1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

I'd like to take a second to talk about Boobs.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Imafrakkincylon, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azhdaha

Azhdaha Cupcake-About-Town

We're almost assuredly not going to see chainmail in-game, but I think I've seen some character concept art pieces that appear to be heavier armor. I'm guessing we'll see some sort of leather for the Stalkers, etc., but I suppose this remains to be seen. Can't wait for a crafting reveal!
  2. Drapetomania

Drapetomania Cupcake

The thing is is that large breasts are part of Western standards of beauty and fantasy video games portray the ideal. Men that are "ripped," people that are generally slender, etc. It's not the designers fault that not everyone and everything in the world looks good and that people desire only the best.
  3. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

On a more serious note, as players our avatars represent our presentation of self to the Wildstar world. I love this game, love the devs, love the art... but I'm not gonna love my little avatar without a bit of tweaking.

We need to be a bit more individual...and while I may not be able to see how someone tweaked their nose in character customization, these boob things are very obvious and should be customizable. I hope that Carbine will seriously consider this modification.

And a thank you to Carbine...for listening about the reducing the hand size. It was much appreciated by a least one fan. :)
    eselle8, Joukehainen and SniperCT like this.
  4. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Naunet I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that I think that design is pretty insidious and brilliant. It's almost like a Del Toro creature where it has some attractive facet and then you take a second look and just nope nope nope... Most people upon looking at that model in game are going to immediately look at those breasts first, it's instinct. Then they are going to look around and in their confused semi-arousal they will realize that they are looking at something a bit different than they first imagined, then they will get hit by the telegraph they ignored due to giant green space-boobs.

Carbine knows what's up.
    SilentJ, JoeDragon and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  5. tyranade

tyranade Cupcake

Thanks OP and yes please I want to be able to choose a smaller sized bust! I stopped playing TERA because of the oversized exposed bottom of my toon whitch I was forced to stare at everytime I played. :p
  6. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Who would've thought women's racks would become such a controversial and heated topic. What a world we live in! :p
  7. Impaler

Impaler Cupcake

Nothing major, but in your sig you left out the "L" in "Build"
    tyranade likes this.
  8. tyranade

tyranade Cupcake

Oh thanks! :)
  9. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

so its an idiot trap

brilliant
  10. SillyStell

SillyStell Cupcake

I don't mind large breasted characters, long as it's not to hideously big, as I know it's trying to appeal an audience. Still the choice of have slightly smaller breasts would be nice just for my own personal needs. The thought of people looking at my avatars bouncing boobs makes me feel uncomfortable. If not I'll mange by wearing armor that hopefully covers my avatars ampule bosom.

Also I know this is a dumb argument but the whole "it's all just unrealistic standards, like the super buff men" I don't know I see that more as a power fantasy for guys. Someone to live up to and pretend to be. Boobs aren't really a power fantasy, least not for me, it's more of an eye candy kind of thing. Oh well we've got a long way to go but I think a size choice would help.
  11. Elrodeus

Elrodeus Cupcake

Got ya. So since we all fantasize about being fit, ripped, buff manly men with cut muscles all over and stuff that women just so happen to find appealing eye candy it's fine. Got ya yea...

But no the women have to be changed. We don't want women fantasizing about being all powerful and appealing to the opposite gender with likewise unrealistic proportions. Yea.... got ya.
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Wait... just a quick question... How many women reading this would choose a character with the smallest boobs in the game and make her overweight as well? What if Carbine went around the office and asked women which character models they found more appealing and that is what they came up with? (I'm not saying that they did, but if they did would you be appeased?) I'd personally rather them spend time animating everything else in the game, as opposed to spending time on proper boob physics... I mean honestly how often do you look at the front of your character while you're playing?

Honestly it fits the art style well enough. I'd also like to point out jumping a second time in mid air is also not realistic, there's no person in real life that can do this. Does this mean double jump's out the window too? Oh yah, also, rocks moving around like people... toss them out too. Hey those bunny ears and tails should be able to fall off because that's got to be a costume. Oh wait floating houses on pieces of land, they haven't shown me the math that this will work either. Walking out onto an unknown planet without any form air filtration system or respirator? Yup they all should be dead. Metalmaw is totally front heavy and should constantly be on his face.

If you really want to complain about the physics and anatomical structure of the game to be realistic, guess what you're left with... Reality. Honestly, can't you just enjoy the artist's work as is? Think how much those things would have to move with how jauntily Aurins run, hippity hopping, that would be truly distasteful... I'd assume the run animation for the human would be the same. They probably tried to put them lower and they were bouncing out of the armor every 2 seconds from the way they run, or slapping the character in the face. Who runs like that anyway?! No one, because guess what, it's a stylized cartoon animated game.

Edit: Sorry this came off sounding harsh, it's just really annoying to annoy all the other physics of the game but hone in on this one thing that's completely the artist's choice...
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  13. SillyStell

SillyStell Cupcake

Alright true true. Not all men wish to be buff. I don't want big boobs to really go away I just wanted choice. And I was just saying my power fantasy isn't men thinking I'm drop dead gorgeous, it's to be bad ass like most peoples but that's just me. I don't want big boobs to go because that wouldn't be fair to the women who do want that. Choice is all I'm getting at. Sorry what I said sounded kind of to far in the other direction.
    Saza likes this.
  14. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

If the men of Wildstar were walking around with two huge balloons between their legs you might feel a bit differently....but maybe not. Oh, and as an added feature, they bounce too! Nice eye candy, guys!
    Joukehainen likes this.
  15. 9bit

9bit Cupcake

The thing is, all the races in the game seem to follow the style of super thin waist and broad shoulders / breasts.

Look at some pictures: http://imgur.com/a/XJaAw

Look at that male Draken at the end! That is completely ridiculous and impractical. But it's the art style of the game. Hell even the robots look that way, and they would have no reason to.

All the waists are tiny. The shoulders are broad. And the breasts are large. Notice also that often the legs, the thighs, are large as well. This is a stylistic choice obviously. This creates an hourglass-like silhouette for the characters, both male and female. A consequence of a female having an hourglass shape involves large breasts more often than not.

The topic creator seems to have issues mostly with the physics of these breasts, being a woman herself. She seems to worry about her character's back pains. I suppose there's nothing wrong with injecting a little realism into your mindset when playing a game. However, I find it a little weird that she isn't thinking about how your character can be stabbed, clubbed, mangled, blown up, and launched hundreds of feet, and only take a few numbers of damage on a health bar. Where is that realism in your mindset? You don't feel for your character then, do you? I know I don't.

Don't get me wrong. I want sliders. I prefer to have smaller breasts on my female characters for purely aesthetic reasons. I am a man, so I do not (and could not -- I'm very thin) understand what OP understands about this subject -- I don't have that impulse to feel phantom back pains at the thought of big breasts. But then again, a warrior character can swing around a huge sword with little effort in this game. They seem to have the muscles for that. Maybe the female characters have the muscles to support their breasts after all.

Edit: great article. Don't know if it's been posted yet: http://penny-arcade.com/report/arti...t-like-men-the-disappointing-conversation-and

Understand that I agree with pretty much everything in that article. All I was saying in my post was that the phantom back pain the OP speaks about is a little ridiculous.
    Saza likes this.
  16. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure why people are arguing about power fantasy stuff and what-not. Shouldn't the main point of all this be about providing choices to folks to look however they like? It doesn't have to boil down to some kind of comment on society or gender relations if that's all that's being requested.

Cater to as many different fantasies or ideals as you can and make more people happy. I have no idea what the female power ideal is any more than I know what the male one is for peeps. Just add more variety seems logical to me.
    Saza, kiri, Xlugon Pyro and 2 others like this.
  17. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

Interesting, I didn't notice that male waists were so skinny until you pointed it out.

In the third image though, those Mechari seems to have different sized waists/chests, so perhaps sliders are already in?
  18. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Correct, "more options to do what you want" is the most logical solution. People who like big breasts can have them, people who like small ones can have those.

Unfortunately there's an entire population of people who feel personally insulted that you would even consider making a characters breasts smaller like you literally stole something from them. As evidenced in this thread where people bemoaned others who disagreed with their tastes in mammaries even when the options were "big tits" and "sliders with big tits"
  19. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

The one on the right isn't wearing a top so his waist is showing (or maybe those gold things are the chest piece?)

Basically, clothing kinda fills out the form on characters/
  20. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

The very opposite end of the scale? Probably not. But if I had a few options to choose from, the current body types wouldn't be the ones I picked. As to what other women would choose, my guess would that you'd see a range of choices, as you do with most other customizable features. Some women like and identify with the characters with extreme hourglass figures, others want a tougher or more boyish feel, and many would want something in between. And,no, I don't see why the fact that women on the design team were satisfied with the level of customization should be very relevant to whether I like the character I'm able to create or consider her a bit embarrassing or disappointing.

I think character customization is as important as anything else in the game. I'd note that according to commenters, they have already decided to put "boob physics" in the game. Given that they put in the effort for that, I don't think it's unreasonable to request that they make a handful of body type options to apply those physics too. And yes, of course there should be options for male characters as well.

I look at my character pretty much constantly. Don't we all? The body type is one of the things that's most visible in behind the shoulder mode. By this philosophy, what should really be eliminated from the game would be facial sliders, something almost everyone likes.
    Saza, Naunet, Huffle Puff and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.