1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How to be a Healthy Gamer

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Blankspace, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Deltre

Deltre Cupcake-About-Town

Good for you man, just keep at it and let us know how it goes.
  2. Blankspace

Blankspace WTB Fun Forum Title

Make a plan.
    Cut out bad foods slowly, add in great substitutes to replace. (1 glass of V8 100% juice to replace 1 soda)
    Find a gym, a gym partner/trainer, or a basic workout to start gauging where you are at health/conditioning wise.
    Go to the gym, drink lots of water, eat healthy food, feel great!
    Stick with it. This isn't a diet. This isn't short term. It should be for life and it should be a lifestyle change!

Good luck!
  3. Konoko

Konoko Cupcake-About-Town

*sips my mountain dew as I plan my onslaught into the world of EQNext Landmark*
  4. Deltre

I prefer my carbonated beverages with alcohol in them.
    Konoko likes this.
  5. Bastille

Bastille Cupcake

For anyone who's interested in trying something different than your average diet fad, look into ketosis. I started my current cycle 6 days ago and have lost over 12lbs as of this morning. It really is an awesome nutrition system that turns your body into a fat-burning machine. YMMV but I know how it used to be feeling like there was never a diet that seemed to work (although treating anything as a temporary diet never works).

Just putting it out there for those who haven't heard of it.
  6. Deltre

Bump for the new year and all those with resolutions.
  7. Blankspace

Aww thanks for the bump! I'm still around just more over at Twitch.tv/reablankspace so if anyone has any questions feel free to hit me up over there! :)
  8. Blankspace

Thanks for the bump man!

Hope you are enjoying your gaming dude!
  9. Ippo

Ippo New Cupcake

Take breaks, drink water, and exercise (I enjoy the p90x program)
  10. Deltre

Oh hey, two questions.

1. I broke my arm and tore a muscle pretty good and now my elbow shakes a lot during bench and military press. Are there any good support type things you'd recommend? Or should I just grab an ace bandage and wrap it myself?

2. Are there any good body weight circuits you know of? I couldn't really ever find any that I really enjoyed and getting to gym is more difficult now that school has started.

Thanks.
  11. WildFly

WildFly Cupcake

Just do calisthenics.

Check out the fortress's youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheF0rtress/about

I do mostly pushups pull ups and various exercises that he shows. I've gained lots of muscle and I don't ever have to get to the gym.
  12. deathtotherepublic

deathtotherepublic Cupcake

13. Lesh

Lesh Cupcake

Just wanted to add something

You can read all the wonderful advice in the world and try to follow dozens of different diets and plans, in the end you really need to make your own routine and your own diet. Everybody has a different metabolism and digestive system is unique to every individual, plus consider all the allergies and everything that might come into play. Basically what's good for me, might be death for you or the other way around.

Like many others have said, a break every hour is pretty much a must, otherwise you just start turning into a zombie. When I played WoW, I would exercise while waiting in que for a heroic or something. For me it's better to do some pushups/situps five times a day than to workout for an hour once a day.

Also don't buy into all healthy snacks and healthy drinks bs. Companies are basically allowed to lie. Im not sure how the industry is regulated and how/if the regulations are enforced but it seems to me that companies are allowed to say anything they want. Save your money and just buy some apples.
    Konoko likes this.
  14. Deltre

I had to jog to class the other day so I wouldn't be late, do you think I'll lose my gains?
  15. Todhaseo

Todhaseo New Cupcake

No need to tell me this twice OP,My DDPYogaing skills keeps me up and healthy

http://www.ddpyoga.com/

Honestly I recommended to anybody who can't jog or lift weights.

Did I mention I work as a dishwasher so pretty much that's my weight lifting.
    I also eat chicken breast at my workplace for protein.
  16. Arcane Avis

Arcane Avis New Cupcake

Along these same lines, how does everyone find time to game? If your aim is to stay healthy and, while it, also game fairly regularly, how do you maintain that balance? And how too do you manage to even have time then to game? Or do you simply play games for short periods of time? Is perhaps gaming one of your only hobbies?

I've become progressively interested in the answer to this question, as I've got quite a few hobbies, my main being rock climbing. I also enjoy hiking, camping, and backpacking, which I usually do on most weekends (along with swimming, once it warms up a bit more). I usually go to the climbing gym 4 times a week or so after work, and I stay till around close, so I'm there for about four hours at a time, which leaves just enough time for me to drive home, get ready for the next day, and go to bed. So on days that I'm at the gym, I have time for nothing else (sometimes not even dinner, if I've eaten a big enough lunch). Rarely on the weekends do I like staying indoors all weekend long, and typically am out on some type of adventure until Sunday night. Really, as of right now, the only time I have to game is on my days I don't go to the climbing gym after work, and even then, I usually am spending time with my boyfriend.

I've been a gamer all my life ever since childhood, but now as an adult, I've found it's extremely hard to game for hours on end like I used to. I suppose it's a priority thing and a matter of sorting out what matters to you personally in terms of how you spend your free time. I guess I may just be being silly and wishing for more time in the day!

Being that I spend so much time at my job working on and testing my company's software with hundreds of games, and therefore gaming daily for very short spurts per game also probably contributes to my somewhat lack of enthusiasm these days to continue sitting at a desk or in front of a TV after work to do any personal gaming.

It's just a bit sad in some ways to know I have so many games that I've been wanting to play and experience that I've been missing out on.
  17. Deltre

I feel you there, I'm also finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with hobbies I once enjoyed. Since I've started school I have barely played any video games and I was actually about to make a post asking people about their time management.

After I put in study sessions or bust out a paper my downtime is normally spent just sitting around, feeling exhausted, and enjoying a nice glass of bourbon. I'm not too sure if my lack of enthusiasm for video games is me "growing up" or what. I've also been gaming my whole life but I always balanced it out with physical activity. It's not even like I have a lot of classes......sigh I don't know dude.

If you come up with any solutions or tips I'd greatly appreciate it if you shared them with me.
    Arcane Avis likes this.
  18. Deltre

As to not derail this thread I made one pertaining to that topic over in the Chit Chat thingamajig.
  19. Pedrobj

Pedrobj New Cupcake

It's a paradox, to succeed you need to break the rules also you need to follow them.

I've been training for almost 2 years and stopped 1 year ago. It's true what all say about disposition. I must back my healthy routine soon (tomorrow lol).