1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Hoverboards!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Ugh, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Hezrou

Hezrou Cupcake-About-Town

When I saw this trailer I flipped my <REDACTED>. I even drew fanart while I was at work. Ballpoint pens and no references ftw!!
  2. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I'm starting to think Aurin might be natural boarders, with their low center of gravity, light weight and counter balance/grabbing tail giving them a strong edge against other races.

[​IMG]
    Sonntam likes this.
  3. WakeskaterX

WakeskaterX Cupcake-About-Town

It wouldn't be that hard to add SIMPLE physics that added more flavor to boarding than just forward to go forward.

This is how I'd envision an somewhat simple system for boarding:

Keyboard Controls:
    No Button = Decelerate, you just slowly come to a stop after a short while.

W = Accelerate, you just scale this up to a maximum speed. (They probably already have it accelerate slightly for graphical reasons, you just need to draw it out so it takes a few seconds to hit max speed, modified by an Accel Variable possibly :D).

A/D = turn left and right, pretty simple, could be modified by a turn speed variable.

S = Slow down / brake until stop. Could be modified by a breaking variable.

Space bar = Jump. and Grab while in air. (Space+A = Stalefish, Space+S = Tail Grab, Space+D = Indy, Space+W = Nose Grab, Space alone = Melon or something in between one of the other grabs)

Now, while you are in the air, if you hold a grab and hit the ground, or didn't let go in time, or are turned sideways to the direction you were going, it stuns you and throws you off your board. If you let go and land the grab, it gives you a short, small speed boost added to your current speed (increases max speed for the duration by the same %) You could even allow this to stack a few times so that players could choose locations with neat jumps.

Mouse Controls: (Just an extra thought, could be cool but doesn't really fit in with the current control scheme that well.)

LMB = Basic Attack while boarding, Kind of a hit or shot to the side that would do damage to the person's mount possibly knocking them off if you do enough.

edit: added this good idea below!
    RMB = Kickflip, could be combined with WASD for different flips, Pop shove-its, etc.

The current hoverboard system is very basic and will probably stay that way for launch, after all it was done in the spare time of some of the devs. I would just love to see them flesh it out a little bit more, because I love Wakeboarding (oh my... surprise?) and longboarding and would love to see a system like this given a little bit more love and flair.

(even if not everyone gives a poop about it - they should stop raining on the boarding parade).
    Mountebank, Irullan and Vyver like this.
  4. Hezrou

I can see it now..."Sorry, you're too OP to race. go away."

XD
    Sonntam likes this.
  5. WakeskaterX

They already stated they don't want to race lock you. X-D

I can see it now:
    "Ugh, I have an irrational fear of bunnies ever since my pet one bit my pinky toe clean off but... BUT... I have to play Aurin, they're the best Boarders around! THE AGONY!"
  6. Hezrou

I'll admit...that made no sense to me o.o;
    WakeskaterX likes this.
  7. WakeskaterX

It was a random, hypothetical, crazy example.

The first part was about in the livestream they said they don't want to force people to play one race over another because of marginalized bonuses. (I.E. Having to play Undead Rogue for PvP because of WotF). They want people to play the race they like, not the one that is 'best'.

So the example was like, someone hates bunnies but feels forced into it because they love boarding and want to be the best hover-boarder.
  8. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah, the hoverboard controlls in the "You found it" and the livestream looked very much different. On the live footage the controlls looked very ummmm, could you say arcade like? It looked like A and D were keybound to strafing and the turning was done by mouse, much like you normally* controll your character in MMO games.

I was wondering could you possibly run the hoverboard so, that when you mount the device your keybindings change from A=Strafe Left D=Strafe Right in to A=Turn Right D= Turn Left. Mounting the hoverboard would make you a filthy keyboard turner. Your button S, would be assigned to slow down, and eventually stop. You'd use the button in conjuction of A or D in tigher turns, to make it.

Your W button would be assigned to "turbo boost" which would increase your speed and give you better acceleration when required, and would also give you the ability to travel high speeds over a flat terrain, untill you have used up the boost and friction makes you slow down.
    The W button could also give you slow traverse over normal terrain when pressed down constantly even when the turbo boost is used up, as the engine would be running idle, still giving you a little amount of propulsion.

Like you said it seems to be that you can only continue the momentum in to one direction. Meh, hard subject for me to talk about as I just do not have the vocabulary in english for this. Maybe my awesome paint skills will clear a little how it looked like:

[​IMG]

On the left: How the movement looked this saturday on livestream
    On the right: How it looked at the "You found it" video, and how I would prefer it to be in the game.
    (Red: Momentum, Black your movement.)
  9. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

So, I was up most of last night and during that time I think I watched the hoverboard video on loop for maybe thirty minutes. There's actually only like 5 seconds of actually video of the hoverboard. I still like the little stick figure drawing and the "Weee!". So, after studying the footage in my half asleep way and having the music lull me to sleep for a little while I came to a conclusion........

Vroom! Vroom!
  10. Mountebank

Mountebank New Cupcake

I'm glad these boards 'got powa!' so they'll work on water ;)

11. Reven Six

Reven Six New Cupcake

"Weeeeeeeee!!" Indeed. Mini THPS anyone? :)
  12. Bastille

Bastille Cupcake

I
    I'm not an expert but that sounds like it would be brutal on systems. It would be awesome, though.