1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Iconic Class Abilities and their Place in WildStar

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Patrician, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I've been thinking about this for a bit and really began getting curious as to what others thought of the topic. I did a little search as well to see if it's come up already and was unable to find it. Forgive me if I didn't use the phrase or words and feel free to merge my topic with another one if that's required.

Basically what I mean by the thread title is those special and completely unique abilities ONLY your class has but are not ever a required feature to bring to a raid. For example, a the dwarven priest racial "fear ward" is not what I'm talking about here, as that's something many people found "required" enough that ever priest got them.

I mean more of the special, unique flavor abilities certain classes get in game. These things can range from complete fluff (the Priest "Confession" glyph, or the Mage "Illusion" glyph) to actual utility (Warlock summoning, Mage portals). Personally, I adore these kinds of things in a game.

I like playing a class that is known for doing one thing and people are happy to see him. Now, I know WildStar has this set up with the Paths, but I was wondering if players might want more. Examples I could think of related class include:

Spellslingers:
    • They can make anyone "draw." Basically you click and your character draws their guns like in an old western and the person targeting you does the same animation and even has a gun in their hand even if they aren't a Spellslinger. This is an example of complete flavor.
    • Airlift - They can call in ships to airlift themselves and allies to major hubs (like the Mage portals)
    Espers:
    • Similar to the Mage "Illusion" glyph in WoW, they can 'become' an illusion of whoever they are targeting for a limited time. Another complete flavor one.
    • They can levitate and cast levitate on others which lasts for a limited time. Useful for exploration (slow fall abilities can come in handy!)
    Stalker:
    • Spy - They can appear as if they are a part of the enemy faction for a limited time. Any kind of combat ability would cancel out this effect, and guards might be able to see through it.
    • Informant - You can target anyone and make them tell you a deep dark secret! When used on the enemy faction during PvP... unexpected results may follow...
    Warrior:
    • Drop Pod: If they get two other group members to triangulate their position, other players can be summoned to the warrior's location via a Drop Pod. (like the Warlock summon in WoW but fitted to the WildStar universe)
    • Carry: A warrior can carry a player around on their back/shoulder if they fall in combat as long as that person is in their group. This would allow them to get someone's corpse out of a sticky situation perhaps if they feel they can't rez, but it would mostly be funny/flavor.
    I'll admit a lot of these are copied from WoW and various other MMO titles, but this was just to sort of "Get the ball rolling" for ideas. Would you like to see these kind of things in the game? Are you hoping they are? What other iconic class abilities would be good to see do you think?
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Love to see spells like that, and I think those spells are soooo awesome for RP'ing :up:
    Patrician likes this.
  3. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

Vanguard Psionicists had Illusion Spells, those were pretty cool. As you leveled you gained access to different spells and could basically take on the appearance of any playable race in the game.

I always thought illusionist would be a cool profession class. Maybe the illusions actually had buffs at higher levels, but basically a profession where you crafted scrolls or spells, heck you could even call them costumes .. that would change the person's appearance into the different races of the game, even including npc races potentially.

I suppose the major limitation to using NPC races is putting gear models on them .. which is probably why it's never happened quite like that. Just character races probably wouldnt have enough content for a whole profession.

I wonder if it would be enough to just be able to craft disguises for any normal sized mob in the game (wearing whatever armor the mob is wearing, appearance wise)?
    Patrician likes this.
  4. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Man I remember that and absolutely loved it! You could even talk to NPCs if I remember correctly and appear friendly to them even if you hadn't worked up to that level.

As long as it was just flavor, Espers or Stalkers getting a similar type of benefit would be pretty awesome.
  5. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

I like the idea a lot, there is one minor quirk with it though. As you said yourself, the moment the 'fluff' turns into any sort of utility people will be inclined to secure at least one person in party that can perform it. Now, I am personally very old school in this regard. I perceive it as a good thing, especially in context of a game with big raids. Chances that someone will be left out because he plays a class that can't battle rez are slim in a 40 men setting. Or even a 20men one. So the only groups really affected would be 5 mens. Still, abilities of that sort are simply fun, and contribute to the uniqness of the class. I also like the idea of racials, but not the way it was executed in WoW - so definitely no skill directly affecting combat related performance. Potentially even a 'living' racial, some race specific ability that will change or evolve as the game progresses, as lore is created and we all advance. Maybe building up to a set you can choose from to suit your liking. You could even push it further and allow it to interact with class specific abilities in certain ways, though that may be a little too convoluted and probably difficult to balance.
    Mudfin likes this.
  6. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

This is something I really love and feel is seriously neglected in recent MMOs. I don't care what anyone thinks but I loved the forced emote abilities in LotRO and other things that make classes unique. I loved having utility things in WoW with having mage portals/food or having a warlock along for summons. I loved the more utilitarian stuff you find in many older MMOs like classes that have unique movement buffs.

While I favor the more specialized class design approach you find in older games compared to the more current homogenized class design philosophy, I sincerely wish that Wildstar will have these unique, utility or fluff abilities that are unique to classes/paths. I want to have the illusion that my class is unique at least, rather than just being one of the three trinity roles. Give me something that isn't necessary to complete an encounter but would be desirable or useful, such as mage food, etc. Help make me unique in a sea of homogenization, just seriously, anything.
    Patrician and Alverad like this.
  7. Bantheera

Bantheera Cupcake

I for one would really like the Espers to have some sort of minor mind control effect on other players, like if you could make them dance, and a buff that does nothing, but says: "Happy feet!" I just wan't to spread happiness and joy!
  8. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I still cherish the Dwarf Priest Fear Ward. Then they gave that spell to every Priest. I will never forget that Blizzard, never! :devilish:

So yes, give me my iconic class and racial abilities.
    Kataryna and Patrician like this.
  9. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Better yet: Free Love an entire area. (google: DAH! 2) Cheesy pre-2000's dance music? Yes, please.
    Patrician likes this.
  10. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

I loved the Coercer ability in EQ2 that made people dance, or the Inquisitor one that made people kneel I think? Stuff like that can just be hilarious, though a lengthy cool down might be best so some don't abuse it.

And yes, unique travel powers and forms are right up the alley I'm thinking of. Shaman Wolves, Druid Travel, even Monk clouds, all things that I'd love the Devs to somehow incorporate into WildStar.

Perhaps an Esper could float along at 30% run speed with their hands outstretched underneath them and their eyes glowing bright. Maybe a Spellslinger could Water walk by firing some kind magic beneath their feet.

I just wonder if stuff like this is at all being considered. I hope it is. ^^
    Mudfin, ruff_ethereal and Yakzan like this.
  11. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

UO was full of these abilities and I loved it for them. There was an incognito spell that would give you a random name and appearance for a short time. My friend and I would use it to convince people at the Brit bank to enter our portals. We would claim there was some great vendor with cheap rares on the other end, but it was usually a portal to some eminent doom. We had to use the incognito spell though because we our characters were known thieves/scoundrels/reds.

Another great UO skill was the ability to poison almost anything. I mean I used to deadly poison a loaf of bread, toss it on the ground and then run off to hide while giggling. Sure enough someone would run along and be like, "Sweet, street bread! om nom nom" *feels ill* and die. It was always a good time and taught people the value of not trusting street bread.
    ruff_ethereal and Yakzan like this.
  12. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Quite a valuable lesson and one that really needs to taught in schools. Sadly Disney has corrupted our youth with messages found in such classics as Aladdin that street bread is not only great, but you can even accept it from a monkey.
    ruff_ethereal and Goreshank like this.
  13. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

Just remembered another Vanguard gem:

/handstand

wrong topic maybe .. sorta .. as anyone can do it, but doing a handstand just rocked.
    Patrician likes this.
  14. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

Oh, god, the wit in this forum is overwhelmingly awesome.
    Patrician likes this.
  15. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with you, but I would actually want abilities that are needed to complete an encounter, with 40 slots in a raid and 6 different classes it's unlikely that you don't have a single Spellslinger in the group, for example.

I remember the raid encounters fondly where you needed a hunder to tranquilize the boss, priests to mindcontrol the adds, mages to spellsteal a shield or warlocks to slow bosses casting speed. This really brought forth the importance and uniqueness of each class. I understand why they removed this flavor when they decreased the group sizes, but with the revival of big groups I would love for them revive this feature aswell.
    MeakGG, ruff_ethereal and Patrician like this.
  16. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Eh, problem with that is that you get into skew content. Blizz assumed that each raid would have 5 of each class in a 40-man raid and tuned them as such. Garr, for example, had 8 little elementals that he would blow up for massive damage, but he couldn't if they were Banished. He was tuned assuming 5 warlocks. If you had 8+ warlocks, the fight was a walkover. If you had 0, you were HOSED. I've seen both, and WoW only had 8 classes (per side) at that time.

Likewise, that Tranq Shot boss was a gimmick. You only needed 1 hunter for him, but finding a hunter that wasn't a moron was hard (and I say this as someone who duo'd with an EXCELLENT hunter for 70+ levels).

I may not like homogenization, but I really, really don't like being hosed on content because we don't have sheep/banish/insertrandomgimmick in the party/raid.
    ruff_ethereal and Patrician like this.
  17. Mierelle

Mierelle Cupcake-About-Town

I know what you mean, and I was suggesting more towards the gimmick type. No they shouldn't design an encounter to need a specific setup, and the boss doesn't have to be impossible without that one ability, but I would like for a class to have something that only they can bring to the fight.

All mages who have to make water for 40 people and warlocks who have to summon 37 people whould probably agree that this felt more tiresome than making them feel special.
    ruff_ethereal, Celtkhan and Patrician like this.
  18. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

So that's why the mages always hid the Darnassus portal in the Ironforge one to mess with us... And that's why Warlocks would summon us over the lava in Molten Core or send their eye of Kilrog to aggro Onyxia while we were gathering inside...
    Kataryna, ruff_ethereal and Yakzan like this.
  19. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

No, the Onyxia thing was because warlocks are eeeeeeeee-ville. ;)
    Kataryna and Patrician like this.
  20. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

For stalker I'd say a sleight of hand trick, like a pick-pocket.
    And I still love the /smuggler in SWTOR, where you raise your hands and a bunch of stolen stuff falls out of your pockets.
    Patrician and ruff_ethereal like this.