1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

I think there is going to be a faction imbalance

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by John, Jul 20, 2013.

1. John

John "That" Cupcake

The Exile have 4 "human-ish" races:

-Aurin
    -Granok
    -Human
    -Mordesh

All 4 of them have relatable, human characteristics and looks, as seen in the first WS trailer. We haven't seen much of the Mordesh yet, but we know they are an intelligent, civilized race that seems to have some parallels to humans.

Compare that to the Dominion races:

-Chua
    -Draken
    -Cassian
    -Mechari

Two animal races, one robot, and only one human-type. And imo what we have seen of that one human type makes them the least likable race in the game: arrogant and selfish with not much in the way of redeeming qualities for players to identify with. I know some players do like playing the bad guy, but as one of those players myself I do not find the Cassian's appealing...they aren't bad so much as just unlikable imo.

TLDR...players like human characters, that is the whole reason Carbine put humans on both sides because they know Human is the most popular race in most games. But I think even players who don't necessarily like humans still like to have something to identify with on a human level, and to me it looks like all the Exile races meet that criteria, while only 1 of the Dominion ones do.

There will definitely be Mechari and Chua and Draken running around, but I do tend to think that there will be a lot more Exile players at launch.
    Joukehainen, py00q and Zadok like this.
  2. Rackham

Rackham Cupcake

This is no different than what WoW has and I see an equal balance.

Each race is going to appeal to a different type of player. Each has it's own qualities.

Here's how I see each race will appeal to certain players. Keep in mind, this is just based off my own impressions. Definitely open to interpretation.

Exiles:
    Human - may appeal for those who like playing the plucky underdog.
    Granok - the big beefy fighter types. Think Dwarfs on rock-steroids.
    Aurin - I hate to say it, but the furries or those who enjoy anthropomorphic races. Not exclusively to that however. (in my mind, this could be the most popular race)

Mordesh - the emo, tortured soul types. Could attractive vampire types or those undead players from WoW.

Dominion:
    Cassian - those who like nobility or a more military minded human player
    Mechari - the cold and calculating character types. High techo / manga types might be a factor too
    Draken - blood thirsty hunters / klingon / tribal types. I see comparisons to WoW's orcs and trolls here
    Chua - feisty small race, in some ways comical - comparisons here to WoW's goblins. Could also appeal to the Ratchet and Clank inspired types.
    CaRaDaGaiTa and Tribe like this.
  3. Trigger

Trigger Cupcake

I do expect there to be an imbalance. Although me personally, I like races that aren't just different colored humans.
    Sia and Aheadache like this.
  4. Wordless

Wordless New Cupcake

Rackham is right, and personally I came from a server in wow where the animal/beastish races had the majority. Some people (and i see the logic here) think that playing a fantasy game with cool aliens and such.. why the heck play a human! we already know what its like to be one of those.

to me all races BAR the humans are cool and I really cant decide which side to play.
  5. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

I can put this to rest, There is always faction imbalance. In every single mmorpg that has this dual based factional warfare.
    Aheadache, Kasern and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  6. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

7. John

John "That" Cupcake

There are definitely many players who like non-human races, but I do think a majority play human-ish ones.

http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html

According to that site, 50% of all characters are either Human, Blood Elf, Night Elf or Draenei, the 4 races I would argue have the strongest parallels to humans. The other 9 races combined make up the other 50%.
  8. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Actually it's a little different than that. Probably still a bit of a niche race choice.

[​IMG]
  9. agien

agien Cupcake

I can agree Exiles may have the larger % of players. I can see that and that is fine.
    I think it'll be something close though like 55% to 45%.

I however think Dominion is going to have a more even spread across its races. Exile is going to mainly be Aurin and Mordesh.

In my opinion the Dominion races are so much more interesting to look at and play than the Exiles.
  10. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

I dunno, I've always been more of a class first person than race. Race doesn't really matter that much to me unless it directly relates to my performance overall.
  11. Lucker McNoob

Lucker McNoob Cupcake

Looking in ma crystal ball:

Humans/Cassians and Aurins will be the most popular races by far.

Mechari and Mordesh will appeal to the pvp crowd and gain a reasonable population because of male teenagers.

Chua will also have quit a few players because it's the only choice for people who like small characters. (WoW have many small races, spreading those kind of folks all around the place.)

Granok and Draken will be niche races. The crystal ball says Granok females will be as rare as female dwarves in WoW. *nods*

So who gets the bigger population? I wanna say Exiles but only a slight advantage.
    VakkD'kor and CaRaDaGaiTa like this.
  12. Zellfel

Zellfel Cupcake-About-Town

There's 3 things guaranteed in life. Death, Taxes and faction imbalances in multi-factioned MMOs. SWTOR had both factions with nothing but human-like races and there were still faction imbalances (specifically Imperial tended to overpopulate Republic). As long as each faction is given a flavor, more people will gravitate towards one side or the other. Even if you removed flavor from both sides there will be a slight population imbalance that will gradually even out to within a standard deviation on both sides. But that would be boring and no one wants that.
  13. Fightdude

Fightdude New Cupcake

I like humans, but I figure I'm pretty good at being one in real life. RPGs are a chance to do something different. I can't be alone on this.
  14. Ayora

Ayora Cupcake-About-Town

Not sure why this wasn't obvious from the start.

Every game with factions ends up with some form of imbalance, it's impossible to ensure both sides have the exact same amount of players.

Predicting the future of Wild Star population is also near enough impossible, we here in WSC are going to be about...1%, if that, of the Wild Star population.
    Luc likes this.
  15. py00q

py00q New Cupcake

Exiles will almost certainly be more popular. They have the cute/pretty/younger looking version of humans (always very popular) PLUS the dark/brooding/anti-hero type version of humans.

Beast and midget/comic-relief races are always less popular than those. Not to mention the rogue Han Solo/browncoat fantasy also appeals to gamers more than being an evil, anal-retentive imperialistic tyrant.
    Trigger and John like this.
  16. Steampunkette

Except that the Cassians AREN'T Evil Anal-Retentive Imperialistic Tyrants. They're just painted that way by players who've chosen the Exiles as their "Side"

-Rachel-
    CaRaDaGaiTa likes this.
  17. John

John "That" Cupcake

They come off that way in the videos of them.
  18. Yinello

Yinello Cupcake-About-Town

WoW showed that it doesn't always tip heavily in one faction's favor. You have the players who like human characters, you have the players who don't like human characters and the players who dislike being with the "popular" or "good" faction. The Mordesh were added to the Exiles to get rid of that goody two-shoes feeling they had. The Chua were added to the Dominion because all the other races are quite serious (who doesn't like a bit of mindless fun?). I'm actually worried that the Chua are going to give the Dominion the more fun quests, which will make me regret rolling a Mordesh. xD
  19. Steampunkette

I'd say Malvolio comes across as an effete culture snob from an imperialistic culture who has issues with anger and is DEFINITELY a racist... The rest I just don't get. Maybe it's because I'm not stereotyping all of the Dominion as Malvolio or all of the Exiles as Brinny?

Though in Malvolio's defense: Sci Fi and Fantasy are DESIGNED to be racist beyond all reason. Nonhuman species are almost always displayed as a monolithic personality and physical phenotype. ALL Orcs are Strong. ALL Elves are pretty. ALL Vulcans are Logical. ALL Romulans are Paranoid.

-Rachel-
  20. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

I guess I always accepted these monolithic personalities and physical phenotypes because the humans are supposed to be the average, jack-of-all-trades types. Humans in sci-fi and fantasy are always middle-of-the road, so it seems natural that the nonhuman races must exhibit an extreme.

Since the exiled Humans are sort of a sub-set of Cassians, I guess they can each have their own extremes if Carbine wants.