1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

I think there is going to be a faction imbalance

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by John, Jul 20, 2013.

1. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I think the majority of players like to play humans, so the only ones that will be considered as such as Humans and Cassians. I think to a large extent this will balance out the disparity of "players who want to play a human-like character." You can see from the WoW stats, the real jumps in population are around humans and blood elves, as they are the most humanoid of either faction with a night elf as a close second.

I think it moreso depends on how they make the dominion and exiles sound, because some players like to be the good guy, and on the face of the game the exiles come off as the good guys and the dominion as the bad. It doesn't matter if you find out that exiles aren't really the "good underdogs" until a few levels into the game, because at that point the player is already invested in their character. It needs to be evident at the character select screen. I think either faction has a good distribution for player personality. Both sides have a "cute" race, both have an oversized hulking race, both have the kind of race that you sort of look at and go "ew..." and both have a straight up human.

So, the most important thing for the faction balance at that point would be to convince players that both factions are both good and bad for certain reasons.
    Iamaom likes this.
  2. Jarek

Jarek New Cupcake

Which they haven't really done yet. ATM the exiles sound like the rebel alliance and are "good" and the Dominion like the Empire and if not explicitly "evil" then certainly completely ruthless.
    Trigger likes this.
  3. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

They have put out a little bit of information here and there that's starting to allude towards the Exiles atrocities. I think now that the Mordesh are out, the Exiles are going to get some lore elements that make them look like baddies too, and the Dominion being the good side. But as you've said, yes right now the factions look like Exiles are goodies and Dominion are baddies, at a glance, which is what most players will see when they first create a character.
  4. Xostro

Xostro Cupcake

I do believe there will be a faction imbalance, And I'm going to leave this here to clear up some things about the Dominion http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/massively-exclusive-a-closer-look-at-wildstars-cassians/

They Dominion are not evil, And the Exiles aren't good ether. They both have turn offs but I'm still favoring the Dominion for the intellect and heritage, All technology that the exiles use are replicated from skirmishes with the Dominion.

Not gonna get super in depth now, Cause I can take this really far. People need to understand that the Dominion are not evil.
  5. John

John "That" Cupcake

I kind of wish they had made the factions more polarizing, they are too similar for my liking. Don't really love or hate either.

One thing I really like that vanilla WoW did was they gave each faction a distinct visual style that carried across all the races. For the most part, the horde races were all mean and grotesque...they had a savage brutality in the art style. The alliance was generally pretty friendly and nice looking, almost cute in some cases.

Both factions had compelling motives for their actions, but visually it was much easier to classify the horde as "the bad guys" for the players who like that role, and the alliance as 'the good guys'. Whether that is a good thing or not is debatable, but I do like how it gave a distinct feel to each faction, it made the opposing faction feel very foreign and different from your choice.
    Iamaom and Zadok like this.
  6. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

Except that the Horde weren't bad guys and the Alliance weren't good guys...

People just ran with the visual cues.

-Rachel-
    Trigger likes this.
  7. John

John "That" Cupcake

My point exactly. The factions had distinct visual styles that made them a lot more polarizing based on your visual taste.
  8. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Ugh. This is the reasoning behind Bioware's mistake of having various colorizations of the human race. And to anyone who wishes to argue that they aren't all human, a Twi'lek's head tentacles don't count :D. SWG had actual alien races playable.

SWTOR was so caught up in their linear story, that they had to center on a very human like race for the player, because drifting from that and playing as Chewbacca wouldn't have been canon for Star Wars. That means, the audience would have problems relating well. Bioware said people related to the heroes and villains of Star Wars - such as Luke, Han, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Boba Fett, and Vader. Their sidekicks Chewbecca, R2 C3P0, and their lesser colleagues and aliens who happen to share the same profession, a whole slew of alien bounty hunters, are too unrelatable. So what occurred in SWTOR, all of the cool aliens are companions. What a joke. :cautious:

Additional note, I played through the Imperial Agent storyline where they show some alien bias/racism towards the Blue Man (Chiss). Lame.
    azmundai and Trigger like this.
  9. Lyng

Lyng New Cupcake

I do believe there will be alot more exile players then dominion players.
    If you look at the amount of exile guilds compared to dominion it becomes quiet clear.
    If I wasnt going to play a human race I would most likely play exile too.
    Good thing they put the "intelligent" human in the dominion faction. That should even things out, at least a bit.
  10. DonkeyD

DonkeyD New Cupcake

11. Keeper of Ages

Keeper of Ages New Cupcake

I wish factions would stop using Red and Blue for their banners and logos.

Red automatically reminds viewers of enemy units, blood, anger, negativity of any kind etc. Blue is associated with your own units in many games, "good", healing, magic and the like. Star Wars lightsabers also cater to this trend too, with the Sith using Red sabers and the Jedi Blue and Green. In Dune the just house Atreides were Blue while the vile Harkonnen were Red. Games like WoW among others use the red/blue factions too, and regardless as to whether or not the factions are in fact neither wholly "good" or "evil" the red faction is more often than not the more villainous/aggressive one.

Unfortunately the Exiles are Blue and the Dominion is Red. They are already playing into the good/evil faction colors. :(

If other colors were used perhaps it would be a little less "black and white"?
    Iamaom, Trigger and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  12. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

Every class in the game looks human imo. That's how we relate. Slightly off-topic (but not really): For example, if we were to actually find life on a different planet, it would defy odds if that life had limbs, fingers, a face, similar sensory organs with a similar arrangement, etc. Aurin has a tail and bunny ears while Draken have horns and sharp teeth and nails. Mordesh is large and 'rocky' while Chua is small and 'furry'. You get the point.
  13. Steampunkette

Actually there is a hypothesis within evolutionary and interstellar circles which could explain why humans are humanoid and why we should expect intelligent life on Earth-analogous planets to also be humanoid: The bubble theory.

Great name, huh? The idea goes that underwater air forms bubbles as it moves towards the surface. Why does it do that? Why doesn't it form pyramids, which are more hydrodynamic? The answer is, of course, in the pressures that force it to assume the rounded shape of a bubble. Similarly, water in space suspended in air takes on a round, bubble-like shape as it travels through the medium due to air pressure and elasticity of form.

It applies to evolution with the idea that humanoid is probably the best structure for interacting with one's Earth-like environment. Bipedal means you see farther than a quadruped. Manipulators forward of the eyes on extenders means you can create and use tools more effectively than a bird holding a straw in it's beak. Extended legs with backward bending knees allow you to climb over objects while fleeing more readily. Opposable thumbs allow us to interact with the world with dexterity. Forward facing eyes afford us the binocular vision and depth perception befitting a hunter, which gives us the ability to capture animals since we needed a lot of fat, evolutionarily speaking, to get such big brains...

Look at all of the other animals on Earth. None are completely bipedal, but they all fit into similar body structures. Monopedal (snakes, slugs, snails, etc) quadrupedal (Every mammal, most lizards) quadrupedal with the forward limbs utilized in flight (Bats and to some degree birds, though they're semi-bipedal). Sure there is variation within the body types. Lizards tend to have wider hip placement and more spatulate body structures than hoofed mammals, but they still share the same quadrupedal structure.

And that's how the Bubble Theory (very loosely) explains why specific -general- physical archetypal structures exist. And why we're more likely to see human-shaped aliens than floating Jellyfish aliens.

-Rachel-
    Rackham, Rek, Trigger and 1 other person like this.
  14. McGamer

McGamer Cupcake

@John:
    The Draken are far from an animal race IMO. The only animal parts they have it seems is a tail, claw nails (not actual claws), and and a beast-like face texture. The correct term for that is anthromorph. The Draken do not have long fur, anthropomorphic legs or actual animal paws. The Draken have humanoid shaped feet and their hands are slender with opposable thumbs. Just like the Aurin on the Exile side.

That being said, the only closest animal race the Dominion truly has is the Chua. Lastly, the Mechari are completely humanoid shaped, except with their unique skin texture to make them look robotic.
  15. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

its unfathomable that you still can't make a wookie.
    its without fathom.

so many races they could have used, but why spend time actually creating models when you can just reskin them .. chromaggus was pretty kick ass tho.
  16. Xevius

Xevius Cupcake

Learned something new today. Thanks for that Steampunkette; had never heard of the bubble theory.

Oh, and no matter what Carbine, you, me, or anyone else does to try and prevent faction imbalance, it will always exist.
  17. Steampunkette

While Faction Imbalance is basically automatic (unless there is an even number of players divided precisely between the factions) I'm just suggesting that people are exaggerating the imbalance, and pointing to the WoW census as evidence.

-Rachel-
  18. Sakorath67

Sakorath67 Cupcake

My reasons for planning on playing Exile are simple: Most of my friends want to play exile.

However, I find the dominion races to be much more intriguing than the exile races (besides Mordesh, they are too cool). The Draken are a very fierce and powerful race, the mechari are super assembled machines built to rule, and the chua are psychotic little maniacs, who doesnt like that?

I personally don't find playing human like races to be any fun. I play a human everyday, why, when giving the freedom to be something else, would I choose to be a human in a game. Too much human for me.

Love the mordesh because they damned themselves by delving into "unnatural" types of science, and paid a hefty price and become monstrosities. However, they have seem to embrace their damnation, and although they look for a cure to the contagion, understand that since they are already cursed they might as well see what other types of science and alchemy they can get their hands into.
  19. binzer

binzer Cupcake

Out of curiousity, how many people want to play Exile because of the "browncoat" appeal? I always play the more evil faction, but I was certainly given pause in this case!

I think bunny-people will pull the most girlfriend aggro (not to mention "I want to look at a nice behind" aggro) so that will probably result in some disparity.

Based on the polls I've seen so far, it seems like people are a little less drawn to humans than usual, so that's cool. Maybe because they're cartoony? I have no problem with humans, but it's nice to have balance. It seems like 9/10 people on FFXIV ARR are cats, and it definitely detracts from the game's atmosphere.
  20. Iamaom

Iamaom New Cupcake

Bit of a nit pick since I agree in the larger sense that they wouldn't be that human, I disagree on a more fundamental level. Even very distantly related organisms on earth have evolved similar features independently (convergent evolution) to meet similar needs overtime. Moths, bats, hydras, and star fish are all distantly related but have limbs, 3 of them independently developed eyes, 2 of them independently developed wings and methods to breath on land, etc.