1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

How to make a Sub based game work! Nerf the Sub! (long)

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by TuxedoMask, Dec 22, 2013.

?

Would you rather play?

1. World of Warcraft 15 dollar sub

29.2%
  2. Wildstar 9.99 sub

70.8%
  1. Drintar

Drintar New Cupcake

I just wanted to throw this in here for those convinced this is pay to win or something. The only other game we have that has this sort of model that comes to mind is EVE. Eve introduced PLEX in 2008 (so obviously it didn't destroy the game since the numbers of players have increased according to CCP). And this is a small quote from tenton hammer

The whole read is at http://www.tentonhammer.com/eve/guides/politics/free-eve
    Livnthedream likes this.
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Not really. Many of those players also pay sub based games. Whales exist in a p2p realm too, they tend to be the fans that buy all of the extra stuff in the store (mounts, pets), buy any additional merch (books, action figures, posters), buy special addition releases and/or fly to conventions and the like. A hobby is a hobby. Look at how much guys spend on miniature games like Warhammer/40k? A decent army there is $3-400, and that is without considering the time to assemble and paint (which plays into scoring in tournaments, even many friendly ones!).

Yep. Its many times less damaging to the economy since players are unlikely to start keylogging or running mass bots. Not to say that some botting won't happen, some players will certainly run them when and as they can, but players are nowhere near as good as the syndicates are that focus on it.
  3. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

CREDD is slowly winning me over. I'm still of the belief a simple sub would be best. I understand the point that 'that means there will be gold sellers, and that opens a slew of problems'...but I'm not convinced this will get rid of gold sellers. And I'm concerned if Carbine is too confident in their system to eliminate gold sellers that they won't have adequate defenses against them. BUT it's a lot better system than a f2p or b2p with traditional cash shops.

I just want to pay my sub and have access to the full game and not have little shinies and game boosts (inventory, exp boosts, dyes, etc) dangled in front of me for extra $$$. As long as that doesn't happen, I'm happy. If a sub + CREDD enables Carbine to not have to do that, fantesticle.
  4. spihler

spihler Cupcake

I agree.
    I am fine with any solutions as long it does not look greedy.
    I can understand that servers, creating gameworld, story, skill balance, modeling gear and mounts and their animation costs money.

But things like fast travel, re-customization, dyes, XP bonus, inventory or other cheap stuff should be free. SWTOR looks greedy to me.
  5. King Radinov

King Radinov Cupcake

Yeah. Makes sense. There is always someone willing to shell out the big bucks regardless. I wasn't trying to sound condescending about it or anything. Just making an observation that I've noticed. I was probably too general in my example. I don't have a problem with it either. If you got the cash spend it as you like.

On a side note... painting your miniatures is part of the scoring? Say what?!
  6. Livnthedream

Yeah, and I get where you are coming from too. I am not saying that f2p does not have drawbacks either, as it clearly does. It has suffered from many growing pains as different devs/publishers have abused it in various ways, and eliminating the barrier to entry completely certainly does give players a "free pass" to cheat and be a general douchebag as banning isn't a deterrent. I just hate that everyone and their mother slams f2p as though its a terrible thing when its not. I have defended both payment models on these forums, I just tend to spend more time defending f2p because of so many misconceptions and general stupidity surrounding it.

Depends on the tourny, but yeah. Even the "Friday Night Magic" type events that are not super serious often have at least a door prize for best painted based on judges whim or community vote. The rulebooks themselves have a section on it too, as you must have at least 3 colors on your model and the like to even enter many of them. There is two fold reasoning for it. The first being the models are so expensive it allows multiple armies to be told apart, especially when the same kind faces off. And because a significant part of Games Workshops revenue comes from selling paint and paint supplies. :)
  7. Draxus

Draxus Cupcake

8. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

Is that Poll Serious ? lol
  9. Draxus

Draxus Cupcake

I have no idea. It was a news site who linked to this.
  10. Livnthedream

I think he was referring to op, not the site you linked. I do have them bookmarked and take their numbers with a grain of salt as they do not gel with some other sources. In general though the growth percentages are fairly accurate though.