1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How seperate should gear be- PvP v.s. PvE

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Kyrios, Jul 2, 2013.

?

How different should PvP and PvE gear be

1. PvP gear should be interchangeable with PvE gear without any differences

17.7%
  2. PvP gear should be usable for PvE but not optimal

48.2%
  3. PvP gear should require Separate stats and not have needed stats for PvE (i.e. Hit rating)

31.7%
  4. Other- post with response

2.4%
  1. Kyrios

Kyrios Cupcake

Should PvP gear be totally separate from PvE gear? If so, how much? In Rift, they have valor and Vengence on thier PvP gear, and PvE has Toughness/ Hit so if you use them for the other, you will fail. GW2 does not have PvP gear (to my limited knowledge) and just uses ur PvE stuff. Where should Wildstar fall with thiers?
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

I believe Wildstar is big on the separate gear sets for different content.

However, I prefer gear be interchangeable between content and I think it can be done, but it's easier to just add PvP stats and call it a day. I don't like having to gather up separate sets for each type of content I engage in since I like all parts of the game.

What would be important is that PvE/PvP gear can't be incredibly imbalanced in the other content. However, I think it's good when MMOs encourage their players to do more than just raid or PvP to get great gear, but that's me.
    ruff_ethereal, Witless and Isarii like this.
  3. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

If the gear is completely interchangeable (which I am assuming to mean they are completely equal), then it greatly devalues PvE gear. PvP gear then becomes the best of both worlds in essence.

Interchanging some missing slots if you like to do both is fine, but should not be optimal.
  4. Batty

Batty New Cupcake

If you want good PvP gear, you should have to participate in PvP for it.

If you want good PvE gear, you should have to participate in PvE for it.

Why? Because no one should have the best of both worlds unless they devote their time to both.
    Kalmander likes this.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I prefer seperate gear :up: (ofcourse i wouldn't mind a bit of combining both gears)

Why?
    Kinda this :p I just feel that you can skip other content and replace it with gear from other content to jump ahead in again other content.

So instead of doing dungeons for gear, you just go do arena and get the same quality....and then start raiding.
    This way you'll end up with alot of people who don't know the mechanics used in dungeons and....well they shouldn't be able to get gear good enough for raiding then.

And what about Warplots then? Those are kinda the PvP version of 40 man raiding....would that mean you can do raids and just dominate in PvP aswell??? Again completely different mechanics etc.

Do please tell me a few game titles (MMO) that have been able to do so succesfully in the past? And then not have the problem i stated above.
    I can't really think of any tbh.....
  6. Xlugon Pyro

I don't know of any. I don't have that extensive of an MMO resume, but just because something hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't.

As I said in my post, it's a belief that I have based on how I've seen games get balanced. I could be wrong because there's a lot I don't know about the capabilities of game programming. However, I think it can be done. Maybe it can and maybe it can't. It's not too big of a deal for me since I enjoy PvP and raiding. I'll naturally do both so having strong gear for both content-types won't be too much of an issue. I just don't like lugging around several gear sets for everything that I do. Tank, DPS, heal, PvP tank, PvP DPS, PvP heal, plus special armor sets. It's too much.

What MMOs should do is create an armory tab in the character panel where you can store gear in the form of gear sets, name them, and switch between them on the fly. It would greatly convenience the multiple gear set problem and give us a lot more bag space.
  7. Warslyfe

Warslyfe Cupcake

I would like it mixed but, unfortunately the whining from the grass is greener perception wouldn't make it worth it in reality
  8. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

9. Xlugon Pyro

Yeah respeccing was a gold dump that was also just a huge dump as well.

Blizz made gear acquisition simpler as time went on so it made gathering up tons of sets easier but still incredibly time consuming and annoying. Although I may still need several sets in Wildstar too. Two PvP sets, two raiding sets, and perhaps even more depending on what else there is to do in Wildstar. I'll be busy just getting gear.

I also have aesthetic reasons for wanting multi-content gear. Not only do I like my gear to be versatile but I want to keep my gear's appearance mostly the same between each content type. Hopefully Wildstar will have a good transmog/wardrobe/dye system that will make this less of an issue.
  10. Isil

Isil Cupcake

Personally I think they should be two separate things. No high end PvE'er should be able to come into a PvP arena and compete or have an advantage in PvE gear (against equally skilled players) and the same the in reverse, people in PvP gear should be at a great disadvantage in PvE settings.

From a purely competitive standpoint it makes sense having separate sets and it seems that is what Wildstar is going for as well, which I am happy about.
  11. Ark

Ark Cupcake-About-Town

i think the main concern a lot of players have, from reading forums and from my own personal experience, is players with raid gear walking into pvp content and trampling pvp players. The flip side is that gear can, in most mmos, be farmed in pvp by simply "turning up". This is not the case now, but in the past you could build up a competative raid set by simply farming bgs for a few days. Would you top the meters? no, probably not, but it was still a very strong set.

That was one of the main reasons Resiliance was added to pvp gear in wow. It served 2 purposes:
    • Pve players had none, so they could be blown up quite quickly
    • PvP players DID have it, so the pve player would struggle to down him.
    now, we all know thats not how it actually ended up, but that was the intent. Personally, i think there should be unique sets for both pve and pvp, but my only concern is how effective, or inefective a player will be when attempting to swap playstyles.

Even now in WoW, a pvp geared player can walk into normal mode raiding and assuming they have reached the hit cap, they can be very effective dps. Not tanks, and not so much as a healer, but as dps, its perfectly fine. Flip things around tho, and send a pve geared player into pvp and he gets trampled.

So i guess its a balancing issue.
  12. CaptainYoul

CaptainYoul Cupcake-About-Town

I dont want to get outdpsed by a full PvP dude if i have epic PvE gear, but i dont wanna get outdpsed by someone in common gear if im full high epic PvP gear

on another note, if i just started PvP at lvl 50, i dont want to be useless until i grinded enough PvP gear to be "effective"

a good balance would be the solution, OBVIOUSLY
    SammyPo likes this.
  13. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I'd just like to point out that up to at least Cata PvP gear has always been viable for raiding in WoW atleas t at the start of an expansion/tier.
    Assuming your basics are capped purple pvp wrists/wands/etc can be a theoretical up over dungeon blues.
    In SWtoR even I was in some pvp gear when we were doing whatever bio<REDACTED> called 'hardmode'.
  14. Ark

Ark Cupcake-About-Town

yup totally, i may have worded it wrong but yes, pvp gear has always been effective raid gear for dps. by no means the best, but effective. they have had a few goes at stopping this, adding PvP power was the latest, but its still the case.
  15. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

I think pve gear should be almost as good as pvp gear in pvp. pvp gear should give a 5ish percent advantage in pvp via .. resilience or w/e and pve gear should give a small advantage in pve via hit or something.

a pvper in top end gear should definitely have a slight advantage in pvp, but I think artificially segregating your population is bad.
  16. Ark

Ark Cupcake-About-Town

i agree that seperating the population via gear is bad. What i do think though, is that the difference in gear should be noticable, but not overpowering.
    im not sure 5% is anywhere near enough. It needs to be close enough though that a player can be Effective, to an acceptable level. problem is everyones level is different.

heres a scenario i will play out. i am in pve gear, current 20man riad gear. full epics, nothing completely amazing but a very solid pve set. i usually come 2nd or 3rd on the meter, and i am a compitent player who knows his class well.

i decide to give pvp a go, and enter a battleground. its a 15v15 resource map. think AB. so i see another player, 1v1. he charges for me, and is in full pvp gear. same class.

i think by the end of that fight, i should lose, but he should know hes been in a fight. anything from 15%-35% hp left seems pretty fair to me. (taking RNG / Crits into account)

now in a group situation, if we have a healer, i want to be able to effectively scare the pants off someone. i want to be able to help focus down a particular healer, and be healed myslef, without being 2 shot by someone.

the counter to that is pvp>pve. so i have been playing pvp for a year, and have full set of pvp gear. i decide to go raid with some friends. I do my reseach, i reforge my stats to gain the required minimums, and alter my spec to a more pve oriented style. so off we go.

first boss is a stand still, patchwork style dps race. no crazy mechanics. i think i should come say 9th out of 12 on dmg done. (few ppl still in pve blues)

next boss is a high mobility, very reactive fight. i think i could come as high as 6th or 7th on this one, as its more my style with a lot of dodging and moving.

obviously those are made up numbers but the idea is those are numbers i would find quite acceptable. i certainly wouldnt wanna see the pvp geared player in the top5 dps for any fight, except maybe a 1 off gimmick fight, and i certainly wouldnt want to be completely destroyed by someone in full pve gear if i was in a bg.
  17. Isarii

Isarii Cupcake

I'm going to go with what seems to be the unpopular opinion and say gear should be equal - visually distinguishable, but equal.

The main argument against this seems to be that players should have to do that specific of content to get gear for that content, but why? In the end, this only discourage people from crossing over because the gear you are rewarded with in raiding doesn't help you with your primary activity, and vice versa. For the vast majority of players (especially on the PvP side), this doesn't encourage people to do more content - it encourages them to do less and focus their efforts on the side where they can progress. Even from the PvE perspective, I don't think it's particularly fair that a top-end PvEer trying to do their dailies will get stomped by a mediocre PvPer when they're attacked unless they farm a separate set of gear.

Some have commented that players will get gear usable in content that they don't deserve, but this seems to be the silliest argument of all. Bad players will still be bad, and the gear they get in PvE won't magically make them good at PvP, or again, vice versa. With gear being interchangeably useful between game-types, skill becomes more a defining factor, and despite the apparent popularity of artificial barriers, this is how it should be. A bad PvEer will still be bad at PvE even in PvP gear. A bad PvPer will still be bad at PvP even in PvE gear. Artificially forcing players to go through the experience of a certain type of content to progress when they will already have to gain that experience be skilled is just overkill.
    Witless likes this.
  18. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

Because bad players aren't the issue it's the good players that are.
    PvP progression is generlly faster then PvE which means it would make more sense for a world clss raiding guild to grind arenas then run dungeons or raid (although realistically they'd do both) which makes no sense. It also would kill the progression race and lead to faster content churn time because raid content is at least partially gated to gear and getting gear faster means content dies faster.
    Conversely gear isn't gated to time or directly to skill (hard modes take more skill but you don't need to be 1900 elo to do a hard mode raid like you do to get wildstar glad equivalent gear) in PvE like it is in PvP which means you could end up in a situation where one arena team gets an unfair boost to gearing by getting lucky drops.
    It also punishes people who want to do one or the other exclusively because the expectation will be that you will do both if you wish to participate seriously.

It's really just an absolute balance nightmare and it produces mountains of QQ. In vanilla it was why do raiders get to faceroll everyone else? or the recent change to PvP gear was decried as te death of PvP etc.
  19. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

I think it's all right for gear to be separate for the most part.

Players want to be recognized as being a "good player" in their area of the game. The PvE people want to be able to show their awesome raid loot/crafted gear, while the PvP crowd wants to show their awesome Arena/Warplot gear. However I don't think that if you're the top raider in the game, that you should be forced to start at the lowest bracket in PvP if you decide to try out the other side( and vise-versa of course). If you're among the top in anything, then you've already proven that you're a really good player in that aspect of the game and shouldn't have to be treated like a complete noob(by the game mechanics, or from other players) for trying out something different.

I think a solution would be to make sure that the top PvE gear is at least viable in the lower-end to mid-range in PvP. And the top PvP gear will at least be able to get you started in lower end to mid-range PvE (max dungeons, solo content, possibly a few hard mode dungeons) and have it scale down from there respectively. Someone at your same level who's fully geared should, theoretically, be better than you, but you can at least feel like you're not completely worthless until you start racking up a few pieces of equipment.

I do agree that a Raider who has full PvE gear should be able to pump out bigger numbers (or take less damage) than a guy in full PvP gear and vise-versa; you should have to work hard in a specific area if you want to master it. I just don't think you should be completely reset for jumping into another area of the game as far as combat in PvE and PvP are concerned.

And I get that his might take out some of the "hardcore" mindset that you HAVE to be dedicated to one thing, but if people try out something in game and don't at least have fun then, chances are they won't be back. So overall I think this approach might be a bit healthier for the game in the long run, but that's just my opinion :)
  20. Krakuun

Krakuun Cupcake

I really loved Vanilla Wow before we had resilience, so my ideal would actually be no specific PvP gear. However, I realize that no longer really works as you have people that play the game for different reasons and don't want the other group gaining success by using gear from the opposing play style. Still, I miss those times of no PvP stats..

So.. balance. Where that lies, I'm not sure, but it's not to have "some" cross-over in utility even if it's not optimal.