1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How to acquire Abilities

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Grug, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Grug

Grug New Cupcake

Another bit of info I gleaned from PAX East.

One of the buildings in the starting area had an "Ability learning machine". Interacting with it opened a menu with a long list of abilities, each one costing a single "Ability Point". The machine and the menu didn't look like placeholder, so it may be the intended system.

I had one ability point so I bought a warrior ability that let me shoot a plasma ball once every 15 seconds. It was pretty long range and went through stuff, though the cooldown was annoying. Once I had it purchased, I could swap it with any other ability on my hotbar whenever I wasn't fighting.

More interestingly, there was a button at the machine called "Refund Ability Points". It sounds like you'll be able to try different abilities pretty frequently, only limited by how many points you have and your access to a machine.

Also, the unavailable hotbar slots had a tooltip that said "This slot will unlock at a later level". Most likely you get more as part of character progression. Case in point: The characters we used during the demo (which were level 6) had 5 abilities, while the Dev's demo characters had 6.
    Rhynox, Bellaby, Fate Flyer and 9 others like this.
  2. Luciamund

Luciamund Cupcake

It sounds like a really decent way to scale complexity kind of like a wizard in dnd you can select from this huge pool before the game starts but once we are going and you are a level one you only get 2 spells. it may sound like too few but for a lot of people who are brand new putting too many choices in a stressful environment causes them to lockup. Take that wizard to say level 6 and the pool has dramatically increased and the spells they can use has expanded to about 10 at one time but that player should have a fairly solid idea of whats going on by then. this sounds like a really similar idea give you choices before combat starts instead of playing against user interface clutter after it does.
  3. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

I'm definitely a fan of these "deck" like systems that MMO's are implementing now a days. Having a large list of total abilities to choose from, but only being able to bring a small deck into a fight. It makes adapting and planning around certain fights a bit more interesting, and how you build out your overall character.

I was also never a huge fan of games that allowed you to use every single class ability at once, making it so you had huge array of clutter all over your screen. Most of which were abilities that rarely even got used.

Sounds like an awesome system though with the ability point machines if this is indeed how it's going to work. Can't wait to get in game and test it out.
  4. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Thanks for the info, Grug! There's so much useful information to be gleaned from the PAX demo, I wish I coulda been there. XD

I guess character level unlocks hotbar slots and skills but you have to go to one of these machines to actually assign your skills to your hotbar?
    Rhynox likes this.
  5. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

I'm still no fan of the whole limited action bar or "Deck" system, but it sounds like there's a good number of variation. I'll be a very tanky warrior, so I look forward to what spells will suit this playstyle.

On the other hand: This system may make it a little more interesting to pick what you could bring with you and what not. I just hope there are no spells you can't unlock or try out...I hated that in GW2 :I
  6. Hephen

Hephen Cupcake

Hope you can craft one of them and place in raids like the old repair bot
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You have to ''buy'' them from those machines, i've read somewhere that you wouldn't have enough points to buy every skill, therefore if people wanted more CC they buy CC skills and people who want pure dmg would have to buy pure dmg skilsl etc. etc. ''This way 2 Spellslingers could be different in skills even if the rest is the same'' (read something like that).

Don't know where i read it or if it was speculation.....so don't take it with a 100% certaincy.
  8. Nionya

Nionya Cupcake

Nice! Thanks for the info!
  9. InnocentCivilian

Yeah, I think the same thing, actually. :p

To use a cruddy analogy, let's say you get 1 point every 5 levels. So at lvl 30 (for example), you'll have 6 points.

You go to the machine and buy 6 skills; or if you don't like them, refund those 6 points back and buy a different set of 6 skills (assuming each skill costs 1 point). :p

At least, that's how I interpreted what was said. :p
    Rhynox likes this.
  10. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

No matter. The math guys will come up with the fotm ability set really soon.
  11. Grug

Grug New Cupcake

I don't think that's it, as even at level 6 I had more points than skill slots. Most likely you use the points to decide what abilities you want to take with you, and you can shuffle those around whenever you want.
  12. InnocentCivilian

Oh, with that analogy, I didn't mean to imply that you'd have less skillpoints than levels, only to theorise that:

1) You gain skillpoints with levels (the amount you gain is unknown, at least to me)
    2) They are spent at machines
    3) Are fully-refundable at those machines

But do you mean that you don't need to be at one of those machines in order to swap-out skills and change your build?
    Rhynox likes this.
  13. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

That's actually going to depend a lot on how the gameplay works and how the abilities work. Limited Action Set games I find end up having less FOTMs in fact than MMOs where you can use everything whenever you want.

See when you are testing all this and crunching the numbers, it's super easy to parse when all the abilities you can possibly use are at your fingertips. However, with a Limited Action Set game you can parse a super great DPS rotation and then someone comes along and goes " ah yeah but what if you replace this power with this other one?" And then people often argue over various builds and no one build gets nailed down as well as in other MMOs.

Add to that stats affecting abilities and ALSO non-main stats affecting milestones and it actually becomes a theory crafter's never ending dream to figure out the most efficient build.

Granted FOTMs will happen regardless as that's just how MMOs work, but it's a lot harder I find to nail one down as conclusively with a "deck build" system in a game than it is for a traditional MMO system.
    Rhynox, Bellaby and Kataryna like this.
  14. Grug

Grug New Cupcake

Yes. The way it worked was:

Machine => Character Ability Pool => Hotbar.

You could move abilities from the character pool to hotbar for free, wherever. It costs points to get abilities from the machine to the character pool.
    InnocentCivilian and Fate Flyer like this.
  15. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

That's out of combat though correct? As in you can't switch your hotbars once you've pulled/aggro'd?
  16. Kattzman

Kattzman New Cupcake

If you've ever played GW2 is kind of like that. Out of combat you can set the skills you've bought on your action bar, but once you get into combat, you're stuck with what you have set so make sure you got what you want on there.
    Rhynox likes this.
  17. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

That's what I thought, I just wanted to be clear as the GW1 approach of only changing builds in town was a real annoyance and ofc if it wasn't locked in combat then it's not really L.A.S.
  18. InnocentCivilian

Oh whoops, I shoulda been more specific - that's actually what I meant. :p Thanks for the clarification! :laugh:
    Rhynox likes this.
  19. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Guild Wars 2's PvP did a great job of this IMO, no matter what "magical build" you found on the web, it wouldn't work, simply because it can't account for every situation.
    Even in PvE, there was no weapon or build that could solve every problem, and that is the strongest point of a LAS.

Except for Greatsword Guardian, which always wins everything always.
    Rhynox and Patrician like this.
  20. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Haha, in the tests I believe it was even WORSE!

But yeah it's so much harder to create FOTM pwn everyone and everything builds just because of the deck building mechanic never being able to completely account for every single thing at once.

It my opinion it leads to much more dynamic and fun PvP as a whole, and allows PvE content to be designed to counter players in more interesting and varied ways.