1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How is crafting going to work and will it be worth it?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Alverant, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

meh if it is hard enough like requiring raid drops for raid gear and /or other stuff i dont see an issue. make it hard enough to justify it and it will be ok.
  2. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Well-Known Cupcake

As long as you are requiring raiding to craft that gear, I am fine with that. I just don't want top tier gear getting into the hands of casual scrubs who don't raid.
  3. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

you know when you say "casual scrubs" you sound like an elitist jerk right?
    FruitPunchHero likes this.
  4. Prof. Walrus

Prof. Walrus Cupcake

WHY THE *twiddles* NOT?? Seriously you guys sound like little whiny fat kids! DO NOT force me to raid just to get that one item I want for a cool headpiece. As far as I'm concerned leave crafting, pvp and raid stay the *stars* away from eachother. You guys are whining because you're afraid crafters will have the same tiers as raid. But for what purpose do you want high stats? As a raider you RAID to get stats for RAIDING to defeat stronger RAIDBOSSES. For PVP you want high PVP stats to kill OTHER PVP players. Now tell me this. Is there a difference in PvP and PvE gear? Yes, Professor, yes there is. Do you want PvE gear in a PvP fight, or otherwise? No, Professor, we do not. Then why shouldn't crafted gear not have its own tiers? Take a look at FFXIV for example. Crafting gear has Control, while gathering gear has Perception and Gathering. You won't see me fighting a raid boss with 500 Perception.. You are thinking black and white, while we have other colours too you know.

tl;dr:
    • Why do we NOT want crafted epics?
      • Because we're afraid people with money and time will buy themselves into raids.
    • Does this HAVE to be a problem?
      • No, we can just have separate tiers for pvp, raiding and crafting. Crafted gear could be utterly useless for pvp or raid.
    • Is that the only solution? I want epic stats on my gear!!
      • Of course not, you silly human. Craftable epics could just as good be soulbound or untradable via AH, so only friends and guildies could obtain such items. Or I can keep them all to myself :)
    • Do I have to continue this dumb conversation?
      • No dear boy, as long as the other people will listen to reason and stop whining on with the same arguments that have been used over and over, we can all leave this thread and continue on in a friendly manner.
  5. Jabberwocky

I am one and became one when games like WoW started catering to the casual crowd and ruining MMO's.

If developers would quit rewarding the casual crowd who is too busy or not skilled enough to earn their gear through high level dungeons and raiding, there wouldn't be an issue.
  6. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

like i said if they make it hard enough there should be no issue.
    i do want to point out that casual = less time to invest
    and
    hardcore = more time to invest.
    they arent words that should be equated to skill or lack thereof.

i do agree that wow made it so things were catered to the people without skill AND those without time.
    making it for those without time wouldntve been a problem. things could be hard and everything would be ok.
    its when you make it for people who lack skill it becomes a problem.
  7. Jabberwocky

Accommodating players with a lack of time and/or lack of skill is the problem. Giving you access to better stuff just because you lack the time or skill is pure BS.
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Yeh i've seen it before, people keep combining time and skill together to ''explain'' the word ''casual''.

Like a mom with 4 kids and a job couldn't be a hardcore raiders in the night (a few hours a week) cause she has the best skills.

But should raids take days and hours to complete so only the so called ''hardcore'' can do them?
    WoW made both the time and skill lower....now if Carbine only has the time on a more ''normal'' level (so no raids that take like 7-8 hours)....then we'll see a LOT of hardcore players that don't have a lot of time but still wish to raid as often as they can and got the skills to do so.
  9. FruitPunchHero

FruitPunchHero Cupcake

Time to abandon thread. It has devolved into trying to define casual and hardcore. All hope for conversation is lost. I will mourn your loss sweet, sweet thread.
  10. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

raids that take less than 8 hours to finish are for carebear scrubs and are ruining mmos
  11. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I meant 7-8 hours a day :p If YOU can keep that up....then something in your life is wrong ;)
  12. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

raiders who don't raid 7-8 hours a day are casual scrubs and are ruining mmos

in fact, just to quicken this thread, everyone who doesn't play to my incredibly narrow playstyle is a carebear scrub and is ruining mmos

ruining. forever. If you can't commit the entirety of your day and nights to playing an online game you're a scrub and ruining mmos
  13. Jabberwocky

[​IMG]
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  14. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I'm not angry, I'm merely expressing my disdain for the individuals who are dragging down our genre.
  15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

My guild did just fine on 3 hours and only 3 days, and that was just for learning. Once we did learn the raid, then it was 1 and a half nights. If you don't want to raid 7 hours, then dont join a guild that raids 7 hours.

it would seem from recent articles and frustration by game devs, that we aren't the ones dragging down the genre
  16. Jabberwocky

There is no room for logic here, bro. :p
  17. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I understand that.....I just said, I don't hope Carbine make raids that require you to raid that much before you can ever complete them.

We did a bit more, we raided 3,5 hours each time and 3 times a week. Which to me should be enough to be able to eventually complete a raid.
  18. Jabberwocky

So you don't want to be bothered learning events and want easy mode raiding?

----------------> WoW is that way.
  19. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

I'm gonna break character here for a bit, because I'm even starting to get on my nerves, but that's a pretty big assertion to throw around without proof

I've seen tons of articles discussing the topic of mmos being made for a larger variety of players, and the rise of free to play games changing developmental styles, and how lowering ease of access forces developers to create a larger variety of content that takes more time to make (as raids are pretty cost effective, being a small amount of design work that players are forced to play through repeatedly before moving on, they get a lot of bang for their buck)

but I've never seen game developers "airing frustration", so-to-speak, about the wider audience "dragging the genre down".

I'd love to see any articles you could provide.
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

When did I say this?....again making assumptions....
    I said when you have to raid 7-8 hours for 5-7 days before you can EVER complete it.

Ever for me =
    This is WITH knowing ALL the bosses/tactics, and with having ALL of the best raid gear.

I don't mind having a raid I need to do for 4 hours a day for 4 days (when we learned the tactics, got the gear, knowing the bosses etc.) and then we can just complete it in time.

But not around what the 7-8 hours a day for 5-7 days a week as I said.

If you got a bit of a job you can't keep up with 8 hours for 7 days. Atleast not with the jobs my friends and I have.

But so far about raiding.

On Topic about Crafting:

I'm still hoping Carbine can make something of the crafting in WildStar. I do hope they have a better fantasy then those above.