1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How do you feel about "Limited" Action Sets?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Ingsoc, Feb 13, 2013.

1. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

Yes, your skill is a part of your build, to use it you need to equip it in one of eight(currenlty 8 skills) slot.

Things like mounts/consumables/flavor can go on other slots

and i belive that path skills are also not part of that restriction, but dont quote me on that.

also i heard that there is some sort of Ultimate skill(like NWN) that i also belive is on separate slot
  2. alan

alan Cupcake

Sounds super frustrating... As good or as bad as this could be, which it sounds like there could be both from what people have posted, I know for a fact if I get to a point where I want or need to use an ability, and can't because it just happens to not be on my bar. Imma get mad. Happens in WoW all the time, I forget to switch a talent and glyph out, and all of a sudden that fight is ruined for me. If they made the abilities you pick more permanent and you aren't just switching them out on a whim, I could see this ok, as I wouldn't be used to using those abilities. But I don't see a point, there is always going to be a set of abilities that is just going to be better than another set. There's always going to be a talent tree that's better than another. Always going to be a spec that is better than another. Always going to be a build that's better than another. Just how it is, Its hard to balance things out, and something is always going to be a little bit better then the other. I don't know why game companies go through these great lengths to make everyone feel unique, when everyone just ends up choosing to be the same anyways.
    Luc likes this.
  3. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

4. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

GW1 had a Limited Action Set - it had an awesome variety of viable builds.

Links: Skills info. Dervish skills.

Pick 8 Dervish skills, I can assure you that you didn't pick the same as me.
    kuunkulta likes this.
  5. Zero713

Zero713 Cupcake

I am in favor of limited action set. WoW is too busy and so much clutter. I think WoW can be overwhelming at times, and some of the stuff I might use for one encounter. I like having a limited action set because the design adds to the strategy.

For instance, in PVP I need to think of classes, encounters, and situations and then choose the best options to deal with the situation. Do I want all attacks, heavy attacks with long cool downs, all utility abilities, a mix? Its a lot to think about, and adds to each fight. The player will learn what is good for certain situations, and in my opinion, will learn to play the character and build much better.

For raiding I can see this being a bit annoying having to change actions for aoe, single target dps, etc. But again, if the person lays out a balanced action set that is practical, there shouldn't be much switching at all.
    Kataryna likes this.
  6. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

It depends how they implement it. I heard something in an interview recently that sounded like Carbine might be doing something similar to TSW. In that game there are over 500 abilities that you can earn, and switch out according to the zone you're in and the mob abilities you face. In some zones, your favourite skill set won't work because the mobs are resistant. In another, there are buffs you have to cleanse and deal with. There is no "best spec" or talent tree that is better than another. Deeper gameplay. Would be cool if that's what we are getting.

I think your problem with the idea stems from the fact that you are looking at this from a WoW perspective. Wildstar's style of gameplay, (if I'm right) forces you to choose what bar setup you will need.
  7. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

As of last month there were 10 available slots in the LAS, which includes Path abilities, and AFAIK there are no "ultimate" or "daily" type abilities.
  8. Tayle

Tayle Cupcake

I think the best number is 16 slots. Having 2 skillbars with 8 on each and to be able to swap between those 2 in combat. (Like swapping weapons in GW2).

I mostly think as a healer and that would be pretty good for me atleast. On your main bar you could have healing spells on 1-5, 6-8 could be defense/support and/or crowd control spells. On your second bar you could have damage spells and maybe more support spells. Just an example.

And for a dps your main bar could have single target spells and the second could be aoe spells.

I don't think they will have 16 slots though... But I really hope so :D
  9. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I like the idea of a LAS. It won't be as limited as in GW2, where the choice of weapon generally followed a no-brainer set for the 5 remaining slots (like ask a warrior if they use signet of rage as their elite, the answer is probably yes).
    With the large variety of skills and the freely selectable 8-10 slots (we will have several path abilities i think) we should get a nice, big variety of possible builds. Especially since main stats have milestones, so you can also focus on different stats for your character, and use other skills to get different builds etc.
    So in the end, I'm much in favor of this system.

Another benefit, as I see it, is that maybe we might get some more tanks and healers. Why? The combat is more about movement and managing a smaller skillset, rather than balancing two dozen cooldowns, heals, threat skills, self-heals, consumeables and whatnot. This should make tanking and healing seem more like an active, fun thing, rather than a daunting task.
    As comparison, I find healing in Neverwinter (as bad as the game is at times) much more welcoming and easy than in say, WoW, where you have to manage a lot more skills. So I might give it a shot in wildstar as well, see how the action system goes, and I'm quite interested in playing a tank as well.
    Zero713 likes this.
  10. Sabre070

I reckon this could be an interesting mechanic if they made it part of the combat system.

Rather than just giving you access to X abilities they could have it so that swapping bars has a ~30s cooldown, so you have to really choose when you want to swap.

It may allow the fights in PVE to be a little more complex (from solo to 40man) and PVP would be even more interesting rock-paper-scissors.

If they were going to put in a system like that I'd probably want them to keep the spells to say 7 on each bar, so there is 14 total. That'd be easily used for everyone with: 1, 2, 3, 4, q, e, r and f to swap.

I'm fine with LAS as it is, but that idea sounds like it could both give more ability options AND give more interesting options when selecting skill builds.
  11. Tayle

Tayle Cupcake

I agree with the cooldown I think it could be really awesome :D And 14 slots is also good :up:
  12. Rarlian

Rarlian New Cupcake

Going from 44ish keybinds (I can't stand clicking anything) to only needing about 8 or 10 will be a bit weird for me. I won't say that I LOVED having all the keybinds, but I did enjoy having all of the abilities at my disposal in different situations, especially PvP.
    Luc likes this.
  13. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

i saw a interview where someone talked about a elite skill that had its own slot. cant find it now because of how many interviews were given in t he last couple of weeks
  14. Valderen

Valderen New Cupcake

I prefer limited action set. It's part of character customization. It's something that feels like building a deck in magic the gathering. Selecting abilities that works well together, or for a specific situation or play style.
  15. Tom Collins

Tom Collins New Cupcake

The LAS is my biggest fear for this game in all honesty. I really hated it in GW2, I much prefer having a lot of skills to use (like WoW).
    I just feel like I am being hamstringed having to use only a few at a time.
    It's the reason I only played GW2 for a few weeks before getting bored.

I really hope this is changed to use a much more expansive set when released, because honestly, I think it detracts from the skill required.
    Just my two cents.
    Luc likes this.
  16. Faulted

Faulted Cupcake

I like the limited skill sets like GW2 has. The only thing I didn't like about that was being stuck with those skills, so if I'm allowed to change them, then I am satisfied.
    Kataryna likes this.
  17. Sabre070

Guild Wars 2 limited action set was horrible. Look at Guild Wars 1 - Wildstar's is going to be more like that.
    kuunkulta likes this.
  18. Elrodeus

Elrodeus Cupcake

I remember spending hours and hours, discussing skill sets with friends in GW1. I can't wait to do this again in wildstar. Hopefully they give all the classes enough abilities to pick through to make skill sets interesting and fun to build.
  19. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

For me it's all good as long you give me more combinations than simply 1,2,3.

I enjoy complicated priority systems over rotations.
  20. Valderen

Valderen New Cupcake

One of the problem with the GW2 action bar was that 5 of your abilities were set at once based on your weapon. Then 1 had to be a heal, and 1 had to be the epic skill. You didn't have the freedom to put the abilities you wanted on your action bar and that was made the limited action bar bad in GW2, even though I prefer it to WoW 40 abilities, 30 of which were mostly unused anyways.