesting hoverboard mini games, but atm I think they might not be so good idea after all. I think player created content around the subject is a great bonus tho.

I am sorry you feel so. To me personally mounts the way they are in WoW as example, is horrible experience. I would absolutelly love mount physics, but then again, opinions are like arse holes.

The fact you are on a warzone, doesn't mean you do not have life outside fighting.

I don't really want racing minigame for it, not anymore.

I just want somewhat ok simulated physics, so I can have fun with the mounts. It really diminishes the fun, if you climb the highest mountain, hop on your hoverboard and ski downhill and the board does not gather speed going downhill but moves the same speed as on flat surface, does not slow down while cornering or doesn't follow the momentum, potentially causing you to crash a tree etc.

I'm not asking for Grand Turismo level simulation, more so something like Firefall gliders.
    Afrotech likes this.
  19. Livnthedream

Except you haven't stopped to think about how squishy that tends to make combat feel, which with telegraphs is going to be paramount.

Sweet, back to the gliders vs flying mount debacle, just what we need.
  20. Infamouz

Mounts are attackable, and have health. This can be balanced. Overall I don't actually quite understand where you are going with this Combat vs. Hoverboard.

Stop trying to troll mate. I took the Firefall gliders as a example of the physics around them, the kind I would like to be applied to certain ground mounts.

I think I am trough with this discussion. You can continue disliking hoverboards and simulated physics in your corner, I shall continue liking the idea in mine.