1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How to be a Healthy Gamer

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Blankspace, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Xivra

Xivra New Cupcake

Ahh yeah, I can see that. During longer queues is when i'll usually get more food to eat(ectomorph, working on mass gaining) shuffle a deck of cards (I dabble in a bit of magic tricks), or pick the ol' 6 string up and strum a bit. Fortunately my tiny dorm room leaves all of these things about in arms reach.
    Blankspace likes this.
  2. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

With our big Eldan games coming up I wanted to make sure to bump this article I wrote up so y'all could read over it! Thanks for all of the comments and other suggestions so far!
  3. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

I just wanted to say that this story was very inspiring to me. I've struggled with bulimia for many, many years because of an unhealthy obsession with my weight, and only recently have I begun to heal from that, but I've found I'm incredibly frustrated with how weak I am. It's really scary to think of eating all of what Staci does (triggers those same urges that kept me "going" for all those years), but maybe, just maybe, I can try to do what she has done for herself.
    Blankspace likes this.
  4. Blankspace

I wish you all of the luck in the world!
  5. Catdurid

Catdurid Cupcake

I need assistance in choosing a protein. They guide mentioned a quality whey protein, but that doesn't really narrow it down.

Any recommendations, or ones I should avoid? Need something that doesn't taste bad also. I like strawberry, hate chocolate, and vanilla is meh.

I went to the super market, and picked up gourmet protein naturalle. It tasted like piss. Like somebody went out of their way to eat tons of strawberry/banana fruit snacks, and just piss it out.

Second choice was Dynawhey protein. Got strawberry/kiwi flavor, and it tastes pretty good.
  6. Blankspace

Not to be fully biased but this local company makes an amazing protein powder which is high quality, tastes amazing, and is the best for you in terms of isolates. The only other stuff you should consider would be hydrolized protein but honestly unless you are a twice a day athelete who needs the sort of protein that you couldn't get from eating meat... this is your best bet.

http://www.sfh.com/

Stay away from the large 5 lbs containers for 20 bucks. They don't absorb as well, have a ton of GMO <REDACTED> in them, and usually taste like rubber. If you send me a PM on what you are trying to replace with your supplement I can help you find the best option for you :)
  7. Awesomnius

Awesomnius New Cupcake

Thanks for the guide Blankspace. I've actually been thinking I should buy a timer so I can get it to go off every half hour or 45 minutes.
  8. Blankspace

Someone said I should stroll along and bump this thread back up so it might help people! So here it goes to the top!
    Yakzan likes this.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

You should learn how to bump a thread with style :cool:
  10. Bolt

Bolt Cupcake

I lift 4 days a week, and do sprints on the 3 off days.

I have to say that beyond looking good and feeling better, exercising/eating right also helps me focus better, and play better. I have a better reaction time, better focus and attention to learn/spec my class, and even better situational awareness.

Additionally, my mood it better as well. This allows me to keep my cool better when things aren't going the right way, and make adjustments instead of raging. The additional stamina I have because of being healthy also helps with this.

Typically, I line up my lifting days with my raid nights. No better way to supercharge your gaming session than a workout beforehand.

Honestly, living a healthy lifestyle has a benefit for everyone. +1 for this thread.
  11. Blankspace

I'm not stylish... have you see me on stream or twitter or facebook?

I'm a pretty straight forward guy, what you see is what you get ;)
  12. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

Create a post Blank on how to be a "skilled" gamer! LOL

My old adage always holds true on this one however...

"you can take a noob to water but you can't make him drink"

~ Koni
  13. Blankspace

Hmmm. I could perhaps write up a 'how to improve your competitive gameplay'

Biggest problem is... to really see results would mean actually putting them to use as you already stated :p
  14. Konoko

Yes. To me there are various aspects of "competitive game play". Obviously you have PvE and PvP content and I'm a big believer that an experienced PvP'er will perform better in PvE simply because it takes pretty quick reactions and thinking on the fly in PvP. In PvE things tend to move a bit slower so you have more time. Oftentimes PvE felt like a cakewalk to me coming from PvP. This is of course in regards to healing. Of course this is a pain point for me as I don't really like PvE simply because it was not as challenging. I liked Tera encounters in Hard Mode's because you did have to know what you were doing or it was very easy to be "one shot". Of course in Tera with their community that resulted in a lot of laughing and ridiculing at your expense.

Topics of discussion to me for improving your game play would revolve around key bindings, mental approach, your play style, and what are you trying to accomplish..

Of course for PvE a lot of it is just knowing what you will face. Boss moves how to counter them. I find this stuff very stale and non-challenging. I usually will go into my first Boss encounter cold and focus on what I "see". I like to figure it out on the fly. This can be fun but sometimes disastrous. :)

Cheers

~ Koni
    Blankspace likes this.
  15. Blankspace

I'm slowly working on a Youtube series based on this article I wrote! I hope y'all enjoy it when I finally start putting out videos!
    Konoko likes this.
  16. Konoko

When do I get a guild invite to Subterfuge. I wanna chat with you guys on Vent so I can give you what for! Also I may go Chua so that means I can roll Dominion.

Koni4TeHWiN
    GoGoKoniKo

(yah I have a ego complex!)
  17. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

go apply at our website (click the purple head in my siggy) if you wanna join us in SVG!
  18. Konoko

Thanks Kat will do! :)
  19. Konoko

Uh oh.. application submitted!! (there goes the SVG neighborhood!) ;)
  20. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

NECROBOMB'D!!!

That said, I keep myself "healthy" by running every other day along with some stretching and some other minor workouts afterwards. I look to expand my regimen later by adding more days and and some weight lifting.