1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

I think there is going to be a faction imbalance

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by John, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Rackham

Rackham Cupcake

I would have chosen Exile human, mainly for the Western theme and not just because of Firefly, although I do see a great deal of influence there. I also see a lot of influence from Titan AE, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek, Hitchhiker's, and even a variety of comics like Sixth Gun and Warlord of Mars.

Human would have been my first choice, but the Mordesh are just too juicy (or rotten) to pass up.
    binzer likes this.
  2. binzer

binzer Cupcake

Eww, now I'm thinking juicy and rotten; you're one twisted individual! I guess it's good that you're getting into the Mordesh mindset of finding rotting flesh delicious.

I also like that there is the age-old rivarly of zombies vs robots. Player-base wise, I think that one will be a draw (it's hard to choose!).
  3. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

I don't care about imbalance if there's enough players in each side to play

http://wow.realmpop.com/us.html

I'm an alliance fan, i would love to play on Kil'Jaeden and Bleeding Hollow... the horde number is overwhelming, however, there's a lot of alliance to play.

Bleeding Hollow: Alliance: 76.495 - Horde: 102.460

Kil'Jaeden: Alliance: 73.390 - Horde: 116.163

What i don't want is something like Azralon, brazilian realm:

Azralon: Alliance: 14.019 - Horde: 104.302

Full servers, with both factions high populated is the ideal. Probably going dominion, i will only play exile if a lot of friends play it.

Xalon likes this.
  4. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

If there was any hint of a population imbalance between the factions it was wiped out with the reveal of the Chua and the Mordesh. Both races are extremely popular and very polarizing which is the way it should be. I like to think that the Dominion and the Exiles will attract very different crowds to start, and then slowly homogenize over the years as people with terminal cases of Altitis make cross faction alts. This is of course a good thing as it will fuel the good old faction rivalry which really helps with community building and giving the game some sense of personality.

At the end of the day the sole reason why there won't really be a big faction imbalance is because Carbine decided to make humans playable on both factions. As cool as you think the Mordesh are, and as silly you find the Chua (or vice versa) the simple fact is that the majority of people are going to play humans and having them available on both factions will do wonders for keeping the numbers tidy.
  5. Eversannik

Eversannik New Cupcake

This is something that I have given some thought too and I personally think if there is a faction imbalance at first, it will be on the Exile side. My reason for this is the Exile races fit a lot of the common archetypes that might appeal to more people. With the Exiles you have people who like playing humanoid type characters. I agree with most people that humans will be the largest population of the races, followed by the Aurin and the Mordesh. The Aurin will attract the furies and the Mordesh the elvish and the dark and mysterious crowd. Granok will probably be the smallest of the 4, but there are a lot of people that enjoy playing large and in charge human rock steam rollers. Even though the Dominion are not being advertised as evil I still believe the crowd of people who just want to watch the world burn will play the Dominion. It reminds me of WOW at launch, at first most were attracted to the Alliance but over time the Horde seemed to appeal to the changing demographics and at one point there seemed to be one giant jump ship to the Horde side. On a side note, my prediction of maturity level of both factions, I would have to say Exiles will have a little more adult crowd.
  6. Roguehandle

Roguehandle Cupcake

Exiles with the more mature players? Wow. I am sure each faction will have their bad eggs. As for the topic. I see the Exiles having a lot of people at first, especially with the Aurin but the Domination will come strong with the Chua. But, we can speculate until the game comes out but that is all we are doing. Speculating. Carbine could have some other surprises for us to shake things up and making the choice between Exile and Dominion even harder to make.

In the end, most of us are going to try every race and class anyway as Alt..:)
  7. Steampunkette

Steampunkette Cupcake-About-Town

As a player who will be starting out as a Mordesh: I object strongly to the "Exiles will have more mature players"

-Rachel-
  8. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

It doesn't matter if the Dominion is evil or not, it depends on the perception when you create your character. Once you're in a faction you're less likely to leave it, because you've invested in it, and have friends to connect you to that faction. So, all that matters is what players see when creating their character. If the Dominion "appears" evil, then they'll shy away from it (generally). So, there's a small disparity there, but in the overall grand scheme, anything less than 10% of "imbalance" won't really matter, as long as the servers are relatively balanced.

It's not about the actual being good or evil, but the initial reaction of players. It isn't until you give the factions a second and third thought and actually delving into their lore that you see they're both very interesting and closer to neutral. Most players will hear news from their friends about the game, and the easiest way to explain the two factions is through Star Wars or Firefly analogies, as that is their closest representation from popular stories. Of course there's other nuances, but again, you don't get that until you've started looking into the game and lore more deeply. The majority of players will not severely research the lore before creating a character.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  9. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

This may not be a true reflection of the entire Wildstar population, but the current race poll on this site shows the Dominion having the greater numbers.
  10. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

This site's polls will be off, because 90% of the people who post here follow the game closely (as it's not even out yet) and therefore know the lore behind the factions. The average player will simply choose upon purchasing the game and creating a character which faction they think is the one that aligns with them.
  11. Yowser

Yowser Cupcake

Yes, hence my statement. But its the only tangible information we have on Faction balance, in comparison to just speculating which will be more popular.

Other than the current Beta population balance.
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

But it's tangible evidence we know is probably inaccurate, being that it's coming from a relatively small dataset with an extremely biased viewpoint. The data is barely worth mentioning, also, the more recent poll I believe had Exiles out front (after race reveal) and it depends on which site you're checking and such...

Here's the most recent poll I could find:
    http://www.wildstar-central.com/ind...l-new-races-announced.5091/page-4#post-124748

47.1% Exile
    39.9% Dominion
    13% undecided