1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

I am meeting Jeremy Gaffney on Wednesday & i want your questions!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by KaeyiDream, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Anlath

Anlath UK/EU Community Manager for WildStar

For reference, Jeremy had a Pesto Spaghetti (I'm told he isn't a huge fan of fish). I had the Calamari which was very nice. ;)

With regards to "asking tough questions":

There was no limit put on what people could/couldn't ask *but* we did say that asking very technical questions would be a bit of a waste (since Jeremy isn't always involved in the nitty gritty).

We had a group of five Community attendees (myself and CRB_Elkina don't really count) from very different areas of interest. Some are PvP heavy (Afterlife Gaming), some RP focused (Renaise from WSRP), some more general and others Raiding. Everybody was being polite and letting others ask questions in-between their own.

I'm sorry we couldn't answer all the questions people wanted us to, but this was a short Q&A and a chance for these Community "Leaders" (if you want to assign a name to them) to sit down and talk WildStar, not a "grill the Exec Producer" press event. ;)

There's going to be a lot of information coming soon, especially around the big events we have announced and plenty of opportunities for press and fans to ask devs the burning questions. :)

Cheers,
    M
    KaeyiDream likes this.
  2. Grimnar40k

Grimnar40k Cupcake-About-Town

It was great, ignore all the entitlement seeking whiners who get an hour's worth of awesome Q&A and still complain. You guys didn't have to do this at all but you did it for us, the community. So from myself and I'm sure most of us, thank you guys for your time.
    Witless likes this.
  3. Gazimoff

Gazimoff Cupcake-About-Town

OK, let me put my video game journalist hat on for a moment:

*Flying mounts - we've already asked that question a number of times, and it's clear that there's no definitive answer either way beyond 'listening to feedback'. While it'd be interesting to understand Jeremy's own opinions, that doesn't represent a definitive yay or nay.

*Cross-faction comms was asked, but there was a heck of a lot of background noise, and again, it didn't really differ from what Donatelli's already told us.

In terms of hard questions, I can think of a few, but you need to understand that they don't always get the answers you want to hear. For instance, we all want to know what WildStar's payment model is, but it's clear that Carbine aren't ready to announce it. So instead, I asked why models are so tricky to reveal, and got an in-depth response about their approach and what they've looked at.

It's a kind of reverse process - thinking about what someone can talk about, what their area of expertise is and what's already been asked, and then tailoring your angle to suit it. You can be blunt and say 'Tell me your payment model,' but that will probably just get you a 'We're not ready to reveal that.' Far less satisfying for everyone.
  4. Evolva

Evolva Cupcake

Guys, you did a great job. Don't mind the whiners.

Every question will have its answer in time.
  5. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

I didn't particulary mean technical questions, more so something like;

Will the there be flying mounts, how is transportation handled at max level?
    How has carbine prepared to deal with the communitys pressure, if there is a demand to make every kind of a content available for everyone regardless of their skill and dedication to the task?
    Do the Rowsdowers have a plan?
    How will carbine handle content patches, what is going to be included to the smaller more regular patches?
    How often does carbine intend to introduce new raiding tier and PvP season?
    How serious is carbine with making Wildstar an E-sport?
    Which bracket Carbine is going to balance PvP around?
    What entry content is designed for the first time MMO players who have little to no prior gaming experience?

Those I can ask from the top of my head, but now it's wee bit too late so. :p

I loved the Dinner with the Devs, nice to see relaxed yet informative QA like that. Still I do feel there were some thougher questions that were not asked.

If you go to have a dinner and the meal it self is awesome, do you not have right to critisise that you had to wait little too long for your order?
  6. Grimnar40k

Grimnar40k Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah but it was a lunch afterall which I'd imagine to be a little more casual. I mean JG didn't even get to eat half his food as it was. lol

We still have Comic Con, Gamescom, and Pax Prime. I'm sure all of your questions will get answered and hopefully even the payment model and release date we can hope. =)
  7. Anlath

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people hoping for "more". I'm more here to help explain what is was like for those who were there and our intention from the Community side. :)

~M
  8. Gazimoff

* Will the there be flying mounts, how is transportation handled at max level?
    Currently undecided from previous responses to that question

* How will carbine handle content patches, what is going to be included to the smaller more regular patches?
    Donatelli's working on a 8 week cycle at present, more info here: http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=31749

* What entry content is designed for the first time MMO players who have little to no prior gaming experience?
    As per the video, one of their targets is MMO newcomers, but to turn them into hardcore players ratehr than dumbing down content.

* How has carbine prepared to deal with the communitys pressure, if there is a demand to make every kind of a content available for everyone regardless of their skill and dedication to the task?
    As per the video, he doesn't want to make a game for everyone, or an easy game. There are already other games that cover this.

* How often does carbine intend to introduce new raiding tier and PvP season?
    * How serious is carbine with making Wildstar an E-sport?
    * Which bracket Carbine is going to balance PvP around?
    These are better questions for Jen Gordy, the PvP lead.
  9. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

This!

..and This!

The whole tough question journalism thing is silly to me. These are folks who run fan sites and take time out of their lives to do so. They took turns asking questions so everyone could get info for their followers. It's not like they were interviewing heads of state and worked for BBC News.
  10. Infamouz

Yeah, and I understand it wasn't meant to be a grilling session for the devs. For my taste questions were still little too soft and broad, and this is more so critisism towards the people who asked the questions than the developers. If question is not asked, it's really not your fault you do not happen to ansver it.

I think the questions I listed were not that agressive that you shouldn't ask them, but that of course is only my opinion of the matter.

I did not mean to press on the Devs like Chief Wiggum (only audio unfortunatelly):
    Gronky likes this.
  11. Lori

Lori New Cupcake

Thanks for recording this chat, really enjoyed watching it. I could listen to JG talk MMOs all day... :inlove:
  12. Infamouz

Yes I have heard that before, but I more so wanted to know what are the first babysteps that are designed for the newcommers? I understand questing and doing path content is there, but when a player reaches max level what is the next step designed for them in order to turn them in to raiders and good dedicated players?

Yes again something I have heard before, but I want to hear how far are they willing to go with this? Blizzard never wanted to dumb down their content originally, but had to do this eventually due to community pressure (and other reasons, such as the only endgame content being pvp and raiding).

Yes you are maybe right, tho I am sure Jeremy Gaffney would had some idea of this as atleast the first two questions are more broad design points.

edit:Typos
  13. Anlath

Personally I think the Community folk did a great job, especially as only a few of them have any experience with interviewing Devs and only two have professional experience.

The questions were varied and whilst perhaps a bit too broad for someone who has devoured all the WS information they can find, for the majority they were interesting and fairly detailed. Tailored to the type of content they are looking forward to.

I think it's perhaps a case of personal taste as opposed to the guests doing anything wrong.
  14. Infamouz

Maybe it is a personal taste for the questions indeed. I want to remind tho that like I said, I did love the QA and really liked many of the questions and all the information and chitchat you guys offered to us.

Still I personally would had loved some of the questions I presented ansvered. Then again what I personally want is my personal problem and not yours. :p

Anyways, do not mistake that I didn't like the QA or that I think it was badly made.
  15. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I think there was only one whiner and he wasn't really whining much. But anyway, it's not like we worry, as we've got used to having many of our questions being not answered. I'm sure that if Anlath or others from Carbine find some time, they will write answers to all of those questions right here below my post ;)
  16. Gazimoff

Ah, I get you! Sorry, I misunderstood slightly :)

From what I understand (and I'm not speaking for the devs, but based on conversations I've had with them), the idea is to use the whole levelling experience as a training ground for endgame, rather than just waiting to hitting level cap. Part of that is the open world questing content, where monsters have telegraphs that get progressively more complex, and part if that is by using dungeons that are a foreshadow of raiding content. That way, heroic dungeons and raids should feel like a natural progression rather than significant step up.

I think the tricky bit here is that you're asking a developer to promise not to do something, which is an almost impossible thing to ask from any studio, not just Carbine. Circumstances change, the market moves on, the game ages and new games appear. The key thing is making sure any change is for the right reasons, and doesn't alienate the existing playerbase.

In my mind at least, it's too early for them to put a number on it. Gaffney said they are debating update cycles at the moment, and Donatelli's got a plan for content updates, but I think tiering etc is a bit early to call. I think the main thing to ensure is that there's enough new stuff coming in to keep things fresh and interesting, without necessarily being progression-grade content.

It's the same thing with your PvP questions. Jen's definitely the person to ask of those, and if she's at Gamescom then I'll try to get an update. We do know that they're using elo for ranking, but in terms of balance and eSport, it's not as clear. That said, I'd guess the main challenge is making sure that PvP is actually fun to play and has a unique feel, before trying to secure an eSports following. But aye, I'll be sure to follow up on these at Gamescom if I get the chance.
  17. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

You won't get a free copy of W* so don't s... :p Give us our answers guys, there is no better time than now. C'mon ,hurry, hurry,
    hurry.jpg