1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

I miss Non-Healer Support...

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Arkavien, Sep 7, 2013.

1. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

I played Anarchy Online extensively and it had plenty of odd classes, however the fixer was rarely seen as an additional healer even less so the higher you went up, perhaps it changed again now but who knows.

For the rest most of the classes just game you a small extra buff as all buffs were spread out, what was a good and bad thing, equiping items could end up making you run around asking for 10 buffs (yes in Anarchy Online if you got a new piece of gear you had to make sure you could equip it and remain in 75% of the stats to use it at full power) So that could involve some serious spreadsheet work and maths to plan ahead but that was part of the games charm.

For the rest to get back to the point only bureaucrats charms really played a support role beyond healing, I have a 220 engineer somewhat over half in AI levels but beyond my teleports and special blockers (what was mostly pvp only) i never had a role beyond dealing damage.

So i think you're looking at it a bit too much back at it with nostalgia cause beyond the odd situation you didn't really have support in your team.

In this game each class has two roles and those roles can be mixed match cause it's not like "you swap to tank tree/dps tree" it doesn't work like that.
    FruitPunchHero likes this.
  2. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

Actually, Acid... Word on the street is the beta got shut down because they are going to implement proper specs because simply gearing and skilling for a role wasn't enough.
  3. Syas

Syas New Cupcake

Agreeing with OP. My favorite MMO character I played was my Sonic Defender in CoH. He didn't heal, he reduced incoming damage enough for each class's random heals to be more than enough. Was a really fun way to play the support role without playing whack a mole with health bars.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  4. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

Ragnarok Online Professor for five years.

The days of the "Disabler Support" are long gone I think. But I'm personally holding on to the hope that the new ranged class will fill that role.

Healing is boring, chaining stuns are boring. What I like to do is spread misery. Status effects, slows, snares, blind, silences, disabling enemy abilities, stealing mana, dispelling buffs, resource burning...

And then taking ALL the horrible things I just did to other players/monsters and buffing my allies with it.

That's the most satisfying kind of support. You don't kill anybody yourself, you just make it 100x easier for your allies to do it.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  5. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

I actually enjoy this form of support as well. I wish more people would understand that there are other ways to "support" than just filling up a health bar. Damage mitigation and crowd control are fantastic methods of support and I always thought they worked well in the earlier days of MMOs.

But I personally believe they are not likely to return. The use of damage/healing meters means that people are gauged numerically against one another, and things like how much damage a support character mitigated thru the use of a debuff, a blind, etc. are not easily counted nor do people really care about stats like that. They want quick returns like damage/dps out, healing in/out, things like that.

Also, I think most players don't want a slow PvE game that requires the use of crowd-control. They want to have 10+ MOBs beating on the tank and the rest of the group spamming AoE abilities to plow thru the content. Breaking up a 5-MOB pull into individual targets is a lost art.

Finally, along the lines of CC, it's been mentioned by developers of other games that for PvP purposes players generally don't like to lose control of their character. In the same vein, I don't think you will be seeing mana-steal/resource burning in any future games because, at least for the Wowcraft priest, there was really no defense other than to line-of-sight the caster. Outside of PvP, Mana Burn didn't have much use at all.

These are just my feelings on the matter. I would love for the Disabler style to return and become a 4th slot to the trinity and be a support/dps style.
  6. Vermana

Vermana Cupcake-About-Town

It might not be numerically evident, but in PvP at least, a good "Disabler Support" will make a name for him/herself based on reputation alone. Disabler Supports make a bigger difference than any other Class in large battle situations like Warplots. So any Guild that wants to win a large battle will actively seek out good Disablers.
    They're usually the #1 Target of the enemy team since a skilled Disabler can mitigate dozens of enemies all at once, while your average healer support can't do anything of the sort, since they have to focus on keeping tanks alive and removing status effects.

Example: The Professor from RO can:
    -Disable the use of AoE attacks and spells in an area, which also removes persistent AoE healing effects,
    -Mitigate the damage of all ranged attacks in a small area, protecting large numbers of people (Both a bit like Death Knight's Anti-Magic Shell)
    -Dispell all buffs AND debuffs on a target, works on both enemies and allies,
    -Lock people in place with roots,
    -Endow allies weapons to let them deal one of four elemental damage types with their attacks,
    -Burn all Mana and deal damage to single targets, with a cooldown,
    -Swap your Mana with an enemy OR an ally, letting you instantly recharge allies or steal from enemies,
    -Sacrifice a portion of your own HP to recharge a large amount of your own Mana,
    -Place elemental areas on the ground that buff allies that are using that element,
    -Place areas on the ground that block a limited number of melee attacks if stood inside of,
    -Interrupt enemy spellcasts,
    -Absorb magical damage,
    -Among other less useful abilities and damage spells.

No healing at all. But still immensely useful.
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

What with WildStar's LAS system, I could very easily see players specializing in CC/disabling movesets. At least in a PvP setting, your concept could very well become a reality. I especially see it happening in arenas.