1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

I'd like to take a second to talk about Boobs.

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Imafrakkincylon, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

I like the idea of having body customization options. I generally play male characters and always thought that it was a bit ridiculous that my old Warcraft human mage looked like he could bench press a volkswagon. I would have liked it if I could have made the mage less hulk like and more slim. The human model worked fine for a warrior though, you'd expect a warrior to be pig ugly and look like a brick you know what house. My friend played her female human warrior and I always told her it looked off when her little waif avatar was swinging around this giant 2-handed sword. Swords that large are very heavy to work with, you'd need some pretty decent muscle tone to actually use one, and most of the female avatars in Warcraft didn't have the type of muscles that would have made that possible. I guess magic did it?

That's one of the big reasons that I couldn't play TERA, or even take it seriously. The whole thing just looked super ridiculous to me. Warcraft had a few bikini plate options for a while, but they generally weren't that over the top with it. Tera embraced that concept and just made it absurd, body dimensions, armor coverage, everything. I think that Lord of the Rings Online had the best female armor and body proportions.

I think Wildstar is a bit on the better side with this from the photos that I've seen, even if some of the cartoony stylization leads to zomg boobs! in some photos. My question to Liara (the Aurin girl on the left side there from the intro video) is what purpose does wearing that corset thing serve in battle? I think her armor looks pretty cool, but she may not be overproportioned so much as a victim of questionable combat fashion? I've seen corsets do some impressive things to a girl's natural assets, but I'm not sure wearing one into combat is the smartest thing ever. You probably also want to protect your heart, as it's reasonably important to your survival (unless Aurin anatomy is really different or something). Maybe she should talk to Sarge there about how to properly armor herself.

I also watched the meet the Exiles video, and the human girl doing the narrative doesn't seem ridiculously proportioned, and she's at least dressed reasonably modestly in work clothes. It's not nearly as bad as some games that I've seen. I wouldn't choose that body type for a female avatar, I'd probably choose one that looked like she ate a few more sandwiches if I'm being honest here. :)

Hopefully they give everyone options. With both male and female avatars. We end up looking at our avatars for years sometimes, it helps a lot if they are more realistic.
    Apostate and Trahma like this.
  2. Galosha

Galosha Cupcake

Men as easily offended as women, only nobody dare draw a half-metre tent pitcher on their characters. Give it to all male personages, i want to see how they appreciate my G-cup. (in jest).
    Joukehainen likes this.
  3. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

Why do all of these threads have to devolve into What Men Want vs What Women Want? Jesus, can't we all acknowledge that we have different preferences regardless of our genitals?

I want to be a sexy goddess with long flowing hair and perfect tits and impractical armor - after all, my character is a total badass, she doesn't need to be practical.
    The implication that I should or shouldn't want that because of my gender is just annoying.

but +1 for groin sliders
    Isy, Apostate, Leiloni and 3 others like this.
  4. Menchi

Menchi Cupcake-About-Town

Yep, female bodies are certainly idealized a bit more than men's. Why is that? Because men love it. That's what many (sadly) men look for in women these days. Thanks, media. That said, women generally aren't walking around town staring at guys' crotches. They may be looking at muscle and overall tone, but not really crotches.

Where do you think the phrase, "Tall, dark, and handsome" comes from? Most women notice very different things and artists, Hollywood, and the media know this. That's why we get the different emphasis on varying aspects of characters. It's not about, "Ooh, that's about power, and this is about sex." Not at all.
    If you want to make that argument, we can bring up how women use sex as both a punishment and a motivator.
  5. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

Personally, I find disproportionate boobs ugly (or aesthetically displeasing, if I were to be politically correct). Just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean things have to be over-exaggerated.

I get that this argument is done a lot, and it often comes off as feminists/white knights complaining that female characters in games/comics/anime/etc set unrealistic expectations. Honestly though, that isn't my issue (as the exct same thing can be said about the depiction of males in media). Believe it or not, not everyone likes ridiculously large boobs.
    Saza, Huffle Puff and Naunet like this.
  6. Corruptdevil

Corruptdevil Cupcake

When i saw the most recent post was zapp brannigan i was expecting quite the opposite response you actually gave.
    Trahma likes this.
  7. Menchi

And not everyone likes to eat meat, but you don't see people trying to shove vegetarian ideals into a bloody game.
    Verilyn and Anonity like this.
  8. Cottonspore

Cottonspore Cupcake-About-Town

Except that's not an idealized female body. That's a set of inflated sex characteristics popped onto a vaguely skeleton-like shell. It is ideal for only ONE thing. And yeah, you just answered the question: because men love it.

If you want to make that argument about how women use sex as both a punishment and a motivator, I guess we can stop talking because that's completely derailing the conversation about how presenting this body as the ideal female body is telling a woman everyone that the ideal woman IS a sex object who exists to be looked at by men.
  9. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

When I have the choice, I always select what would be a small or normal size for chest. I think the devs should wear prosthetic boobs for a day...large ones...and see if their world view changes a bit. :)
    Trigger likes this.
  10. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Cupcake-About-Town

Right, we have different opinions. This is the internet, I assumed that was a given.

No, not everyone likes to eat meat, so it's nice when the option for vegetables is there.

It was a terrible name/avatar choice for being taken seriously.
    Saza, Trigger, Huffle Puff and 2 others like this.
  11. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

<Mod Monocle> This thread is fine and noble, but please, for the love of all that is good, please avoid twisting it into a thread related to ongoing discussions about the nature of video game aesthetics in relation to sexism/feminism/etc like a few posts already edged towards. That is an extremely volatile subject, much like politics and religion, and I will come down real hard on the thread if I see it happen. I do not want to see that happen because the discussion of what could be summed up as "Boob sliders" is worth having. </Mod Monocle>
    Khrusky, Xlugon Pyro, Trahma and 3 others like this.
  12. Outburstz

Outburstz Cupcake-About-Town

The bigger the bouncier the better.

That is all.:cool:
  13. Shoogli

Shoogli Cupcake-About-Town

Oh I found some more :

The difficulty of focusing on the choice of hairstyle... :p

Repeat after me : hairstyle, hairstyle, hairst...
  14. Apothecary

Apothecary Cupcake

The thing is as a male im fully support the ladys on this one they have a right to choice everyone does they shouldnt be forced to have huge anatomy.

Also im probley the only 16 year old male that would say i find things that huge really really unattractive, The natural form is so much better in my view.

Now to any older men who have family's etc here's the question: If you had a daughter and they came geared up looking like well whats being described by the ladys and others here how would you react ?

Im probley guessing you would go bat crazy.
    Trigger, Khrusky and Joukehainen like this.
  15. Menchi

Oops, sorry Cottonspore, I can't continue to emphasize and better detail my points. Mod says it's no bueno.
    But if you'd like to PM me, I can probably break down the whole idea of why the two models are accentuated so differently. Same goes for anyone else. Ciao!
  16. Kethrym

Kethrym Well-Known Cupcake

This^

For the record, I'm pro boob sliders.
    Trahma and Verilyn like this.
  17. Anonity

Anonity New Cupcake

Then again, a woman who plays video games with cartoony characters and feels like their proportions should match those of the characters, most likely has other issues.
    What in the entire design of these characters tells a person that they should look like them? Where does it say these bodies are "ideal"? They aren't designed after real people.
    It's not this game's problem to deal with issues in society. It's not the devs fault if you look at these characters and say "I should look like them."
    Leiloni, Xlugon Pyro and Menchi like this.
  18. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

at....least.... they move??? better than rock hard tits that don't even wobble ;)

also, if those who want small boobs can have them, and those who want large boobs can have them, I'd be a very very happy woman. (big boobs ftw!)
    Verilyn likes this.
  19. Impaler

Impaler Cupcake

I agree that options should exist and that gigantic breasts are unappealing and silly, but the OP was reffering to the Aurin's which in imo are rather tiny in comparison to what is out there. That's all.
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  20. EpicBubble

EpicBubble Cupcake

So I take it your more of a Bum man.

I do think they should be fair about this, such as a package slider especially for the granok who have need more boulders than brains (wait that's not how it goes >.<).

In WoW (yes that blight of a game) I do find it odd how every character of a race is the same height size boob size beard size leg size.
    Khrusky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.